Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 26 Nov 2014, 10:20
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
new2dir not including certain files?
Moderators: deshlab, Flash, GuestToo, Ian, JohnMurga, Lobster
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
paulsiu

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2007, 02:33    Post_subject:  new2dir not including certain files?
Sub_title: Does new2dir skip certain files?

I use new2dir to create a Ruby DotPet, but I notice that the DotPet is missing some files. In particular, I notice that it skip over many .so files. As a result, when I ran Ruby Gem, it complaint that the socket.so file is missing.

How does new2dir figure out which file to include or exclude?

Paul
Gekko

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2007, 03:36    Post_subject:  

why dont u use dir2pet?
paulsiu

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2007, 07:56    Post_subject:  

That's the next step. I thought that new2dir creates the files, then dir2pet creates the PET from the files. Unfortunately, it would appear that even though the makefile copy the .so files to the lib directory, they are not included in the files tht new2dir created. As a result, when you use dir2pet, an incomplete set of files gets installed.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2007, 20:23    Post_subject:  

Yes, sometimes new2dir does not work properly, only with certain packages it misbehaves.
Somebody needs to study the script and find out why... Smile

Note, Nathan has also written a new2dir equivalent in his Grafpup 2
-- try that. -- I think he has my new2dir as well as his with a slightly
different name.
plinej

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2007, 22:04    Post_subject:  

Nathan's script is called grafbuild and I've used it to make quite a few packages successfully. Basically all you need to do is run grafbuild instead of ./configure and pass all of your configure options to grafbuild instead and then the build is all automated.

I'll post the latest version he sent me the other day. I'm not sure if there will be any problems running it in puppy because I haven't really looked at the script itself.
grafbuild.tar.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  grafbuild.tar.gz 
Filesize  1.64 KB 
Downloaded  298 Time(s) 
plinej

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2007, 23:24    Post_subject:  

I should probably add that a new directory, called grafbuild, is built inside of your source tree for the package which will contain your built program.
Gekko

PostPosted: Sun 22 Apr 2007, 10:24    Post_subject:  

lol at my oldfashioned 'make install DESTDIR=/root/complete/app-1.2.3' then dir2pet.
paulsiu

PostPosted: Sun 22 Apr 2007, 17:43    Post_subject:  

I have examined and experimented with the script today. The new2dir script does work, but the problem is that you have to do a make install on a clean system. If somethings goes wrong, you have to uninstall and start over. Unfortunately, most source code does not come with a "make uninstall". If you do a "new2dir make install" more than once, you'll end up with a partial list of files. This is what happened. I did a make install when some of the existing files were in place.

Now, I tried to make backups of my pup_save.2fs file before I make a new DotPet. If something happens, I can just go back and start over.

I am currently rebuilding a new Ruby DotPet. The old one I uploaded apparently have problems. In addition, I found that there is also a doc component, so you have to do a make install and then a make install-doc. The install-doc was not in the Ruby readme, but I found it when I was looking through the Makefile.

Paul
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum