Updated Xorgwizard+ Updated Xvesa wizard

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Dougal

Updated Xorgwizard+ Updated Xvesa wizard

#1 Post by Dougal »

This is the most recently updated version.

Things changed:
- Fixed "OK" button in X-test screen
- Added Kirk's code for adding Synaptics touchpads
- A few users complained they couldn't get high enough resolutions. If it happened when the screen wasn't detected (like in the case of LCD), all cases we quite likely the result of the same bug. Fixed.
- some other little fixes

Please let me know if this fixes a problem you had or you still have some problem.

--------- EDIT --------
Now added Xvesa video wizard, too.

-------- EDIT --------
Added video-wizard supporting use of 915resolution, also updated Xvesawizard the same.
Attachments
video-wizard.gz
(3.1 KiB) Downloaded 1426 times
Xvesawizard.gz
(1.7 KiB) Downloaded 1460 times
xorgwizard.gz
(15.96 KiB) Downloaded 1450 times
Last edited by Dougal on Wed 09 May 2007, 13:36, edited 2 times in total.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Leon

Re: Updated Xorgwizard

#2 Post by Leon »

Dougal wrote:- A few users complained they couldn't get high enough resolutions. If it happened when the screen wasn't detected (like in the case of LCD), all cases we quite likely the result of the same bug. Fixed.
Graphics card: ATI SAPPHIRE RADEON 9200SE ATLANTIS 128 MB
Monitor: Sony SDM-M51, LCD, 15"

In all versions prior to Puppy 2.13 Xorg Wizard gave me an option to set display resolution to 1024x768x24. Since Puppy 2.13 there are only this two display resolutions available:

640x480x16
640x480x24

It seems that Xorg Wizard properly recognizes all hardware and Puppy works fine when I manually set the display resolution with:

Subsection "Display"
Modes "1024x768"

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 69&t=15382
Dougal wrote: Please let me know if this fixes a problem you had or you still have some problem.
The new Xorgwizard didn't solved the problem with missing resolutions in display resolution list but I appreciate your efforts to fix the problem.
Last edited by Leon on Mon 03 Dec 2007, 23:58, edited 1 time in total.

lvds

#3 Post by lvds »

Hi Dougal,

Thank you very much for support to Xorgwizard. Here we have a very annoying problem i really need to resolve but i would like to submit you the idea.

1. When i build a distro i need to build it in Xvesa mode for my users. If i do a remaster (from your enhanced script, thank you very much for it) while being myself in Xorg mode the user running the final CD will have a black screen with a prompt and no graphical interface until they type xwin in the command line.

2. i am in Xvesa mode, i remaster so to build a distro CD, the final user gets the CD and boots puppy. He choose keyboard then dialog asks for "Xorg or Xvesa" ? the user choose Xvesa, he will have a screen at thelowest definition 640x480 and a window saying Welcome to my Xorgwizard, please select a definition for your monitor... This is GREAT.... BUT the window message is too big, it does not stay within the screen, so i would like to ask : is it possible to have the buttons vertically aligned on the right of the window, close to the text speech ? so the window would be ok in 640x480...

Thank you very much for your great job.

Best regards,
Laurent.

WhoDo

Re: Updated Xorgwizard

#4 Post by WhoDo »

Dougal wrote:Please let me know if this fixes a problem you had or you still have some problem.
Fix a bug ... find a bug! *sigh*

I downloaded and installed your updated Xorgwizard to my laptop in the Full install partition I set up for Puppy, and after running it I was left with a black screen of death. Rebooting the machine and suddenly Xorg is kaput! I can run Xvesa, but no Xorg. No amount of deleting .conf files has helped. Even an in situ update failed to fix the problem. Any ideas?

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Dougal

#5 Post by Dougal »

Oh my, I only just noticed this...

DoWho, Maybe you should try runnign the xorgwizard and after it fails look in /tmp at the error file. I have no idea how it could happen that Xorg will completely stop working! Very strange.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

Dougal

#6 Post by Dougal »

Laurent:
1) When the user starts the cd, does it go directly to the prompt, or does it run the xorgwizard and then falls to the prompt?

2) No, you can't move the buttons. I tried to modify the wizard to use gxmessage, too, but it wouldn't work. What can be done it to change the default to a higher resolution. (or to change the wizard to use Xdialog -- I'll try it today).
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

BarryK
Puppy Master

#7 Post by BarryK »

Dougal, I have tested the latest xorgwizard that you posted in this thread. When I choose to test the video mode, clicking the "OK" button hangs my computer. This is the same problem that made me remove that OK button and use only CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE. I tested with CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE and it works.

Note, I intend to upload 2.16alpha about 24 hours from now. It would be nice to put your latest xorgwizard in it, but could you kindly modify that test dialog?
Note, it does have a problem with gxmessage also, as text is proportional, causing alignment problems. I don't recall if can set the text in gxmessage to monospaced -- can do in others like xmessage, yaf-splash, gtkdialog3 (latest version). Or, would gxmessage accept tabs?

Nathan F

#8 Post by Nathan F »

You can specify the font in gxmessage with the -fn option, but I don't know about getting it to accept tabs. Haven't tried it.
-fn | -font FONT

Specifies the message font, using GTK2's font specification system. For example, -font "serif italic 14". (GTK2's naming system is not compatible with xmessage.)
Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Dougal

#9 Post by Dougal »

Damn, I thought I got that "ok" button fixed! My computer used to hang with it and it's now ok...

Ok, I'll change it back, also go back to xmessage.
It is a pain that all those dialog apps mess up the text...

See Xvesa wizard update above, too.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

kirk

#10 Post by kirk »

Tried both wizards. Works great for me! The Xorg wizard set-up my Synaptics touch pad too. You sure made that ugly code I posted look good. :)

lvds

#11 Post by lvds »

Dougal wrote:1) When the user starts the cd, does it go directly to the prompt, or does it run the xorgwizard and then falls to the prompt?
Hi Dougal,

it runs xorgwizard and then falls to the prompt.

Best regards,
Laurent.
Last edited by lvds on Wed 25 Apr 2007, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#12 Post by BarryK »

Dougal, I just tested the Xvesa Wizard. A couple of things:

My monitor uses '915resolution' to change one of the VESA BIOS resolutions to 1280x800 -- this is done automatically in the xorgwizard, but not in Xvesa Wizard -- so I don't get the choice of 1280x800
-- in fact, in xorgwizard that's all it offers, just 1280x800x16 and 1280x800x24, as that's all that is appropriate for my LCD panel.
It's okay that Xvesa Wizard offers other resolutions, but it should apply the 915resolution and offer 1280x800. -- if xorgwizard has already been run, even on a previous boot, then 915resolution runs automatically at bootup -- so one of the resolutions that Xvesa Wizard displays should show immediately as 128x800.

The text in the left panel doesn't wrap so good in the initial 640x480 screen.

pakt

#13 Post by pakt »

BarryK wrote:When I choose to test the video mode, clicking the "OK" button hangs my computer. This is the same problem that made me remove that OK button and use only CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE. I tested with CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE and it works.
Unfortunately, CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE isn't the perfect solution either. On the eBox-2300, CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE turns off the machine...

Paul
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

Dougal

#14 Post by Dougal »

Some time ago someone asked for the "tweak" option to be added to the dialog before testing X (for cases like i810).

I've been working on this, but am limited in my ability to test it as my card cannot work with the "vesa" driver! Very strange.

Here is a version of the wizard with that option -- could people please try it?

Barry: In the xvesa dialog, do you mean the "HighColor" and "TrueColor" appearing on the next line? I meant it to be that way, so "x16" and "x24" start at separate lines...

Where should we put the 915resolution code -- video-wizard or Xwin?
Attachments
xorgwizard.gz
(16.34 KiB) Downloaded 1203 times
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

Gn2

#15 Post by Gn2 »

limited in my ability to test it as my card cannot work with the "vesa" driver
To expand upon that:
That chipset is no longer on-line Intel supported - (Even Intel gave up ? >it was terrible - should have been re-called)
AFAIK - it does not support 32-bit (true colour) in Vesa mode
When screen blanks @ install or trying to Post-install use chosen resolutions -
it often is caused by 24 or 32 bits set as default for screen 0
Otherwise - it is incorrect driver or monitor frequency rates used
Pls NOTE: Frame buffer settings are for initial console modes - if set, they are not dynamically changeable
requiring a re-boot to alter (I.E Mesa)
There is several frame buffer modes to use in Linux
Most need to be supported by .config file (kernel options)
From Intel:
The next task of the device driver is to make sure the device matches the driver ~
If the driver does not match (minimum Req'ts)
THEN THE O/SYSTEM > MAKE USE OF THE ADAPTER IN VGA OR VESA COMPLIANT MODE
Does the vesafb frame-buffer module work on the Intel 810 Chipset?

No. The vesafb module can only make use of linear VESA modes.
The Intel 810 chipset uses banked modes and therefore, cannot
boot into a frame-buffer. It would be possible to add banked mode
support to the vesafb driver, but as of yet there are no plans to do
MORE than any will ever want to know :
Intel i810 Specs

IIRC > The only chipset known to be non-compliant to VESA standards was the Hercules card

DMA EDID probe gives usable resolutions/supported frequencies
Vesa then uses fixed rates as reported by chipset
If trouble encountered using vesa modes - it likely is result of incorrect fb used.
There are x-configurators and on-line modeline generators - as well as tweaking utilities (xrandr etal)
+ Varied chipset probe/report tools

Puppy has long standing issues of x-server Cfgs - the supplied "wizards" try to pre-set
configurations that vary from usual Linux standards/tools used to probe/parse/set usable rates

When those Puppy wizards/methods work all is fine - if not, new Puppy GUIs are tried to aleviate buggy scripting
versus resorting to Linux CLI methodologies
Tbis is most apparent when accelerated (proprietary kernel wrappers) drivers are attempted

Dougal

#16 Post by Dougal »

I did not say I have a i810 -- that's the person who asked for that option.

Puppy mainly uses what Xorg probing gives you, especially when it comes to the driver.

My card that doesn't work with the vesa driver is an old ATI.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

Gn2

#17 Post by Gn2 »

Ahh well, Then that info may help whoever does have it
Sorry - your post mentioned 810 - then "you could not test tweaking" = 'cuz: That linking was obvious.
810 has known problems w/frame buffers
ATI doesn't
~ ATI is fully compliant to Vesa standards
= ATI works very well using VESA

One Puppy user fought ATI, (different chipsets/boxes) for weeks using suggested Puppy methods,
several on_the_fly_revamped contributor scripts - until most items worked for him
Conversely, in under 30 Mins, - using S.O.P. CLI - an Nvidia was swapped out, ATI installed & Cfg'd correctly !
Puppy mainly uses what Xorg probing gives you
Or not > the reason new Puppy GUIs are constantly being revised
In fact > X-servers & X-Org in Puppy: Are enabled or not , attempting to use PUPPY scripting ideas/probes -

In an effort to slim - Puppy is full of eye-candy that are work-arounds

Puppy seems to have an identity crisis-
As you know more than most >
~ The original concept was to run all in RAM, in live mode, as root > no users
Frugal install was added
Now there are demands to fulfill hands-off hard drive installs, include multi-users
~ The Fun part for some contributors - is de-bugging Puppy > & practice scripting

Dougal

#18 Post by Dougal »

Gn2 wrote: ~ ATI is fully compliant to Vesa standards
= ATI works very well using VESA
Not my card -- X wouldn't run with the vesa driver and gave an erro message (in /var/log/...) about the chipset not supported by the vesa driver...
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

Gn2

#19 Post by Gn2 »

Sorry to hear that - and Plse excuse the O.T erratta on subject
I have no wish to derail this thread.

( If however you would like - open own header - or 8) we could collaborate privately ?)

Best regards

Dougal

#20 Post by Dougal »

Gn2 wrote:Sorry to hear that - and Plse excuse the O.T erratta on subject
Well, at least you bothered to reply... I don't see anyone here volunteering to test the latest version I posted...
Some say your nose
Some say your toes