Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 11:02
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Puppy on PPC
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
andy gee

PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr 2007, 07:00    Post subject:  Puppy on PPC
Subject description: Any simple way to install Puppy on an old imac?

I love Puppy! It makes such a simple and good distro, and is one of my favourites, along with Xubuntu and Zenwalk.

I run a charity in Sydney called LibrePC. PCs are donated to me, and I install Xubuntu and give them to disadvantaged children and seniors, giving people access to technology they otherwise wouldn't have and helping the environment at the same time (since these computers are being recycled when they'd otherwise be thrown away).

The Ubuntus are reliable and easy for a complete beginner to use. However, until now I have been limited to machines with 128 MB RAM and 400MHz CPU speed and up - any older than that and even Xfce runs slowly, and I didn't want to try to develop an icewm version of Ubuntu since I am still pretty n00b and I wanted a very simple install.

Now that I have discovered Puppy, I have exactly what I'm after! Easy to use and easy to install, and increases the range of machines I can give away. However, I have been given an old Apple Imac(Rev B or C). I think it's about 266 MHz and 64 MB RAM. I think it would run under Puppy if I could get a PPC based version.

Does anyone have a simple way to get a PPC puppy? Is there a kernel I can use? I would appreciate any help I can get since this machine is taking up room in my bedroom that I don't have spare, but I don't want to throw it away.

Any help greatly appreciated. And if you live in Australia (pref. Sydney) and would like to help out with the charity, email me at librepc@gmail.com.
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: