Cloning an Instance of Puppy....

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Paul

Cloning an Instance of Puppy....

#1 Post by Paul »

I've created a setup of puppy that I like with personalized programs and drivers. I want to use this on my laptop. Is there any way that I can make an image of this onto a cd or usb and use to load this setup onto my laptop. I'm trying to not have to do everything all over again. Is there any way to do this within Puppy??

Rich

#2 Post by Rich »

If I understand it correctly, you just need the pup001 file copying onto the new system.....then boot it accordingly.

( I'd wait for confirmation on this though ! ) :)

Copying an instance of Puppy

#3 Post by 3133 »

You could use the remaster script to burn your new Puppy to a cd.

Paul

#4 Post by Paul »

I tried making a remaster cd, but none of the files that I had saved appeared on the remastered cd. Right now, I'm using puppy v 1.01. Is remastering a live cd supposed to copy everything that i've done?? It seemed like it only copied what was in my /usr directory.

Rich

#5 Post by Rich »

That happened to me when I did the USB memory stick install.
Had the desktop and everything how I liked it, booted it off the USB pen and it was all there.
Tried it at work though and I got the initial Live CD puppy, so I assumed that all of the customisation was stored in the pup001 file on my pc at home.

Puppy Unleashed allows you to make your own version of Puppy, maybe that's the answer

Rich

figueroa

Re: Copying an Instance (a really FAT version) of Puppy....

#6 Post by figueroa »

Paul wrote:I've created a setup of puppy that I like with personalized programs and drivers. I want to use this on my laptop. Is there any way that I can make an image of this onto a cd or usb and use to load this setup onto my laptop. I'm trying to not have to do everything all over again. Is there any way to do this within Puppy??
Is your installation an Option 1 hard drive installation or an Option 2. That makes a big difference. This approach is for an Option 2 installation.

I've created a REALLY FAT Puppy for myself on my laptop, the beginning of what I think I will install on the student computers in our computer lab (I teach at a VERY small Christian school.). To back it up for archiving or moving I use a script like the following which I run from another Option 1 installation in a different partition.

#gentoo2bak.scr
cd /mnt/puppyoption2
tar cpzf /mnt/home/bak/bin.tar.gz bin/
tar cpzf /mnt/home/bak/boot.tar.gz boot/
# boot contains vmlinuz and a grub directory
tar cpzf /mnt/home/bak/dev.tar.gz dev/
tar cpzf /mnt/home/bak/etc.tar.gz --no-recursion etc/
# this is to copy the etc symlink
# tar cpzf /mnt/home/bak/home.tar.gz home/
# No home directory (yet)
tar cpzf /mnt/home/bak/lib.tar.gz lib/
tar cpzf /mnt/home/bak/mnt.tar.gz --no-recursion /mnt/gentoo/mnt/*
# copies the directory structure of mnt only
tar cpzf /mnt/home/bak/opt.tar.gz opt/
# have OpenOffice, firefox, and acroread installed in opt
tar cpzf /mnt/home/bak/proc.tar.gz --no-recursion /mnt/gentoo/proc/
tar cpzf /mnt/home/bak/root.tar.gz root/
tar cpzf /mnt/home/bak/sbin.tar.gz sbin/
#tar cpzf /mnt/home/bak/sys.tar.gz --no-recursion sys/
# there is no sys directory
tar cpzf /mnt/home/bak/tmp.tar.gz tmp/
tar cpzf /mht/home/bak/usr.tar.gz usr/
tar cpzf /mnt/home/bak/var.tar.gz var/

This compressed about 580 megabytes of installed stuff to just over 204 megabyes of archives.

Then take all those files in /mnt/home/bak and burn them to a CD.

From the CD unarchive them in a new location by changing to the root directory of the new drive/partition and use:
tar xzf /mnt/cdrom/bin.tar.gz
etc., or you can put the commands in a shell script.

This is the same approach I use to backup other Linux installations, and even Windows installations from Linux.

I have also installed Gimp 1.2 from Slackware 9.0 and it seems to run perfectly. After unpacking and copying the files to the right place, all I did was to create a bunch of symlinks indicated in the installation script.
Andy Figueroa
figueroa@philippians-1-20.us

mouldy

#7 Post by mouldy »

I have an old "emergency" self-booting cd of Acronis True Image (linux based but commercial). I just use it to get image of any partition and then can restore it to any same size or larger partition or store it on cd. About as brainless as such gets. You do need to once again boot Acronis in order to restore the saved image file.

Lots of other imaging software. http://www.linuxsoft.cz/en/sw_list.php?id_kategory=89 Or I havent played with it, but Puppy's own PUDD probably do the job.

everettattebury

#8 Post by everettattebury »

Rich wrote:That happened to me when I did the USB memory stick install.
Had the desktop and everything how I liked it, booted it off the USB pen and it was all there.
Tried it at work though and I got the initial Live CD puppy, so I assumed that all of the customisation was stored in the pup001 file on my pc at home.

Puppy Unleashed allows you to make your own version of Puppy, maybe that's the answer

Rich
Hi Rich.

Take a look at your syslinux.cfg on your USB stick.
Here is mine:

default vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 initrd=image.gz acpi=off
append PSLEEP=25 PHOME=sda1 PFILE=pup100-ask-262144

There is an explanation of how to use PSLEEP, PHOME and PFILE on this page:

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/config-puppy.htm

You should be able to copy the pup100 file (that is configured the way you want ) to your USB stick, and edit the syslinux.cfg file to point to it. Then you will be able to boot it on any computer, and it will use the pup100 file on the usb stick, and not touch the hard drive.