How To: Remaster LiveCD from LiveCD without pain :-)

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Alienx

How To: Remaster LiveCD from LiveCD without pain :-)

#1 Post by Alienx »

How about a script to remaster LiveCD from LiveCD almost newbies proof ? This is what I post here for testing and perfectioning, it seems to be working for me and I hope it works for you too. When doing it I copied large parts of scripts from drj (remaster-hd) and Barry (createpuppy, remaster-cd and others)

How to use it ?

1) boot with a Puppy live cd (normal or multisession)

2) setup everything (printer, keyboard, ethernet, cd-cdv drive, video...)

3) Install whatever you want in /usr or /root (dotpups, pupgets, etc) Don't worry about the size of what you put in root, the script will calculate the size of image.gz and put the correct ramdisk_size= in isolinux.cfg

4) start the script and choose a work folder in a partition with enough space (if you have a lot of ram it can be done in ramdisk also)

5) wait a few and burn the new puppy.iso in gcombust

Suggestion: boot Puppy 1.05 alpha2 with usr_devx.sfs in /mnt/home and create a new Puppy live-cd with it included , then you can delete usr_devx.sfs on the hd and save space
Last edited by Alienx on Thu 20 Oct 2005, 22:05, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry, broken english above :-)

#2 Post by Guest »

Its a great job. I tried it and got all things o the cd - my-applications (pup002) and usr_devx.sfs. Very easy, very good. Compliments! Next i wil try a multisession-cd. Thanx vabene

Alienx

#3 Post by Alienx »

Anonymous wrote:Very easy, very good. Compliments!
thanks Guest, I'm planning to do the next days a new version that asks:

do you want to keep hardware specific configurations ?

If the answer is no, the script will not save keyboard, mouse, videomode and ehernet or modem configs. It can be useful for booting the new remaster on other machines but keeping the new installed applications

#4 Post by Guest »

i am waiting. go on. vabene

raffy

Angel

#5 Post by raffy »

You're an angel! And you read correctly what I wished for Christmas, especially your last post:
the script will not save keyboard, mouse, videomode and ehernet or modem configs. It can be useful for booting the new remaster on other machines but keeping the new installed applications
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Alienx

#6 Post by Alienx »

here is the version 0.0.2 that optionally do not keep hardware configurations (keyboard, mouse, videomode, ethernet, cd/dvd drive and modem)

I`m without cd-r at the moment to burn new isos to test

please someone test in special two things:

modem ( I do not have one)

gcombust (scsiemul is turned on and I`m not sure it will work)
Last edited by Alienx on Thu 20 Oct 2005, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.

Alienx

#7 Post by Alienx »

my purpose when doing the script was to create a non-multisession personal Puppy that do not depends anymore on hd (pup001 file), being 100% ramdisk live-cd

that`s why option 2 in the isolinux menu (Don't Save Data) is the default

a modification on /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit that can be done is to comment these lines:

# echo -e "\\033[1;31m" #34=blue, 33=yellow, 32=green, 31=red, 35=purple, 36=aquablue, 38=black.
# echo "CANNOT MOUNT HOME DEVICE: CANNOT SAVE PERSONAL FILES"
# echo "This means that Puppy was unable to mount a persistent home partition"
# echo "on /root. In the case of the live-CD, probably Puppy could not find"
# echo "a suitable hard drive partition in which to create the home file."
# echo "(v1.0.3 also has a boot menu option to cause this situation!)"
# echo "Puppy will still run, but nothing will be permanently saved."
# echo -e "Pausing for 10 seconds... \\033[0;39m"
# sleep 10

you will gain 10 seconds in the boot ! :wink:

BarryK
Puppy Master

#8 Post by BarryK »

Alienx,
I've just downloaded your program.

I've been totally rewriting the remaster-cd script, integrating it with the PupGet package manager, so that users will be able to create a custom CD based on the current installation, but with any choice of pupget or dotpup packages.

I'm trying to make it as easy to use as possible, and I'll look at what you have done, see if that can be integrated in as well.

What I have got my script doing is if you have installed any pupgets or dotpups, they will get placed into the live-cd, like they are part of the cd, no longer pupgets or dotpups, if you get my drift.
The script also allows for removal of packages that are part of the live-cd, so you can go "backwards" toward a more barebones live-cd.

...well, it will do, when it is debugged.
Expect it in the release 1.0.5.

#9 Post by Guest »

Hi AlienX,
i tried the new version, it works -but i got a strange behavior. When i make thenew iso for my pc, everything works. When i make the iso for others i cannot get into internet (i have pptp)! i got no conection. I went back to the first new iso-version and everthing works. I wrote this from this version.
btw: is it comfortable to start each session with entries for keyboard, mouse and vga. An automatic solution like knoppix, dsl etc. would be better.
Go on, vabene

Alienx

#10 Post by Alienx »

Hi Guest,

version 0.0.3 has a new approach relative keeping or not hardware configurations

now it preserves 100% of the original /root0/.etc folder when is choosed NOT keep hardware configurations (only exception is sciemul)

I hope this solves your network (pptp) problem and do not break the remasters that SAVES hardware configs

good luck and testing ! :wink:
Last edited by Alienx on Thu 20 Oct 2005, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.

#11 Post by Guest »

I will test it tomorrow. You hear about it. Go on - vabene

Alienx

#12 Post by Alienx »

I forgot to say that version 0.0.3 in order to NOT keep hardware configs must be done from an original Puppy cd , not a remaster

#13 Post by Guest »

ok, i tried it. all things are working - only my interne-connection not! Same problem.

Dns can`t solve...
ill try t make an iso with my personal settings... vabene

#14 Post by Guest »

hi,
i solved the problem with my internet-conection. For adsl i have to change some scripts in /etc/ppp. I made them )parallel in my-apllications/etc. When making the iso all of the changes are lost. So i put the script one more times i the remaster-Folder - and it works now.
Now il try to remaster a iso without my settings (i got errors with x when starting it up). vabene

nameless foo

#15 Post by nameless foo »

I get kernel panic no init found with the remasterd CD. I have tried all three scripts with Puppy 1.0.3, 1.0.4, and 1.0.5

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#16 Post by Flash »

Foo, you're able to boot a Puppy CD, use it to remaster a new CD, and the remastered CD won't boot on the same machine?

nameless foo

#17 Post by nameless foo »

I can boot any Puppy CD that I have burned with an iso that I download but when I remaster the CD and burn a CD with the created iso it will load vmlinuz and image.gz and after it scrools thru the hardware identifaction I get a kernel panic init not found

nameless foo

#18 Post by nameless foo »

Apparently something dosen't like my IDE HDDs that are connected to the primary IDE. I disabled the primary IDE in the bios booted the multisession CD and everything works fine. Go figure!

WiZard

password

#19 Post by WiZard »

Hi Alienx
Thanks for writng your scripts. I tried all three and found that your first one suits my needs the best. Only having one problem. When I boot from remaster & choose 1 to save data everything is fine. When I choose 2 don't save data it scrools through all the boot and then ask for a password. Is something wrong here or do I need a password?

Thanks

#20 Post by Guest »

Hmm, that's puzzling. As far as I know, Puppy only asks for a password when it finds a corrupt pup001 during the boot process. Even though you're using the option to boot without saving to HD, I'd say check your hard drive for pup001 files that aren't supposed to be there.

Another thing: would you please give a link to the post with the Alienx scripts in it? It's much more difficult to help you if we have to guess what you're doing. Thanks. :)