Installing to USB flash: Puppy sees wrong CD drive

Booting, installing, newbie
peterthewolf

Installing to USB flash: Puppy sees wrong CD drive

#1 Post by peterthewolf »

I have downloaded puppy 2.15 and written iso to cd and booted from cd cd being on hda
I then tried to install to 512MB usb stick but failed as install wanted to read puppy cd from hdb which does not exist
Any ideas

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

This may help.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=16950
It describes some other techniques for installing Puppy, including a full setup on a flash drive.

PhilD

USB Flash Install

#3 Post by PhilD »

You can overcome that issue by using the PMount program to mount the CD so the files are available before you start the Universal installer.

PhilD

USB Flash Install

#4 Post by PhilD »

Warning Neubie !!

I am trying to install to a Transcend 2Gig USB Flash/Pen/Stick. I use PCs with various BIOS's but two with AWARD v6.0 on MSI-6378 main boards - I have flash updated them to v3.5 which supports booting from USB-ZIP.... I understand/am hoping that this board may boot when the drive is formatted as a "super floppy" ie without a partion table.

When I use the installer to format the drive I get the choice of EXT3 or VFAT - it recommends EXT3 - so I choose it and format the drive - the next step the installer trys to mount /dev/sda and copy the files to it ... the installer reports that the mount fails and whilst the installer appears to copy the files there is nothing on the drive and puppy has real problems attempting to find the drive - the PMount program cannot find it. I have re-booted puppy and it finds the drive again - but is clearly not happy with the drive with no partitions on it. Won't allow me to mount it with PMount then reports it as having been removed.

When you go in again the installer asks you if you wish to make a partition. Doing so - and selecting the EXT3 option - again the installer can't then mount the /dev/sda - should it not be trying to mount /dev/sda1.

Going into GParted the drive is showing now as having a vfat partion even though I selected EXT3.

I did get it to mount and copy the files over by modifying the script ie hardcoding the sda1 and having used GParted to format a single ext3 partition. It still won't boot :-(

Not sure if I have a dodgy drive or what .. appreciate any pointers. I am thinking there is something not quite right with the installer. Is there a howto on doing it manually?

Phil