2.15CE doesn't show menu in IceWM, does in JWM

Booting, installing, newbie
Mstar

2.15CE doesn't show menu in IceWM, does in JWM

#1 Post by Mstar »

Running 2.15CE with Icewm.

Clicking on "Menu" opens a small window in the upper left corner of my display. It does not contain the menu.

The only time the actual menu displays is if there is already a window open on the desktop.

Same for a right click on the desktop.

Same behavior in both a live CD and full HD install.

Menu behaves "normally" when I switch to JWM.

Is this normal Icewm behavior? This is the first time I've used it, so I don't have anything to compare.

Thanks

Sit Heel Speak

Re: 2.15 CE Menu Question

#2 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Mstar wrote:Is this normal Icewm behavior?
No, it should open a drop-up menu in the lower left corner, same as jwm. Perhaps the downloaded .iso image is corrupted. Did you check its integrity against its md5sum?

Mstar

#3 Post by Mstar »

Sit Heel Speak,

No I didn't. But now that I know this isn't how it's supposed to work I will.

It's odd, because both Final and Final(2) do the same thing on my machine.

Thanks for the response.

Sit Heel Speak

md5 sums on 2.15CE Final patched and its components

#4 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Here are the md5 sums on my 2.15CE (Final) (patched) as well as its unpacked components and the accompanying sfs files. These were all downloaded from Previously Known as Guest's server, before it went over its bandwidth allocation limit. The unpacked components are on my USB stick and so the linld.cfg and of course pup_save.2fs will be different from yours:

F:\>md5sum puppy-~1.iso
8e3ea16dda19d2e21ffe1f7f3acbb975 *puppy-215CE-Final.iso

Unpacked components and accompanying sfs files :

D:\>md5sum *.*
6a7ef1e62191f6f458ddaacdd881772d *boot.cat
3c8c791f51c5e94868f006f10fa0782c *boot.msg
74f698055f921229ab390a085e27a218 *INITRD.GZ
c19705b8f39cf68a0f7d1d1db1e82456 *isolinux.bin
2e2936dee94a837c6aaa5a55cb2deb16 *isolinux.cfg
282f5914c086b4ed7e61dc43d24f0fd9 *pup_215.sfs
952484a8a742d57595d7ae8b8118b7f1 *VMLINUZ
dd0815c9272204fafe92fe8bc8fc9555 *zdrv_215.sfs
051852255e8ad67c35d3c59dd6bf7d75 *devx_215.sfs
683815c46325e541213f9292d06830a0 *fltkc++_215.sfs
54adc8fc3e90cc68f5d77d2ed5913602 *pgs_215.sfs
7aae06012df09176d73da75fb2f8d28f *web_215.sfs
1e91689bd64947cf83e2a18c98aae7a6 *PUPXUSB
7215ee9c7d9dc229d2921a40e899ec5f *USBFLASH
0c32d19dc116488f02447d4c37592217 *linld.cfg
dfd83d7cf0a21fb89250263fe0553107 *pup_save.2fs

HTH,
SHS
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Wed 25 Apr 2007, 09:24, edited 1 time in total.

Mstar

#5 Post by Mstar »

Sit Heel Speak,

The checksums match for both of the iso's I downloaded.

I don't know how to get the checksums for the files inside the iso, but I doubt that both downloads have the exact same internal error. Does not seem likely. Would the iso checksum be OK if one of the internal files was corrupted?

So, I wonder if there is some other explanation for this behavior.

I will check the internal files if someone can point me to the appropriate instructions.

Thanks

Mstar

#6 Post by Mstar »

I just found something else.

The machine has both a USB wireless mouse and a wired PS2 mouse attached. The USB mouse is the one that causes the odd menu behavior, the wired mouse works normally. This is true even after I set-up the wireless mouse while 2.15Ce is running (it worked, but was not checked in the Wizard when I opened it)

So, I hesitate to call this a bug, because there probably aren't many machines with both kinds of mice in simultaneous use. But, it's definitely a quirk, most likely related to USB handling.

Other Puppy versions have not done this on the same machine, but they didn't use Icewm either.

Anyway, the source of the behavior is at least identified.

Sit Heel Speak

#7 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

As for the mouse, have you tried putting the line

modprobe usbhid

at the bottom of /etc/rc.d/rc.local? May solve the usb mouse trouble.

If you're still having trouble with the menu...
Mstar wrote:I don't know how to get the checksums for the files inside the iso, but I doubt that both downloads have the exact same internal error. Does not seem likely. Would the iso checksum be OK if one of the internal files was corrupted?...
If it matches what I show above, then it and its internal files are an OK download of the very last "Final 2 patched" version of the Puppy 2.15CE .iso and the very latest .sfs's to this time. But it still might've been corrupted in the unpack, or by the burn process if you made a live CD. See

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=17121

for a report of a problem with zdrv_215.sfs in a different, earlier version downloaded slightly prior (a few bugs got squashed in the days immediately after the "first final" was posted).

If you have a working Puppy, then...

Menu - Utility - rxvt and then cd (change directory) to whichever subdir you downloaded (or unpacked) (or burned) them to ...in my case it's /initrd/mnt/dev_save, however you may have placed them in /root ...or perhaps on /mnt/hdc1 ...if on hdc1 or other drive then you may need to first mount the drive, using Menu - File Manager - MUT...

...in rxvt, simply issue

cd /root ...(or wherever you put them)
md5sum (name-of-file)

Handy shortcut: you can issue the command

ls

first to get a directory listing, then click-hold-drag the cursor over the name of the file you wish to do the md5sum check on to highlight it, then Shift-Ins will insert the filename on the commandline.

Even handier shortcut:

md5sum *

works. Takes some time on the big ones though.

If you don't have a working Puppy, then a variety of other md5sum checkers, e.g. for Windows, are listed in the thread at

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=16688

From Windows 98, I use md5sum.exe in a DOS window; that's how I took the md5sum's above. It can be downloaded from

http://trog.qgl.org/browse/tools/md5sum.exe

The download link is near the top of the page where it says

------ | download file tools/md5sum.exe now |------

not at the "md5sum.exe" listing further below.

HTH,
SHS

Mstar

#8 Post by Mstar »

Sit Heel Speak,

Thanks for the guidance. The checksums on the CD all match your numbers, so I don't think the burn was corrupted.

I tried the "modprobe usbhid" from rxvt, but it had no effect. The USB mouse behaves the same way after issuing the command. So, I did not put it in rc.local.

Also, the wizard did not show the USB mouse installed on this boot, even though I had used the wizard to install it last time I ran. So, it appears there is something odd going on.

The wired mouse continues to work properly.

Anyway, since I now have a workaround the problem is academic, but still annoying.

Thanks for your help.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

USB wireless mouse and a wired PS2 mouse attached
That is the source of the conflict. Does running the mouse wizard help at all?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#10 Post by Béèm »

@Mstar,
Just out of curiosity, why would you like to have two mice on your system?

Can you imaging a car with two steering wheels, working independantly from each other, what effect it would have?

octobclrnts

#11 Post by octobclrnts »

Ever heard of a fire engine? They have two steering wheels. It helps to get tighter turns.
Puppy [color=green]2.17[/color]
HP Pavillion [color=green]dv1000[/color]
Ram [color=green]512MB[/color]
Proc [color=green]1.5GHz Pentium M[/color]

Sit Heel Speak

#12 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

@Béèm: Perhaps his usb mouse is better than his ps/2 mouse, but he has only a single usb port and desires the ability to use the usb port for something else from time to time. A similar situation holds, on my older Thinkpad laptop.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#13 Post by Béèm »

octobclrnts wrote:Ever heard of a fire engine? They have two steering wheels. It helps to get tighter turns.
But they don't work independantly one from each other.
Imagine what happens if one turns to the right while the other turns to the left. :lol:

Béèm

#14 Post by Béèm »

Sit Heel Speak wrote:@Béèm: Perhaps his usb mouse is better than his ps/2 mouse, but he has only a single usb port and desires the ability to use the usb port for something else from time to time. A similar situation holds, on my older Thinkpad laptop.
No you mention it, on my Thinkpad the little red thing is active as well as the other one (forget always the name)
So regularly I find myself typing in another area all of a sudden, as I have touched the other one not knowing it.

I wish I could deactivate that one and leave only the red button active.

Sit Heel Speak

#15 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Béèm wrote:...Imagine what happens if one turns to the right while the other turns to the left. :lol:
Actually, Boeing hereabouts uses special trucks for road transport of very long airplane parts, with one steering wheel in the cab and the second steering wheel in a little driver-compartment at the rear of the trailer, underslung, just forward of the rear tires. When going around a tight turn, the cab driver does indeed steer right while the trailer-driver steers left, so the trailer swings wide enough to miss the curb.

Sit Heel Speak

#16 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Béèm wrote:
Sit Heel Speak wrote:@Béèm: Perhaps his usb mouse is better than his ps/2 mouse, but he has only a single usb port and desires the ability to use the usb port for something else from time to time. A similar situation holds, on my older Thinkpad laptop.
No you mention it, on my Thinkpad the little red thing is active as well as the other one (forget always the name)
So regularly I find myself typing in another area all of a sudden, as I have touched the other one not knowing it.

I wish I could deactivate that one and leave only the red button active.
You mean the Touchpad? I can't help you, because my T21 doesn't have a Touchpad. I do unplug my cordless USB mouse and keep going with the Trackpoint (the little red thing) when I want to scan, print, or download pictures from my digital camera. Or at least, I did so earlier, before I bought a usb2 pcmcia adapter. Now, I have the usb stick which contains Puppy on one (pcmcia adapter) port (booted using the wkpup2x floppy) and the cordless mouse's receiver in the second port, so the T21's single rear usb1 port is always available whenever I need to plug in another device.

My guess is, MStar is using a similar arrangement.

Béèm

#17 Post by Béèm »

Sit Heel Speak wrote:
Béèm wrote:...Imagine what happens if one turns to the right while the other turns to the left. :lol:
Actually, Boeing hereabouts uses special trucks for road transport of very long airplane parts, with one steering wheel in the cab and the second steering wheel in a little driver-compartment at the rear of the trailer, underslung, just forward of the rear tires. When going around a tight turn, the cab driver does indeed steer right while the trailer-driver steers left, so the trailer swings wide enough to miss the curb.
In that case they steer at different places.
Not like the mouse example, where the two mice try to steer at the same 'place' in the same time. :twisted:

Béèm

#18 Post by Béèm »

@Sit Heal Speak,
I really had a black-out, yes trackpoint and touchpad.

I looked around and asked the question here already quite some time ago if I could deactivate the touchpad, but I got no reply.

I didn't find if there are two separate drivers one for the trachpoint and one for the touchpad.
If there is, maybe I could unload the one for the trackpoint, but I am not knowledgeable enough to do that research.

I just live with it now.

Sit Heel Speak

#19 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Béèm wrote:I looked around and asked the question here already quite some time ago if I could deactivate the touchpad, but I got no reply...
Which Thinkpad do you have?

In /proc/bus/input there are two small textfiles, "devices" and "handlers"...

Open both in Geany (you may get a warning about read-only, just click OK). Paste the contents here, or PM them to me.

WhoDo

#20 Post by WhoDo »

Béèm wrote:I looked around and asked the question here already quite some time ago if I could deactivate the touchpad, but I got no reply.
My HP Compaq nc6220 laptop has THREE (3) pointing devices, and all are active by default; my USB mouse, my Synaptics Touch Pad mouse and my Trackpoint device with the little "joystick" in the middle of the keypad and two buttons at the base of the space bar.

The only way to deal with these is to disable them in the BIOS. My BIOS will only let me disable either of the Touch Pad or the Trackpoint, but not both. It says, stupidly, that I'll have no pointing device and won't let me do it. Don't they think people use external mouses on laptops?

Bottom line: Check your BIOS for an option to disable one or other of those devices. Me, I'm sticking with my USB mouse anyway, even though I occasionally hit the Trackpoint buttons while typing. *sigh*

Hope that helps
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com