Any Distribution with a working Suspend to Ram??

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Chouca

Any Distribution with a working Suspend to Ram??

#1 Post by Chouca »

Hi,

Running 2.14 on my old laptop and it works great!

I have previously tried Xubuntu, Icewm, Enlightenment and Elive and some of them have had a nice working Suspend to ram functionctionality working out of the box!

I have tried to search this forum and use scripts and hints - Suspend into might work bbbut resume results in complete darkness and the need for a "forced" reboot... :?

Is there a Puppy flavour with a working Suspend to ram?

Regards

Martin

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Not that I am aware of . . .

Is there any Linux software that does this that could be compiled?

A good idea would be "Puppy Laptop"
Who is up for it?

As soon as we have a PC in a phone, we might have Puppy phone 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Chouca

#3 Post by Chouca »

If I remember right Xubuntu does it, also Enlightenment (E17) on top of Xubuntu Server does it.

Yes - for a laptop (and also on server used for every day use) it is the way to go - waiting for applications to start up is not that thrilling... :roll:

Martin

Gekko

#4 Post by Gekko »

When you come out of "suspend" that you found for puppy and it was black, did you try ctrl + alt + backspace?

Chouca

#5 Post by Chouca »

Ctrl + Alt + backspace did nothing, it seems like there is no connection with the keyboard at all - toggling Caps Lock does not put on the led for an example.

Making the laptop go to sleep can be achieved in many ways - one is the script from this Puppy thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 40&t=14467. To wake it up seems harder...

In other distros the acpi (or apm) directories have been installed/implemented, I don know if that might be a clue...???

Martin

Gekko

#6 Post by Gekko »

OOH! Try when you boot puppy "puppy acpi=force" or "puppy acpi=on"

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#7 Post by Béèm »

Yes it would be a good idea to have a puppy-laptop.sfs with all goodies for suspend, hibernate, monitoring support.

Chouca

#8 Post by Chouca »

menu.lst;

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro acpi=force vga=0

I might add that at resume when I open the lid or press the power on button the hard disk turns on, the screen flashes and turn s black and the keyboard is "disconnected" - only a violent power off helps...

Regards

Martin

dot

#9 Post by dot »

I don't know if this information is of any use for you, but just for the record:

I tried the built-in key combination on my vintage laptop (Fn-Esc) - and it suspended to RAM just like that! :D Plus, it seems to wake up very reliably, much more so than Win98.

dot
[size=75][Celeron [Mendocino] 500 MHz laptop _ 128 MB RAM _ PCMCIA ethernet _ PCMCIA modem _ USB 1.1 CD burner _ Puppy 2.15CE Final frugal install _ Firefox 2 _ YAY Puppy for legacy hardware][/size]

Chouca

#10 Post by Chouca »

(Fn-Esc) does not work either.

Is there anyone having the APM or ACPI functionality working for Suspend / Resume...???

Martin

acaza

#11 Post by acaza »

I don't know if it works (not having tested it), but the screenshots of Rudy 2.14 have a suspend shortcut on the desktop. Maybe check with the makers of that derivative, to see if it works there?
aspiring hacker trapped in the mind of a linux noob, using Puppy 2.14 multisesson DVD on Dell XPS M1210

lickthefrog2

#12 Post by lickthefrog2 »

I'm on 2.12 (Muppy007) on a 1GB RAM Toshiba Satellite laptop.

I can suspend and resume successfully if I don't have many programs open. I have noticed that if I suspend for a long time, resume is inconsistent. Sometimes I have to do the ctrl-alt-f3 thing, but not often.

I tried some of the suspend scripts from users in the forum, but also waking up wasn't consistently successful.

I think the problem has something to do with the X session. I just haven't tested it, but I will. Probably if I kill X and suspend, resume will be consistent.

It still stinks to have to have to re-launch programs. I haven't booted Windows for months, but this weekend I did and the resume from suspend/hibernation made me really want something as consistent in my primary OS.

Bug-free suspend and resume is high on my wish list. Wish I were skilled enough to figure it out.

- lickthefrog2