mounting problem

Booting, installing, newbie
jjj1

mounting problem

#1 Post by jjj1 »

first time puppy user - CD LIVE-v2.14-Used as a boot-up disk.
Used "puppy pfix=ram" during boot up. I am attempting to mount the hard drive (which is damaged) to copy data files prior to hard drive replacement. when I "mount" the hard drive the RAM usage goes to 100 percent and those windows being used for mounting simply freeze and the screen will not refresh (ie when a window is moved, the icons that are behind it will not appear) in addition I am unable to cancel or "Unmount" the drive. The only thing that I can do is to power down the notebook. NOtebook has XP. I have approx. 1.3 G free RAM. Any suggestions?

gary101

#2 Post by gary101 »

I had a friends computer that had a damaged hard drive, that would not mount either.

In what way is your hard drive damaged? I take it that the exercise here is to recover data off the drive before replacing it?

If there is a physical problem with the drive, it is sometimes possible to get it working long enough to recover data by putting it in the freezer for a while in a well sealed plastic bag with all of the air sucked out. Sounds daft I know, but the shrinkage caused by the cooling can temporarily overcome problems with bad platers/heads.

If on the other hand, if the problem is to do with lost partitions, mbr etc then there are ways of recovering the drive but I think you need to post some more details of the problem, symptoms, error messages etc.

Gary

jjj1

#3 Post by jjj1 »

Original problem-During normal boot-up, windows xp would start coming up but would go to a black screen with white text with the following boot up options. start in safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with..., las known working config. and normal windows boot-up....regardless of the selection, it would always return to this window.
And yes I was trying to recover some data.
It was unsuccessful but Thanks for the suggestion