Quisp Database

Using applications, configuring, problems
Keith Silva

Quisp Database

#1 Post by Keith Silva »

The Quisp database in Puppy appears perfect for the project I'm beginning. Before I spend a lot of time learning and using Quisp, I'd like to ask whether anyone has had any good or bad experience with it. I've looked around the web, but there doesn't appear to me much written about Quisp. Of course, I've been to Quisp's SourceForge page. The documentation for the program is excellent.

Also, are there similar simple web-based database programs I should consider?

Thanks, Keith Silva

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

Keith, this clearly doesn't answer your question. I was in the same boat as you.

Then I discovered that didiwiki (included with Puppy) answered all my needs and then some. Also, it's not obvious but didiwiki uses a style sheet and you can fix it up really fancy.

If you decide on didiwiki, I'll post you the default style sheet.

Keith Silva

#3 Post by Keith Silva »

Hi Bruce:

Thanks for the reply. I did look at didiwiki and several other Wiki programs. Check out TiddlyWiki if you haven't yet. I'm managing many projects using several big spreadsheets and the time has come to go to a database. I also want to have my data available to my coworkers on the web. Since there is a lot of structure to my data, I think a database is better than a Wiki. Quisp seems to be perfect and the documentation is extensive and well done. I"m going to go ahead and start working with Quisp.

I'll report back and let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks, Keith Silva

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

Note also that Puppy now has Sqlite built-in, and there is a GUI GTK2 frontend thingy for Sqlite, but it didn't work in Puppy -- when I pointed my browser at the index.html page it was blank, when it shouldn't have been. I emailed the authors about it. Anyway, if it could be made to work, it is another alternative to consider.
What's the name of it now?.... I posted the url in another forum thread... ah here it is: http://sqlitedbms.sourceforge.net/index.htm
...looks like good stuff (if it works)

Note, if it can be made to work, I will strongly consider it to be part of the base Puppy system, as we already have Sqlite and various other apps in Puppy use Sqlite.

Keith Silva

#5 Post by Keith Silva »

Hi Barry:

First, thanks for a great Linux Distro. Thank you as well for the lead to sqlitedbms. I scanned through its website and I will look at it more closely. I've used sqlite with php5 and I think it is very nice and a good fit with Puppy Linux. Whatever I decide to use, my development work will be running on Puppy on my little old Sony laptop.

Regards, Keith Silva