Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 23 Nov 2017, 07:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How to get Sound (ESS1688 Chipset) to work in Puppy 2.15 CE?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
Wirrrkopf

PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr 2007, 04:20    Post subject:  How to get Sound (ESS1688 Chipset) to work in Puppy 2.15 CE?  

I run Puppy 2.15 CE on an old Notebook (Compaq Armada 4160T, CPU: Pentium I 166 Mhz, RAM: 80 MB, HDD:1 GB CompactFlash), Screen: LCD 800x600, 16 Bit)

Until now i have no Sound.

I think the notebook have an ESS 1688 Soundchip inside.

The Sound Wizard don´t find the Sound Device.

How can i get sound running?
WhoDo

PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr 2007, 09:56    Post subject: Re: How to get Sound (ESS1688 Chipset) to work in Puppy 2.15  

Wirrrkopf wrote:
I run Puppy 2.15 CE on an old Notebook (Compaq Armada 4160T, CPU: Pentium I 166 Mhz, RAM: 80 MB, HDD:1 GB CompactFlash), Screen: LCD 800x600, 16 Bit)

Until now i have no Sound.

I think the notebook have an ESS 1688 Soundchip inside.

The Sound Wizard don´t find the Sound Device.

How can i get sound running?

Open the console by clicking the icon on the desktop. Type alsaconf and follow the prompts to chose Legacy Sound Card. You will be given a number of options and ESS1688 is definitely one of those options.

Hope that helps.

Wirrrkopf

PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr 2007, 12:38    Post subject:  

Quote:
Open the console by clicking the icon on the desktop. Type alsaconf and follow the prompts to chose Legacy Sound Card. You will be given a number of options and ESS1688 is definitely one of those options.

Starting alsaconf from a console do nothing else then starting the Puppy sound wizard.

Alsaconf search PNP and PCI soundchip with no success but thats normal because i think my soundchipis an non pnp isa device.

Then alaconf probe a lot of ISA soundchips drivers but the scroll so fast that i can´t identify them and then i get the message "no legacy drivers are available...

I´m not 100% sure with the soundchip. i use a windows NT 4.0 driver with success and in the readme i read "...ESS 688, 1688, 1788 audio controller..."
Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr 2007, 14:27    Post subject:  

I have, in my testbed machine, an ESS 1868 ISA sound card. It was working fine under Puppy 2.13, until the problem surfaced which I've described at

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=16775&start=60

Now I see the same symptoms as Wirrrkopf: the alsaconf ISA detection module scrolls by too quickly to see the individual entries, then it says no legacy drivers are available. Previously alsaconf succeeded in detecting and configuring the ESS 1868 using the 8-bit SoundBlaster (sb8) driver.

I think we need to solve the xvesa-loses-or-wrecks-pup_save.2fs problem before we tackle this one. Maybe solving the latter, will simultaneously solve the former. I found it (actually, Fiberflinger found it, I merely confirmed it) in Puppy 2.14, but I don't know if it affects earlier versions. Evidently it affects 2.15CE as well.
WhoDo

PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr 2007, 18:42    Post subject:  

Sit Heel Speak wrote:
I think we need to solve the xvesa-loses-or-wrecks-pup_save.2fs problem before we tackle this one. Maybe solving the latter, will simultaneously solve the former. I found it (actually, Fiberflinger found it, I merely confirmed it) in Puppy 2.14, but I don't know if it affects earlier versions. Evidently it affects 2.15CE as well.

Yep. 2.15CE is built from the 2.14 packages in Unleashed. Therefore it is essentially 2.14 with known bugfixes and package updates, plus some look-and-feel polish.

ezeze5000

PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr 2007, 20:45    Post subject: puppy 2.15 sound bug?  

Sit Heel Speak wrote:
I have, in my testbed machine, an ESS 1868 ISA sound card. It was working fine under Puppy 2.13, until the problem surfaced which I've described at

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=16775&start=60

Now I see the same symptoms as Wirrrkopf: the alsaconf ISA detection module scrolls by too quickly to see the individual entries, then it says no legacy drivers are available. Previously alsaconf succeeded in detecting and configuring the ESS 1868 using the 8-bit SoundBlaster (sb8) driver.

I have loaded puppy 2.15 on this old laptop, (HD install) and everthing works except the sound.

This is a Toshiba 4010CDS
ram 320mb
processor 266mhz
audio OPL3SA2
hard drive 6gb

The alsaconf ISA detection module scrolls by too quickly to see the individual entries, then it says no legacy drivers are available.

Is there a manual work around to fix this sound, until the detection module can be fixed?

Thanks.

GeoffB

PostPosted: Sat 14 Apr 2007, 21:20    Post subject:  

There is a quick fix here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=110484#110484

Geoff
WhoDo

PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr 2007, 02:46    Post subject: Re: puppy 2.15 sound bug?  

ezeze5000 wrote:
The alsaconf ISA detection module scrolls by too quickly to see the individual entries, then it says no legacy drivers are available.

There is a permanent fix for this sound problem. A link to the fix is in Projects>Puppy 2.15CE Patches and Updates and deals with replacing the alsaconf script with one that properly finds the legacy drivers that are already in zdrv_215.sfs

Hope that helps

Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr 2007, 14:42    Post subject: Re: puppy 2.15 sound bug?  

WhoDo wrote:
ezeze5000 wrote:

There is a permanent fix for this sound problem. A link to the fix is in Projects>Puppy 2.15CE Patches and Updates...

Do this:

Go to http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=16495

There, tempestuous has posted three dot-pets. Download all three as prescribed below, then install them in the order shown below:

For each one, go

1. Right-click "Download" in the forum dialog box.

2. Open in New Tab.

3. A dialog box willl appear, titled "Opening alsa...pet"
--Left-click "Save it to disk," then "OK"

4. On the first one (choose ALSA-lib-1.0.12rc1.pet), do the following (not necessary on the two others):
--Click "Browse for other folders"
--Click "root" button, then "my-applications", then "Save" (if you are in 2.14 using the jwm windowmanager, you may have to drag the window up a bit to see the "Save" button).

5. On the second two (alsaconf-original.pet and ALSA-utils-1.0.12rc1.pet), just click Save, the dialog box will already point to /root/my-applications.

6. After you download all three, now open a Rox window, go to /root/my-applications, and left-click-and-install them in this order:

ALSA-lib-1.0.12rc1.pet
alsaconf-original.pet
ALSA-utils-1.0.12rc1.pet

7. Menu - Shutdown - Restart X Server.

8. Menu - Utility - rxvt and issue the command

fixmenus

9. Again do Menu - Shutdown - Restart X Server.

Now you can do Menu - Setup - ALSA sound wizard.

I've tried this on a P3 running 2.14 and a P4 running 2.15CE-Final (patched) and it works for both versions; the P3 had the can't-find-ESS1868-ISA-card issue, and this cures it. It does take a few seconds for the "Driver Selection" window to appear, after you choose to "Probe ISA cards" (if you have an ISA rather than PCI sound card).

HTH,
SHS
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: