2.16 Alpha Bugs

Please post any bugs you have found
Lobster
Official Crustacean

2.16 Alpha Bugs

#1 Post by Lobster »

We need testers on this one . . .

The first problem I encountered was with IRC
It was sluggish (this could be the decompression?) in a very noticeable way. Normally Gaim would connect in under 5 secs - this was taking 60 secs - thought it had crashed . . .

I have noticed other bugs and need to do a md5sum to ensure I have a correct burn - because I got no "Save button"

The last experimental release seemed more stable, so I am assuming that it is the new compression software?

I downloaded the OpenOffice module and the sfs installer came up (neat) but it was not added that I could find, on a reboot.

Sorry for not providing specifics but I wanted to warn people, this is an Alpha - don't expect it to 'sort of work' (I did I must admit)

I have gone back to 2.15 for now.
We do need the feedback guys - just be careful :)
Last edited by Lobster on Thu 26 Apr 2007, 07:51, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#2 Post by Béèm »

I run 2.16 experiment 2 for 2 weeks now without problems.
The OOo 2.2 is nicely connected.
I just downloaded the alpha and will test it.
Thanks for the warning

Henry

#3 Post by Henry »

As I noted in the announcements topic, I have experienced no such problems. I am using an ordinary boot from CD, no usb, no multisssion or install, however.

Yes, let's test it cautiously, like any alpha - but no panic yet ;-)

BTW, there's no compression in this version, is there? I never used compression. If someone used a .2fs file from a 2.16 exp using compression, that might make a difference?

Henry

(edit: The email problem I mentioned seems to be a red herring - please disregard.)
Last edited by Henry on Wed 25 Apr 2007, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#4 Post by Béèm »

One annoying thing is still there.
When the pup_save conversion is done, I lost again the dotpup menu entries of the previously installed dotpup programs.
Most annoying.

Béèm

#5 Post by Béèm »

Now I am on my desktop with a RT73 WiFi interface.
Through the network wizard, I can't configure the interface.
The driver is loaded, a device rausb0 is there, but when I scan and I select my access point, I stay in a scan loop and can't get out off there. In fact, when I coose any availble access point the scan loops. I can't close this window.
With RutilT I can make the connection.

Secondly, my sata HDD in IDE mode is still not recognized, but that doesnt surprise me.

So no joy to use the 320 GB HDD space.

My pup_save being on a CF card, I just got that pop-up window telling to wait as the pup-save is being updated. When done, this pop-up window went away.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#6 Post by GuestToo »

Puppy 216 alpha seems to be noticeably quicker than 214, when programs first start

Puppy does mess with the desktop icons, which is annoying ... as a simple workaround, you can use your own pinboard file, i do

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#7 Post by GuestToo »

also, the kernel does not seem to attempt to use the entire ram as aggressively as it used to ... so unused stuff is not forced into the swap space as quickly

not a big difference, but the kernel's behaviour does seem to be a little different

Henry

#8 Post by Henry »

Puppy' icons were superimposed on mine, but quickly cleaned up, mostly removed, and suggested some nice alternatives. None of my icons were affected otherwise.

Henry

rerwin

Gparted fails to format partition

#9 Post by rerwin »

I could delete old partitions but could not create new ones because formatting fails. Formatting an existing partition also fails.

rerwin

Xorg fails on bootup after personal data saved in partition

#10 Post by rerwin »

This is a frugal install followed by saving personal data to a partition instead of a pup_save file. All seemed well during reboot until xorg stopped at the command prompt to enter "xorgwizard". It happens every time.

rerwin

Extra SFS files not mounted in frugal + data partition

#11 Post by rerwin »

I saw this in 2.15, too, but want to add it to the bug log.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

2.16a multisession DVD won't boot after 1st save

#12 Post by Flash »

I burned 2.16a SeaMonkey fulldrivers to a DVD+RW, booted the DVD, configured for a while, then shut down saving to the DVD. When I tried to reboot, it hung at trying to mount unionfs on pup_new. So I tried to boot the DVD with puppy pfix=1, to ignore the (only) saved session, and it hung again at about the same place in the boot sequence but with a different error. The DVD boots ok with pfix=ram.

I burned the same iso to another DVD+RW (both were burned with burniso2cd) and it did the exact same thing.

The iso I downloaded might be corrupted, but I thought I'd report this to see if anyone else is having the same problem with 2.16a multisession.

I haven't noticed any other problem with 2.16a. The sound works, Gxine plays wmv and Youtube files without a hitch and with good sound volume, and my Airlink 101 Super G PCI wireless modem works after running the connection wizard.
Attachments
2.16a multisession.JPG
(117.51 KiB) Downloaded 2041 times
2.16a multisession pfix=1.JPG
(80.83 KiB) Downloaded 2008 times
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: 2.16 Alpha Bugs

#13 Post by BarryK »

Lobster wrote:I have noticed other bugs and need to do a md5sum to ensure I have a correct burn - because I got no "Save button"
You only get a Save button if boot from Flash drive (or multisession CD).
The last experimental release seemed more stable, so I am assuming that it is the new compression software?
There is no "new compression software". 2.16exp3 used squashfs-lzma and ext2-compression but that was only an experiment and has been dumped.
I downloaded the OpenOffice module and the sfs installer came up (neat) but it was not added that I could find, on a reboot.
There is a checkbox in the Boot Manager, did you untick it? -- if you don't, the default is to ignore your selection.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#14 Post by BarryK »

Béèm wrote:One annoying thing is still there.
When the pup_save conversion is done, I lost again the dotpup menu entries of the previously installed dotpup programs.
Most annoying.
DotPups that modify the menu config file directly are no longer supported. They have not been supported since 2.14, and authors of DotPups were requested many times to update their DotPups to have '.desktop' file and not modify the menu. Any "DotPup creator" software that creates a DotPup that does modify the menu is out-of-date and should be either upgraded or deleted.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Gparted fails to format partition

#15 Post by BarryK »

rerwin wrote:I could delete old partitions but could not create new ones because formatting fails. Formatting an existing partition also fails.
Insufficient details. Are you using Gparted? What type of f.s. are you trying to create? Could you do the same thing in an earlier Puppy?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#16 Post by BarryK »

Flash, I haven't tested multisession yet -- that was something that missed out due to my time constraint, leaving for my holiday.
But, I'll give it a high priority, will work on it while on my "holiday"

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: 2.16 Alpha Bugs

#17 Post by Lobster »

BarryK wrote: There is a checkbox in the Boot Manager, did you untick it? -- if you don't, the default is to ignore your selection.
I will boot back in and have a look. I did not select anything. :oops:

Another thing I am using a ps2 mouse and it seemed jumpy (may have been loose) will boot up and try again. 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Ted Dog

cd+rw

#18 Post by Ted Dog »

on second boot same error as Flash noted above on CD+RW vs DVD with hard lockup, had to remove power to reboot.

rerwin

Re: Gparted fails to format partition

#19 Post by rerwin »

Barry,
Thanks for your quick response.

I used gparted to delete all partitions (except the swap partition,which was locked) on my 4G HD and then to create a new ext2 partition. After deleting the swap part. with cfdisk, I also attempted to create a new swap partition. Both attempts failed as I described above.

To create the partitions, I used cfdisk, but needed gparted to format them, which failed. So I used mke2fs and mkswap for the formatting. Then I was able to install -- and find the other problems I reported.

I have been able to do this in previous puppys. It is the most basic way to set up a HD -- an ext2 and swap partition. I ran gparted from the command line, too, but did not see any revealing messages.

The PC is an Aptiva (400MHz, 160MB) that I have used for puppy testing for nearly two years.

PS: Thanks for the link to the Tom Price site! Through you, I am learning everything I know, so far, about Western Australia. Interesting place.

Richard

kirk

#20 Post by kirk »

Puppy 216 alpha seems to be noticeably quicker than 214, when programs first start
Yes, seems that way to me as well. I think its AUFS. When I tried Nathen's AUFS package with 2.14 it seemed faster too.
Through the network wizard, I can't configure the interface.
The network wizard is missing the folder /etc/WAG. I'll attach it to this message.

I'm sure there are some bugs that still need to be squashed, but 2.16 looks like it will be a giant step forward from 2.14. There has been a lot of changes since 2.14, AUFS, init, NTFS/Fuse, just to name a few big ones. This seems like a pretty solid alpha to me.

Thanks Barry + helpers!
Attachments
WAG.tar.gz
(1007 Bytes) Downloaded 597 times