2.16 Alpha

News, happenings
Lobster
Official Crustacean

2.16 Alpha

#1 Post by Lobster »

Only an Alpha - check out the icons. Using it now. OK not for general release but this is too good not to use . . . Simple and elegant.

Awesome. Barry Kauler and Team Puppy are on to another great release . . .
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy216

Any bugs (another thread for that please)?
Internet / pupctorrent (no icon on the menu)

Test it now. You know you want to :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#2 Post by Béèm »

Merci beaucoup Lobster. :wink:
Thank you for informing.
I use the 2.16 experiment2 for some 2 weeks now and it is nice.
I like much the bootmanager for selecting and loading sfs files for the next boot.

I am also happy as it is the first time I can go to a windows share via LinNeighborhood over my ethernet Firewire connection. Didn't work in the other release up to now.

So this is all encouraging as I saw now, that aufs is the direction to go.
Not sure if it is already in the 2.16 alpha.

So I recommend to try the alpha.

John Doe

#3 Post by John Doe »

This looks like a good spot for feedback, so...

Too many positives to bother listing.

(CD booting USBFlash)
puppy pmedia=usbhd
or
puppy pmedia=usbflash

Main gripes so far are:

1-The bootmanager never stops poping up. Perhaps my premise is wrong here, but I thought it was only supposed to show up once and then go away. I see it everytime I reboot.

2-That new STOP EVERYTHING message is there constantly. I saw it once then 6 minutes later it showed up again. I've seen it at least 10 times in the last 2 hours. It's almost as bad as Windows Genuine Advantage. It really breaks up the "zen" of computing. Maybe it's because I only chose a 32meg save file. Also it seems to not show up when I don't do as much. Perhaps a compination of the two somehow.

I'll continue tinkering and report anything else.

*EDIT Apr 25 18:42 EST

Tried with 512meg save file, both encypted and not and still receive the bootmanager everytime. Tried (with both previous save file types each) both htting ok with the default check box check and with it not. I'm using 3 squash files.

Also with 512meg save file (1GIG of RAM) still get the "Stop Everything" message almost every 6 mintues (sometimes more often, sometimes less). I've actually had files disappear that I had just downloaded (small political video clips) and my custom background picture just vanished at one point (I had even rebooted after setting it, prior to the incident).

I'm starting to have some serious doubts about this flushing thing working under heavy use as an automatic system. Sometimes I'll be watching streaming media and it pops up. How do I stop everything then? Or if I'm across the room just listening to tunes or something. I can only imagine what it's going to mangle if I'm running T2 on an external drive or have an NTFS drive mounted.
Last edited by John Doe on Wed 25 Apr 2007, 23:55, edited 2 times in total.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#4 Post by Béèm »

John Doe wrote:This looks like a good spot for feedback, so...

Too many positives to bother listing.
Do you run the 2.16alpha already?
In what mode are you running?
I run LiveCD 2.16experiment2 and a pup_save of 704MB
Main gripes so far are:

1-The bootmanager never stops poping up. Perhaps my premise is wrong here, but I thought it was only supposed to show up once and then go away. I see it everytime I reboot.
I don't have the problem
I select a sfs to load at next boot and it does the job.
2-That new STOP EVERYTHING message is there constantly. I saw it once then 6 minutes later it showed up again. I've seen it at least 10 times in the last 2 hours. It's almost as bad as Windows Genuine Advantage. It really breaks up the "zen" of computing. Maybe it's because I only chose a 32meg save file. Also it seems to not show up when I don't do as much. Perhaps a compination of the two somehow.
I never saw such a message in 2.16 experiment2
Maybe 32MB is a little low, but you probably have a good reason to use it that way.
I'll continue tinkering and report anything else.
That's the good spirit to exchange experiences.
I just downloaded the 2.16alpha at will try it soon and report also.

Henry

#5 Post by Henry »

2.16 alpha looks and works the best yet!

As Barry suggested I first booted with a clean home to see the elegant new desktop - the best yet, too.

Without saving this I rebooted with my usual .2fs and everything was fine, except that Open Office was missing of course. So I put its .sfs into home, and it's now complete.

Note: I had none of the problems noted by others above, although the .sfs boot mgr never popped up (I had to select it from the menu.

This is just great!

Henry

Béèm

#6 Post by Béèm »

In 2.16 experiment 2 I had never the boot manager pop up autamatically.
I don't know if it is supposed to be.
I choose from the menu, which looks to me the logical thing to do, as ones a sfs selected to boot, the boot manager isn't needed anymore.

Pizzasgood

#7 Post by Pizzasgood »

I haven't run this yet, but I've followed the Blog. The "stop everything" message is new with this version. It only appears when running in mode 13 (as in booting from FLASH media). In that case, Puppy stores your changes in RAM to extend the life of the drive. It flushes back to it every thirty minutes and on shutdown. This is how it has always been, at least for a very long time. What's new is the message and that it will also flush when RAM starts to get scarce.

So, if you had it more frequently than twice per hour, that means either you were rough on ram or there's a glitch in the part that calculates how much ram is being used.

Oh, something else that changed is that previously, it didn't actually flush the files, it just copied them. So your RAM would gradually fill up until you rebooted.

I'll be downloading and installing this alpha later tonight so I can experience it myself. I've been abstaining from non-final releases lately due to time issues (with the exception of 2.15CE), but my semester is finally winding down (last week of class now, finals next week) and this one has so many goodies that I just have to try it. Plus I can already tell I might need to tweak an icon or two. Why is it always the usb icon that doesn't match? (If you weren't around from 1.0.3 to 1.0.9 or so you probably don't know what I mean...)
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Béèm

#8 Post by Béèm »

That explain, why I never got the block message.
I run in LiveCD mode.

Béèm

#9 Post by Béèm »

OK, I am in 2.16 alpha now.
Looks good and picked up the 2.16 experiment2 pup_save.
Didn't ralize the experiment 2 was a 2.15 version.
Version conversion was done and the versioncleanup generated.
My previous background image was picked up, cool.
My network settings were kept as well so I was directly connected on the net.

But as in previous version changes, I lost again the dotpup menu entry.
This is really a pitty.

In package manager I see the list of the installed files.
But for some I have to chase again where they are located.

SeaMonkey is still at 1.08.
I had hoped, it would have been 1.11 as this one has spellchecking on the fly. Well at least my bookmarks are retained. :D

My OOo sfs, I had configured before to be loaded at boot time is there too.

So far it looks good.

mysticmarks

cd apps

#10 Post by mysticmarks »

I havent tried the alpha yet, but someone should try to rip a cd with ripper x and try the other disk burning apps too.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#11 Post by BarryK »

John Doe, I also commented on this is the blog where you posted -- you should be getting that save-message every 30 minutes if you have 'pmedia=usbflash'.
I think perhaps I will change it to a very small discrete message in the corner of the screen.
-- or maybe just not have it at all.
You really don't have to stop what you are doing, that is just an ultra-precaution.

vern72023

#12 Post by vern72023 »

I would vote not to have it at all - or if you have to have it get it to flash an icon in the taskbar

George
george

Sage

#13 Post by Sage »

The full install of alpha is still working well today. Along with many others, I would've preferred 2.16exptl2 with Opera, but Barry didn't fix the installer on that version. Also, as noted by others, I prefer MUT as default.
Why are the variable (personal) settings not saved during installation?! It is necessary to reinstall mine after the first HD reboot. Don't think this was always the case?
Some comments and considerations on BK's blog and at
http://www.puppyos.net/forum/azbb.php?1177583377

davec51

sfs files from 215?

#14 Post by davec51 »

I upgraded to 2.16 Alpha yesterday. It looks good, though I haven't found any particular differences of improvements over 2.15CE.
It doesn't pick up my oo_215.sfs file, however. Should I delete it and wait for a new sfs? And I suppose my web_215.sfs file is similarly useless now.
Please advise. I am the archetypical end user everyone talks about.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

change pmount to mut

#15 Post by Lobster »

Sage wrote:I prefer MUT as default.
I prefer MUT - have to read and decipher Pmount. Barry uses Pmount. Maybe if somone worked on a MUT like or better front end for Pmount? Barry did some work on Pmount recently but MUT still seems to be peoples preference . . .

right click on the drive icon
edit icon
change 'pmount' to 'mut'
Barry also asked for alternative grey backgrounds - the enclosed is 20k - done entirely in Mtpaint and based on a 2.15 background

The graphic scales well to higher resolutions but is designed for my LCD - so not sure how it works on bright RGB monitors . . .
Regarding the all black suggestion by Sage in a later post. Well I prefer all white for legibility. Grey is quite a good compromise. I rather like the minimalist ideology and it should please Bugman who writes music based on the sound of his hard drive [but that is another story] :)
Attachments
grey.jpg
(19.43 KiB) Downloaded 1780 times
Last edited by Lobster on Fri 27 Apr 2007, 07:20, edited 2 times in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Pizzasgood

#16 Post by Pizzasgood »

Just rename them from <whatever>_215.sfs to <whatever>_216.sfs. I don't know if they'll work in 2.16, but they might. Probably there will be some minor bugs, but they should be okay overall. I'm fairly certain that web_215.sfs will be fine, because I intentionally made it as independent from Puppy 2.15CE as I could. I'm actually using it in Pizzapup 3.0.1 right now. One issue you might have is if Seamonkey will load the Flash and Java plugins from it, as I don't know if 2.16 has Seamonkey in the same spot as 2.15. Firefox will be fine though, since it's contained within the web_215.sfs itself.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

WhoDo

Re backgrounds for Puppy Luv

#17 Post by WhoDo »

Lobster wrote:Barry also asked for alternative grey backgrounds - the enclosed is 20k - done entirely in Mtpaint and based on a 2.15 background[/i]
I thought he was also interested in "light" backgrounds that will go well with Puppy Luv. Here is my "quick and dirty" response to that request. :P

http://www.puppylinux.org/user/photogal ... ?photo=243

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Fishy

#18 Post by Fishy »

Perhaps it is just me but Gparted doesn't seem to function in alpha. I decided to reformat the logical partition where Exp2 was on and it wouldn't reformat! I tried three times and then changed to the experiment 2 disk and reformated without issue.

Another great puppy which seems faster. :D

Sage

#19 Post by Sage »

In one of the other locations I cited above, I reiterated the argument for an all-black (Kiwi?!), power-saving, life-extending BLACK background default. It looks great, too. Folks with poor sight and oldies will also appreciate this choice for its improved contrast. Black can, of course, be self-selected at any time from the menu. This will also redirect essential effort towards bug-fixing and development rather than breeding yet another generation of amateur artists and graffiti writers....

davec51

Using .SFS Files

#20 Post by davec51 »

Pizzasgood wrote:Just rename them from <whatever>_215.sfs to <whatever>_216.sfs. I don't know if they'll work in 2.16, but they might. Probably there will be some minor bugs, but they should be okay overall. I'm fairly certain that web_215.sfs will be fine, because I intentionally made it as independent from Puppy 2.15CE as I could. I'm actually using it in Pizzapup 3.0.1 right now. One issue you might have is if Seamonkey will load the Flash and Java plugins from it, as I don't know if 2.16 has Seamonkey in the same spot as 2.15. Firefox will be fine though, since it's contained within the web_215.sfs itself.
I renamed the files, but OpenOffice is still missing.