Grafburn cd burner - new version 0.10.1

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
lvds

#101 Post by lvds »

Hi Nathan,

First of all thank you very much for Grafburn as we use it and it is a great tool !

This week i discovered what seems to be a little bug. When selecting for an ISO file to burn on a cd, i was searching for the ISO file somewhere in subdirectories in my hard drive, and i found if the ISO file is somewhere a little far away from / then grafburn crash. I admit the file was somewhere far down into subdirectories. I could reproduce the bug a few times.

It is not really blocking as i moved the ISO somewhere up near from / and everything worked fine, but i thought it would be better to report to you.

Best regards,
Laurent.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#102 Post by BarryK »

Nathan,
I have a request. I wanted to use Grafburn to create an iso from a directory of files, so I clicked on "Create a data cd/dvd". But then it said that I had to copy the files to a certain directory -- unfortunately I don't have the room in that directory to do that. I really need to just choose a existing directory, which is on a mounted partition.
At that point I aborted, by clicking the window close box, which proved to be difficult, got some error messages.

I ended up using Gcombust.

Nathan F

#103 Post by Nathan F »

I can see your point, in fact my wife managed to make it abundantly clear when she tried to burn a 4 gig dvd yesterday. I'll do some rethinking on how this is all going to work.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

#104 Post by Nathan F »

Well I'm dusting off this code again and trying to add in some improvements that have been on the back burner for a while. I've added some rudimentary ability to burn audio cd's using cue or toc files, which is both faster and reduces the amount of temporary storage space required. I plan to have a go at improving data cd creation next. I want to support burning a directory to disk other than the preconfigured temp directory, as well as making it possible to just symlink files into the temp directory before creating the iso image, once again to reduce the amount of temporary space required.

I've also added some code to hopefully deal with drives that have to be set to "raw" mode rather than dao or tao when burning audio disks, which was a known bug in the last version. In order to have the cue/toc support it will be neccessary to have cdrdao installed, but I also plan to add in a check for it.

If anyone has any other features or suggestions please speak up in the next few days so I can plan accordingly.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

zigbert

#105 Post by zigbert »

if making it possible to use symlinks instead of real file, it would be nice to run Grafburn with options. for instance 'grafburn -data /tmp/searchresult'. It would make a perfect integration with Pfind (and any other script that wants to burn something). Maybe Pbcdripper could send result to Grafburn?

Sigmund

Nathan F

#106 Post by Nathan F »

Yes, Barry requested just a little bit higher up that he would like to be able to burn a different directory onto disk, and I thought that would be a good idea. I've already enabled several options from the command line and I suppose what you are talking about would not be a bad idea as well. How about if I make it capable of just accepting a list of files, which it would then link into your temp directory and burn? That makes the changes somewhat small.

BTW - the symlink capability is now in my development version and working like a charm. I don't know why I didn't do this in the first place, as it has been really quite easy to implement.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

zigbert

#107 Post by zigbert »

Pfind has 2 different outputs. Either symlinks or a textfile with the filenames. But it's only the textfile that (today) contains the actual names of the files, so importing a list would sure be the easiest.

Thanks for the work you are doing!

Nathan F

#108 Post by Nathan F »

Yes I see how it works now, that should be pretty easy to deal with. I'll just create a new function that links all the files on the list into your tempdir, and a way to call tha function from the command line.

I also noticed the "view in filameneger" option creates absolute links, so they could be moved or copied. So that way would work too. I see about three ways to implement it actually, but I'll just stick with the list for now.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

#109 Post by Nathan F »

OK here's a snapshot of what I've been doing to it. The changes are the addition of cue and toc file support when creating audio cd's, the ability to create an iso by symlinking files into the temp directory, and just for Zigbert a new function to dump a file list into Grafburn like this:

Code: Select all

grafburn -f <file>
I intend to do some work on the preferences dialog before I release it generally, and the new functions should be tested a bit first as well. Any testers please let me know how it goes for you.

Nathan
Attachments
Grafburn-0.9.2.pet
(34.11 KiB) Downloaded 398 times
Bring on the locusts ...

zigbert

#110 Post by zigbert »

Here's the result of the -f test:

The list:

/mnt/hda5/mp3/Mayhem - A wise birthgiver.mp3
/mnt/hda5/mp3/Mayhem - Anti.mp3
The rxvt output:

sh-3.00# grafburn -f /tmp/pfind-view
BusyBox v1.01 (2006.08.20-09:28+0000) multi-call binary

Usage: basename FILE [SUFFIX]

Strips directory path and suffixes from FILE.
If specified, also removes any trailing SUFFIX.

ln: creating symbolic link `' to `/mnt/hda5/mp3/Mayhem - A wise birthgiver.mp3': No such file or directory
BusyBox v1.01 (2006.08.20-09:28+0000) multi-call binary

Usage: basename FILE [SUFFIX]

Strips directory path and suffixes from FILE.
If specified, also removes any trailing SUFFIX.

ln: creating symbolic link `' to `/mnt/hda5/mp3/Mayhem - Anti.mp3': No such file or directory
Then dialog shows up:

You can now optionally set the iso file name and the Volume ID of the disk.
Grafburn made the directory /tmp/files/, but with no files.

Nathan F

#111 Post by Nathan F »

Got to be the spaces in the filename. I thought I'd taken that into account, but apparently it got lost in the shuffle. I'll get on it.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

#112 Post by Nathan F »

Try this Zigbert. Open up /usr/local/apps/Media/Grafburn/burn_file_list in an editor and change line 41 si it reads like this.

BASENAME="`basename "$FILENAME"`"
That might be the offending line. If there are spaces in the filename it would have to be quoted there. I can't test because I'm running on an important errand right away, so I'll check in later today.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

zigbert

#113 Post by zigbert »

:D working :D

I'm very pleased, but wants to give constuctive feedback. After running 'grafburn -f list' there are 4 dialogs before actually burning. As an end-user, I wonder, is really all 4 needed. What about a dialog - Burning options, with entry for optional iso-name, checkbox for mulisession burning and buttons for CD- or DVD-burn. The new gtkdialog also gives possibilities to bold text, so 'insert media' would be easy to notice.

I will update Pfind to use Grafburn as default burner.

Thanks
Sigmund

Nathan F

#114 Post by Nathan F »

Quite a few of the dialogs in Grafburn are written in Xdialog, which is very limited. I do have plans to port much of it over to gtkdialog, which should make the resulting application less "wizard" like and eliminate a lot of the extra windows. They drive me nuts also. I can't say when I'll get it all done though.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

#115 Post by Nathan F »

How's this for a mockup?

Nathan
Attachments
burn_dialog.png
(22.43 KiB) Downloaded 700 times
Bring on the locusts ...

zigbert

#116 Post by zigbert »

Now we're talking :wink:

Both simpler and nicer.

Nathan F

#117 Post by Nathan F »

I'm uploading the work in progress again. The two changes here are a simplifacation of both the burning and blanking dialogs, rewritten using gtkdialog3. I plan to do the same with the cd copy and audio cd dialogs, then attack the preferences dialog.

I'm also thiking we need a way to add sessions to a multisession disk in Grafburn, but I don't know when I'll get around to doing it or how I want to work it into the interface. I might add a toolbar menu perhaps, to put in some of the less used tasks.

Nathan
Attachments
Grafburn-0.9.4.pet
(25.07 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

#118 Post by Nathan F »

OK, I just uploaded another new and improved version to the previous post. This one adds a menubar to the main interface, removing several of the visible buttons and making things a bit less cluttered. I'm going to add support for appending data to a multisession disk but it's not written yet, and I'm doing a bit of simplification on the copy cd dialog as well, which is also unfinished so it's not included yet. So the only changes in this version are cosmetic, and it should function same as before. I like the fact that it takes up a lot less screen real estate now, which makes a big difference if you're stuck at 800x600 like I am on a couple computers.

Nathan
Attachments
grafburn-0.9.4.png
(25.53 KiB) Downloaded 705 times
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

#119 Post by Nathan F »

I'm in the process of rewriting the preferences dialog a bit. I'm going to have it set a couple other variables like the cd and dvd reader drives, so that the copy dialog can be simplified a bit. Actually I think this could just as easily make use of the cd burner wizard and take it's default drives from the output of that script.

As to the rest I think I can do a rewrite in gtkdialog and once again cut down the size of the window, probably by putting the various sections into separate tabs.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

#120 Post by Nathan F »

OK here is the next stage in development with a totally new preferences dialog. The preferences dialog has been 100% rewritten using gtkdialog3 and is now a single window with tabs. The devices are set according to the system defaults, which are set by the cdburner-wizard. This is a major upgrade in usability, but is not yet a stable release because I have quite a few more things I want to implement. Namely -

* burning on the fly rather than creating an iso file first
* simplify the copy cd process and add support for copying an audio cd with only one drive, by creating a toc file and .wav
* implement appending data to multisession disks

Note that most of the icons are now taken from stock, so they will follow whatever icon theme you happen to be using (Puppy isn't using one, Grafpup uses Tango). This cuts the size of the application about in half.

IMPORTANT! You must delete you preferences file in order to update to this version. The file is $HOME/.config/grafburnrc ($HOME is your home directory, or /root, and .config is a hidden folder. Click on the eye icon in ROX-Filer to view hidden files).

Nathan
Last edited by Nathan F on Sun 06 May 2007, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
Bring on the locusts ...