TEENpup Version 1.0.0 iso download now!

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
lvds

#61 Post by lvds »

john biles wrote:I don't know why you are having trouble with it opening as it has never been a problem for me?

As for changing the icons at the top of the Rox file manager all you have to do is this.
From root go /usr/local/apps and right mouse click on the ROX-filer icon and click "Look inside" its that easy, have fun.
- it's ok now for the acrobat reader, i guess i was running out of memory and the problem disappeared after i reboot, thanks.

- about ROX icons, when i go to this directory it does not contains all the icons ROX use, like the "change to .. directory" or "bookmarks menu" ... I noticed you changed your with some blue ones looking great and i wanted to change mine also on another distro but i haven't found them among directories... Do you remember where they are installed ?

Best regards,
Laurent.

john biles

#62 Post by john biles »

Hello lvds,
Basically I added the icons to ROX from another folder I have, there not in another location in TEENpup. I will zip them for you and post them here. I am at work at the moment and will post them later today when I get home.

I'm home lvds, here you go.
Attachments
rox1.2icons.tar.gz
(27.67 KiB) Downloaded 571 times
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

john biles

#63 Post by john biles »

Hello TEENpup users,

As the first TEENpup is based on Puppy 2.10 which uses T2 compression, the final iso was 226MB's in size.
I have been build TEENpup 2.0 on Puppy 2.14 and the size of the iso has grown way to big. It looks like the iso for 2.0 would come in at around 270MB's without T2's compression.
If I include the Apps I like to include in TEENpup 2.0 using Puppy 2.14 as the base, the iso will grown to 350MB's which is unexceptable.

I have decided to review what the next TEENpup will be and will be creating a iso around the 200MB or less mark.
Until I feel TEENpup 2.0 can offer some benefit over TEENpup 1.0.0 it won't be released.
I believe BarryK is thinking about bring back T2 compression in future Puppy's.
I don't know at this stage if the next TEENpup with use Puppy 2.14 as its base or be based on future versions of Puppy.
Also Puppy 2.15CE when its finished may change what the next TEENpup will be.

Viking62

64 bit question

#64 Post by Viking62 »

Hello-great distro! I was wondering....Since the latest systems are turning toward 64.....I'm going to build a duo E6600 2 gb Corsair pro overclocked system by nov-2007 --My question.....will this distro take advantage of that type of system & if not;will there be a 64 version upcoming? This already beats windoze......But,64 is the wave of the future. Thanks for your contribution to the free world :!: :D

Pizzasgood

#65 Post by Pizzasgood »

For the record, T2 is has no relation to compression. It's a set of scripts used to compile large numbers of applications (essentially used to compile Puppy completely from source).

The compression you're thinking of is LZMA.

Just to avoid confusion :wink:

If you do some searching or asking on the forum, you might turn up how to enable LZMA compression in 2.14. You might have to rebuild it with Unleashed though, as I'm not sure if the remaster script can do it (without modification anyway).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

john biles

#66 Post by john biles »

Hello Everyone,
After seeing the great work by the team creating Puppy 2.15CE, I was inspired to get working on TEENpup version 2.14
As requested then next TEENpup will be based on Puppy 2.14

Here's a current screenshot of the next TEENpup.

It's still a few weeks away.
Attachments
TEENpup 2.14.jpg
(84.29 KiB) Downloaded 1384 times

raffy

looking good

#67 Post by raffy »

That is a good plan, various builds following every release by Barry. To lessen the size of the ISO, you may want to learn the tricks of sfs creation.

Creation

The trick is to use a base ISO, say 2.15CE. Make sure that pup_save is clean. Add your packages and make sure they are working (sometimes rebooting may be required). Look at /initrd/pup_rw and copy the needed program files to a work directory in a Linux partition (include the necessary hidden files in /root). Make an sfs by "mksquashfs work_directory new_214.sfs" in console (use the numbering scheme of the version).

Loading the sfs

Put new_214.sfs in the same partition of a clean pup_save and reboot. Voila, all your new packages will be there!

You will then distribute only this new_214.sfs.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

john biles

#68 Post by john biles »

Hello raffy,
I will give it a go but by the looks of things you need a copy of Puppy already to access the sfs file.
What about new users who want an iso?

raffy

an opportunity

#69 Post by raffy »

Of course you can still do a remaster. Or the user will do it.

Hmm, my suggestion is not meant to prevent you from doing a remaster, but to convey the fact that there is an opportunity to build a smaller sfs while in the process of building a remaster. :) (That opportunity is lost when the files in /initrd/pup_rw are merged with the rest of the files during a remaster.)
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Gekko

#70 Post by Gekko »

That's thunar in that screenshot isn't it?! High five.

john biles

#71 Post by john biles »

Hello Gekko, it is.
Also expect some more surprises in TEENpup 2.0 :D

cam34

#72 Post by cam34 »

Hi There!
Nice work on the TeenPup!
If I could just suggest that when you click the connect icon that the Internet connection wizard comes up instead of the dialer app (GKdial? I can't remember its name sorry).
Just my 2c worth.

Thanks and Good Work!

joshfan

run problem

#73 Post by joshfan »

I downloaded you teenpup and burned to disk. then booted it and it boots but get to a part where it loades some USB drivesers and freezes. I have 256 mb of ream so i gues that is not enough to run or install it? because it will get to no where that i can run it or install it.

elenara

#74 Post by elenara »

Hi joshfan,

My machine has 256Mb RAM and runs TEENpup 1.0.0; John Biles also runs TENNpup with 256Mb RAM at work. My problem was CD drive 'locked' and now it's solved. You can read more here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=16982

About problem with loaded USB drivers I don't know what happens. Do you burned TEENpup LiveCD using CD-R or CD-RW media? Some errors can ocurrs with CD-RW media (I read about this but I'dont remember where).

Good luck!

elenara
:P I'm learning... always!
(Any supposed offense is because of bad english or idea formulation and was not intended in any way.)

setecio

#75 Post by setecio »

Will Teenpup run on a 128MB 300MHz PII IBM thinkpad 560z laptop with Linux swap file. Puppy 2.14 runs fine on it.

john biles

#76 Post by john biles »

Hello setecio,
Give it a try and maybe create some swap on your Hard Drive say 128Mb's
I could only get Puppy 2.03 running on a Pentium 1 PC with 32mb's of ram when I created some swap. (sometimes creating an ext2 partition over a ext3 partition has worked for me) I had to wait 20 minutes for Puppy to boot up on the old PC with 32mb's of ram Live before I could use Gpart to setup the required partitions. It took a bit of time to get it to work, so keep experimenting, good luck.

Joshfan, I'd check the checksum to see if you have downloaded TEENpup without errors first. Also remember TEENpup 1.0.0 is based on Puppy 2.10

Have you tried Puppy 2.10 or 2.14
One thing I have learnt about Linux after trying over 50 different distro's is that one distro will work nicely on one PC and then not work well or at all on another PC. I've had great success with Mepis 3.4-3 where others on this forum could get it to boot at all.

With TEENpup all that has been added is more Apps and changes to the appearance of Icons, mime files etc.
I have not removed anything.

I hope you get it working. TEENpup 2.0.0 will be coming in a few weeks time and is based on Puppy 2.14 so hopefully you will have more luck then.

metre9dmt

TeenPup bug (i think?)

#77 Post by metre9dmt »

Tried to use TeenPup at the office wherein I have Pentium 4, nvidia motherboard and video built in, ps/2 mouse and keyboard and LCD monitor. I was able to see the main screen but the mouse is nowhere to be found. Any suggestions to go around this problem?

I will test it later at home and report details later.

Regards.

Dominic M. Tolentino

metre9dmt

TeenPup bug (i think?) Rejoinder

#78 Post by metre9dmt »

Used an officemate's computer with a regular CRT monitor and almost the same specs, TeenPup works! The mouse works perfectly.

Does TeenPup have a bug on LCD monitors?

Dominic M. Tolentino

john biles

#79 Post by john biles »

Hello metre9dmt,
I test TEENpup where I work and they have an LCD screen, no problems.
Some times I have to re-run the xorgwizard and in there you will find the mouse wizard, which may allow you to get around the problem. Also at work I can only use xvesa as TEENpup 1.0.0 won't work correctly using xorg.
As I am working on TEENpup 2.0.0 at the moment, testing so far has both xvesa and xorg working fine on the PC at work.

asawa ko pilipina so good to hear someone from the Philippines is trying out TEENpup.

raffy

Philippines

#80 Post by raffy »

Ah, I also discovered metre9dmt is just a neighbor! And you are, too, John. This is too good to be totoo (real), eh?