Pizzapup 3.0.1 Final (formerly RC1)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
thehousedad

Number Lock Problem

#21 Post by thehousedad »

Because number-lock on the laptop transforms the right side of the keys into numbers I cannot use use the x terminal to write the command. i tried exiting x enviroment to just the command line but I don't have the same problem there. I ran the xnumlock there but when I ran startx it was back. How do I comment it out of the command line?

bostonvaulter

#22 Post by bostonvaulter »

you could try just copying 'xsetnumlock' from my post into your command line. You would do this by running rxvt and selecting 'xsetnumlock' from my post and then middle-clicking in rxvt to paste.

to get rid of it from .xinitrc edit .xinitrc and where you see this:

Code: Select all

#activate numlock
xsetnumlock &
change it to this:

#activate numlock
#xsetnumlock &
you can edit it by opening up geany and editing the file /root/.xinitrc

Hope this helps,
Jason
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/BostonVaulter/avatar/puppybar.png[/img]

Pizzasgood

#23 Post by Pizzasgood »

:oops: I didn't realize laptops work like that (I don't have one, but I will in a week or so).

I added a command to run xsetnumlock at line 10 of /root/.xinitrc. If you delete that line (or stick a # in front) things should be normal.

Maybe I'll reconsider enabling it by default, though I will continue including the program itself.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

bostonvaulter

#24 Post by bostonvaulter »

pizzasgood,

not all laptops work like that. for my dell laptop you have to have numlock on and press fn+key to get the numbers. I know it was a setting somewhere, maybe in the bios but maybe it was in dells window setup program thing, although i don't know if that would carry over to linux...
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/BostonVaulter/avatar/puppybar.png[/img]

thehousedad

Thanks that worked

#25 Post by thehousedad »

I added a # in front of line 10 and I am back in business. Thank you.

thehousedad

Flash Solved

#26 Post by thehousedad »

Thank you so much PG for the instructions on how to install flash, and all other instructions for that matter. I have another question how do you install dockapps into the icewm doc?

Greystar

#27 Post by Greystar »

thehousedad.......I can help you with the flash go here[url=http://puppyfiles.org/dotpupsde/dotpups/Internet/]
And get the flash9.pup and install......Worked for me.Hope it helps.

Pizzasgood

#28 Post by Pizzasgood »

Docapps. Hmm... I played with those a little back in September or so. I don't remember much anymore though. I think there was a program called icedock or something that you had to start from /root/.xinitrc in parallel (follow the command with a space and then an ampersand). Then you had to launch the dockapps the same way.

I don't think the needed stuff is included in Pizzapup. If there isn't already a dotpup for it, I'm sure someone could set one up. It could probably be stripped out from MU's IceWM Ultra package.

Hmm... I see I forgot to promote this to Final. I'll go do that. :roll:
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

Eyes-Only

#29 Post by Eyes-Only »

Fantastic job Pizza! Man... if I didn't have a highly customised 2.14 already installed on this HD? You can bet dollars to donuts your 3.0.1 would be there now! This is the way, IMVHO, Puppy should look and come equipped. :)

Ah! But the good news? My second computer for my wife & grandson is waiting for a Linux OS in the next room. ;) LOL! So we know where this is going. Still though, I do have 3.0.1 set up with a save.2fs on this one for when I want to play around.

Glad you updated to the 2.14 "kernel" because now my USB setting sticks. In the 3.0 version I'd have to reset it each time I'd boot into 3.0. Not only that, but the 2.14 has a setting for we "southpaws" (lefthand mousers) which is rather nice as well.

Whenever I do drive maintenance, like fsck checks, reformatting in prep for new installs, and whatnots, I pop your disk right in. Talk about polished! Wow...

Thank you so very much for all your hard work and dedication placed into this puplet Pizza. You've made this Old Pup here a very happy man indeed! I shan't forget this.

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Pizzasgood

#30 Post by Pizzasgood »

Thanks. 3.0.1 is actually a little unpolished though. I rushed it a bunch since I wasn't really adding anything new, so an icon or two slipped through. Overall I'm satisfied though. I'll take my time on the next one, like I did with 3.0.

I installed 3.0.1 on my new old laptop today (used Dell Latitude 640, 2.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 1400x1050 native res (surprised me, I expected less)). Since I didn't have immediate access to my stash of dotpups, I realized some more things I need to add to the next Pizzapup (like unrpm and undeb). Conky will probably also be included. I didn't have any issues with the numlock, but my bios were set to require the fn key to be pressed. I'm going to disable xsetnumlock by default on the next Pizzapup, but I'll add an option to enable it in one of the wizards.

Incidentally, I'm also a lefty. Except only half the time. I write, bat, and draw left handed, but I pitch, click, and lift right handed. The general trend I've noticed is to do stuff involving dexterity left handed and strength right handed, except with the mouse which is already there, and the bat which I learned when young and it stuck. I do snowboard goofy, and not just referring to my stance. ;)

Now I need to finish reading the forum and then work on PET-Be-Gone some more. I plan to have it finished by Sunday, so I'll finally be able to start working on my bootsplash again. I vowed to myself that I wouldn't start Pizzapup 3.1 until I have Pebble rebuilt from scratch and to the point where it can toggle between a splash and text. I want 3.1 to make a splash :P

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#31 Post by GuestToo »

DaveDX

#32 Post by DaveDX »

PG,

I'm trying to use gcc. On a regular hard drive install, where do I put devx_214.sys? Do I need to rename it devx_301_sys for Pizzapup? I've tried a lot of things...nothing works.

Dave

DennisF

#33 Post by DennisF »

DaveDX,
I have PizzaPup3.0 running now booting frugal.
The devx is named devx_300.sfs and I get gcc (gcc version 3.4.4).
I renamed devx_214.sfs.
Need to mount it after you have a pup_save.

Good luck!
-DF

DennisF

#34 Post by DennisF »

Confirmed this with 3.01 and devx_301.sfs too.

DaveDX

#35 Post by DaveDX »

Problem solved. Installing one of these .sfs files on a regular hard drive puppy installation is different:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=8871

Dave

Pizzasgood

#36 Post by Pizzasgood »

For the record, you can make symlinks of them if you want to share the same file between two versions of Puppy, as long as they're in a linux partition.

joshfan

firefox-MPlayer

#37 Post by joshfan »

First i love your Pizzapup 3.0 os, it is cool and i love the Vista theme it really is good work. How long did it take you to put that together?

And i do have one problem with it. it is in firefox. when i play videos it plays with that mplayer through firefox. and i will not play them right they are distorted. can they not be streamed though xzine or another method? is there an Qtime or realplayer dot pup or something?

That is my only problem, other wise it is a great puppy vertion.

Pizzasgood

#38 Post by Pizzasgood »

Could you give me an example link? Everything I've seen came out shaped right.

You could stream it through another plugin or player, but you'd have to find and install one. I don't know if there are any dotpups out there, and I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject. I watch very little video at all, let alone on my computer.

I'm not really sure how long it took. I have a horrible sense of time, especially when working. And it was mostly over Christmas break, so my temporal sense was pretty much dislocated :) Much of the time I was alternating between working or researching some problem, and playing games or reading Popular Science magazines I had gotten behind on.

TonshA

#39 Post by TonshA »

Hi PG,

I've just noticed that Partview isn't running from the menu. When I try and execute it from a console I get this:

sh-3.00# partview
Error in startup script: child process exited abnormally
    while executing
"exec /bin/losetup-FULL /dev/loop1 | grep "/pup_save" | cut -f 2 -d "(" | cut -f 1 -d ")" | cut -f 4 -d "/" "
    (procedure "df_check" line 11)
    invoked from within
"df_check"
    (file "/usr/sbin/partview" line 84)
sh-3.00# 
...aaaand my brain stops..... :)

This is in Pizzapup 3.0.1 - anyone else having the same problem?

DaveA

Pizzasgood

#40 Post by Pizzasgood »

Ah, that's a result of changing from pup_save to pza_save. Open /usr/sbin/partview in Geany and do a find-replace to change all instances of pup_save to pza_save. Then it should be fine. :)