Quirky Web & Forum page displays - is this a bug ?

Booting, installing, newbie
Scoticus

#1 Post by Scoticus »

I have had some slack time at work and was reading the varying posts seeking assistance and found that there are 3 similar posts seeking a resolution to page displays.

I initiated a post "Fully displaying web page" on 9 Apr and on the 12th there was a post titled "Opera web browser & resolutions" only to be followed on the 16th by "Browser page too big".

From what I can see there were similar replies but in my case the result was short term. It could be that there is something needed to be looked at as it seems strange that this is happening with differing browsers and pages.

Ian

Bruce B

Re: Quirky Web & Forum page displays - is this a bug ?

#2 Post by Bruce B »

Scoticus wrote: {cut}

I initiated a post "Fully displaying web page" on 9 Apr and on the 12th there was a post titled "Opera web browser & resolutions" only to be followed on the 16th by "Browser page too big".

From what I can see there were similar replies but in my case the result was short term. It could be that there is something needed to be looked at as it seems strange that this is happening with differing browsers and pages.

Ian
Part of this is very easy to validate. In the "Browser page too big" topic, the site was identified as this forum.

Considering that all of us reading this are reading on the forum complained about, considering most of us are reading with Puppy, is this a valid complaint?

We've all got eyes to see, any of us need to scroll horizontally and vertically to read the forum?

Scoticus

#3 Post by Scoticus »

Bruce

You are missing the point. When I view this forum using exactly the same settings in Opera for XP and Puppy 2.15 there is no right hand scroll bar displayed in Puppy. Of the 3 buttons at the top right of the page only the - properly displays.

There is obviously something wrong if I and others experience difficulties using common settings. THe fact that there is a need to use scroll bars is incidental it is the total lack of the right hand one that is the problem.

We can all read and see what is on the forum but to have to continually fiddle about with settings to read what is there it takes away from the enjoyment.

Puppy is being pushed as a better option than other distros and particularly windoz but if it will not properly display pages that others can and do without problems it will detract from its use.

Ian

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

You say I'm missing the point?

Man, I don't even get the picture. Maybe you can explain my picture. Its not magic and I didn't do any special tweaking.

I did however shrink the size of the Opera window, for you and all, so you wouldn't get a horizontal scroll-bar.

I'll try and figure things out and we'll talk more. Okay?

Even better, how about showing me a picture without the scroll bar in this forum?
Attachments
opera-scroll-bar.png
Please note the vertical scroll bar
(62.64 KiB) Downloaded 230 times

Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

One might also consider different Opera versions, builds and QT libraries

BTW - this version doesn't accept keyboard input in full-screen mode

I might try the static version instead of the shared version.
Attachments
opera-about.png
opera:about
(18.35 KiB) Downloaded 229 times

keilor

#6 Post by keilor »

I think the 'size too big' one was related to screen resolution. The poster said something about setting 640x something. It must be a small screen. I use Firefox and if I resize it's window horizontally to less than 850 the forum stops resizing and the horizontal scrollbar appears.

Bruce B

#7 Post by Bruce B »

keilor wrote:I think the 'size too big' one was related to screen resolution. The poster said something about setting 640x something. It must be a small screen. I use Firefox and if I resize it's window horizontally to less than 850 the forum stops resizing and the horizontal scrollbar appears.
Yes, I noticed the 640x part also. If it means what I think it does, web browsing is going to be awfull on so many sites.

Scoticus, I noticed you wrote 2.15CE, so I installed it, with the intention of helping running down the Opera problem by duplicating your setup as well as possible. It doesn't seem to have Opera. Where did you get your Opera?

(I got mine at ftp.opera.com)
opera-9.20-20070409.6-shared-qt.i386-en.tar.gz