new2dir not including certain files?

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
paulsiu

new2dir not including certain files?

#1 Post by paulsiu »

I use new2dir to create a Ruby DotPet, but I notice that the DotPet is missing some files. In particular, I notice that it skip over many .so files. As a result, when I ran Ruby Gem, it complaint that the socket.so file is missing.

How does new2dir figure out which file to include or exclude?

Paul

Gekko

#2 Post by Gekko »

why dont u use dir2pet?

paulsiu

#3 Post by paulsiu »

That's the next step. I thought that new2dir creates the files, then dir2pet creates the PET from the files. Unfortunately, it would appear that even though the makefile copy the .so files to the lib directory, they are not included in the files tht new2dir created. As a result, when you use dir2pet, an incomplete set of files gets installed.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

Yes, sometimes new2dir does not work properly, only with certain packages it misbehaves.
Somebody needs to study the script and find out why... :)

Note, Nathan has also written a new2dir equivalent in his Grafpup 2
-- try that. -- I think he has my new2dir as well as his with a slightly
different name.

plinej

#5 Post by plinej »

Nathan's script is called grafbuild and I've used it to make quite a few packages successfully. Basically all you need to do is run grafbuild instead of ./configure and pass all of your configure options to grafbuild instead and then the build is all automated.

I'll post the latest version he sent me the other day. I'm not sure if there will be any problems running it in puppy because I haven't really looked at the script itself.
Attachments
grafbuild.tar.gz
(1.64 KiB) Downloaded 486 times

plinej

#6 Post by plinej »

I should probably add that a new directory, called grafbuild, is built inside of your source tree for the package which will contain your built program.

Gekko

#7 Post by Gekko »

lol at my oldfashioned 'make install DESTDIR=/root/complete/app-1.2.3' then dir2pet.

paulsiu

#8 Post by paulsiu »

I have examined and experimented with the script today. The new2dir script does work, but the problem is that you have to do a make install on a clean system. If somethings goes wrong, you have to uninstall and start over. Unfortunately, most source code does not come with a "make uninstall". If you do a "new2dir make install" more than once, you'll end up with a partial list of files. This is what happened. I did a make install when some of the existing files were in place.

Now, I tried to make backups of my pup_save.2fs file before I make a new DotPet. If something happens, I can just go back and start over.

I am currently rebuilding a new Ruby DotPet. The old one I uploaded apparently have problems. In addition, I found that there is also a doc component, so you have to do a make install and then a make install-doc. The install-doc was not in the Ruby readme, but I found it when I was looking through the Makefile.

Paul