Brand New Open Office 2.2 sfs!

News, happenings
mysticmarks

Brand New Open Office 2.2 sfs!

#1 Post by mysticmarks »

This is a total build of the complete 2.2 Open Office directly from their source tarball. It is The complete suite and will load int the same location as the Original OOo_215.sfs and this one contains menu entries for everything. I found that everything loads much faster than the original OOo_215.sfs.

Please respond to MU's post here-->http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... d=76077873

I really would like to make sure no one else has to worry about the issue of creating entries like in the other sfs for Open Office 2.2 as that was the motivation for spending 6 hours creating this file.
Here is the download link that can also be found on MU's post as well.-->http://puppyisos.org/files/sfs/OpenOffi ... sticmarks/

Don't forget to:
#1. move/save the sfs file to /mnt/home
#2. reboot
#3. open console/terminal and type ---> fixmenus
#4. restart the window manager icewm

Enjoy! (and remember to relate your experience after install to MU!) :)
Last edited by mysticmarks on Mon 23 Apr 2007, 07:43, edited 1 time in total.

cb88

#2 Post by cb88 »

question: how fast are you talkin'? fast on a pc with 128Mb and a 1 ghz proc or fast on a 64Mb pc with 300 Mhz proc? the OOo_2.15.sfs will run on such a machine but it is reallllllllly ssssssslllllllllllllllllloooooooowww........!!!!!

Matu

#3 Post by Matu »

First of all, let me say thank you for your work. I don't care about the speed of the program, but we have the possibility to use it.

Thanks again,

Matu

mysticmarks

relative speed

#4 Post by mysticmarks »

My slowest test machine has 256MB of ram, and a 2ghz processor. So this isnt going to be a great point of reference for you. However, my personal load times for the majority of open office apps went from around 5 seconds down to around 2 seconds. So that, for me, was quite an improvement.

mysticmarks

thanks

#5 Post by mysticmarks »

Matu wrote:First of all, let me say thank you for your work. I don't care about the speed of the program, but we have the possibility to use it.

Thanks again,

Matu
No problem. Thanks for the little note of appreciation. :)

cb88

#6 Post by cb88 »

I think it took about a minute and a half so based on what you day the load time could be as fast as 30-45 sec on the old machine that would be a real improvement. you could test it in qemu puppy limit the virtual ram to 64 Mb and lower the cycles in the config file (I think that can be done) it's usefull for testing which parts of an app are slowing it down (like slowmo cameras for atheletes).

cb88

mysticmarks

testing

#7 Post by mysticmarks »

cb88 wrote:I think it took about a minute and a half so based on what you day the load time could be as fast as 30-45 sec on the old machine that would be a real improvement. you could test it in qemu puppy limit the virtual ram to 64 Mb and lower the cycles in the config file (I think that can be done) it's usefull for testing which parts of an app are slowing it down (like slowmo cameras for atheletes).

cb88
Go for it! ;)

jstrake

a possible mirror for this download?

#8 Post by jstrake »

Hi. Sounds great, but looks like the current site is over bandwidth. Is there a possibility of getting a mirror of this download up? Thanks. Hoping to try it out.

Jonathan

amish

#9 Post by amish »

that's right folks! bloat is f***in' expensive!

bloat: the other, other, other, other white meat...

MU

#10 Post by MU »

the site is back in 2 hours.
But expect bandwidth problems again, so try to download early when it is back.
Mark

cb88

#11 Post by cb88 »

Tested on the 64Mb 300 Mhz laptop still really slow but it seem a little more resonsive might even work if i had another 32 Mb ram. great work!
I think it still took around 120-140 sec to load did i mention the HD is really slow sounds like there is a giant beetle in my hard drive :shock: .
cb88

mysticmarks

cool

#12 Post by mysticmarks »

Cool, glad it loaded up for you. Ive finished my latest SFS file. This one will be uploaded today hopefully. It is going to contain JAVA, Flash, Azureus, and Frostwire. this is more of a file sharing geared sfs, where webmini_215.sfs was for browsing and lighter editing of web stuff. Im doing one last run through on the dev sites for the peer products to make sure there is no updates before i upload. Heads up for later on!

raffy

try filefactory

#13 Post by raffy »

Would you like to try this for alternate download site, as mysticmarks' creations are becoming very popular.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

mysticmarks

post away

#14 Post by mysticmarks »

all mirrors are a great addition. ;)

davec51

My OO 2.2 is Invisible

#15 Post by davec51 »

Surely I am doing something bizarre, but I hope I can achieve fulfillment on this forum, as usual.
I downloaded and installed the 2.2 PupGet. Menu items were added to the Documents menu. But when I click on any of the items in the submenu, absolutely nothing happens. The .sfs is in my hard-disk root, along with all the other Puppy stuff.

mysticmarks

Re: My OO 2.2 is Invisible

#16 Post by mysticmarks »

davec51 wrote:Surely I am doing something bizarre, but I hope I can achieve fulfillment on this forum, as usual.
I downloaded and installed the 2.2 PupGet. Menu items were added to the Documents menu. But when I click on any of the items in the submenu, absolutely nothing happens. The .sfs is in my hard-disk root, along with all the other Puppy stuff.
Pupget? This is not a pupget install. Are you familiar with how to install sfs files in puppy?

davec51

OO 2.2 is Invisible -- Solved!

#17 Post by davec51 »

You're right; it's an sfs file, not a PupGet, and I knew that but misspoke.
As I said in my original post, I put in the root of the same partition where the other Puppy files (sfs, 2fs, swp) were. The problem, appartently, was that I had a defective file. I downloaded again and replaced the faulty file and OO appeared as it should.
Thanks for responding.

puppylinuxw

Re: My OO 2.2 is Invisible

#18 Post by puppylinuxw »

davec51 wrote: The .sfs is in my hard-disk root, along with all the other Puppy stuff.
If u downloadded the oOo.sfs - must be in /mnt/home as above descriped

Fishy

#19 Post by Fishy »

I have a vanilla full hardrive install. Pup save file and zdrv.sfs are automatically installed in /. I assume the openoffice.sfs should be placed there as well? /mnt has cdrom, cddrive, data, flash, floppy, hda3, msdos. ram1, swap, zdrv and zip folders inside.

Configure bootup shows the openoffice.sfs listed and the box is not ticked to ignore it. The OO.sfs download was from Barry's site and md5sum was verified.

Not sure what I am doing wrong? :(

Bye the way is there any way to get puppy to recognize and configure grub so that other distributions are recognized? It is quite ironic that it will automatically add Microsoft Windows but screw up the original dual booted Debian.

Windows hda1, Debian hda2, /home hda3, swap hda5, Puppy hda6 :roll:

mysticmarks

install

#20 Post by mysticmarks »

Im not familiar with full hard drive installs of puppy. I'm also not sure if your speaking of the sfs file i created. I created this one, which is OO22_215.sfs and it is larger than the one/s that others created. It also is structured differently. You weren't specific in your file name. There are (i believe) one or two other open office 2.2 sfs files. One for sure, as it was compiled alongside of BarryK's puppy 2.16 development. I think that one is 102MB, but is stripped down. I built this one from source, and made it complete, with everything available. This isnt following the puppy creed of size, but I figured if someone wants the full office suite as I did, that i was ensuring it was available. After over 100MB of data, im not one to squable over another 20 or so.

Im fairly sure that the full install of sfs files is covered in this forum elsewhere. Posts involving LobsterEd, pizzasgood, sunburnt, sithealspeak, and a few others are quite active reguarding this subject. (Feel free to jump in everyone. :wink: ) These folks all have experience with full installs and just about every other kind of puppy install you can think of.

I tend to think of myself as a USB only user. and although you can install puppy as a full install on usb, i found it suffered a variety of weaknesses and converted back to a standard usb install with a pupsave file. My main motive was these sfs files. I like that when open office, or some of the other sfs file packages that ive compiled are updated, i can build a new sfs file and delete/replace the other and have it be up to date. Then distribute it to other sfs file users. This way im the only one dealing with the nitty gritty of the file, everyone else just follows a basic 5 step process to enjoy the programs. 8) It's my small way of paying it forward in puppy. :wink: