Puppy 215CE Final "VIZ" is here!

News, happenings
msumner

#21 Post by msumner »

Previously known as Guest wrote:
I'm also seeding the torrent for a while, currently 11 seeding & 2 downloading.
I don't seem to be able to get hold of the torrent, does anyone have a working linK?

Cheers, Mike

Scoticus

Puppy 215CE Final "VIZ" is here!

#22 Post by Scoticus »

Warren

You have obviously done a great job of convincing everyone that 2.15CE is the one to have as yet again bandwidth exceeded.

Tried every link offered with exception of torrent as I dont know what to do with it.

Can you advise on how I treat the final version as until now I was using stand along CDs. I want to work with a multisession disk and ask what do I do with the OOo and web sfs files. Where do I put them ?

I will keep on trying to get the final download and await your advice.

Many thanks for everything

Ian

hagisbasheruk

#23 Post by hagisbasheruk »

Visually this is great,i love the blueish icons and the menu system goes well with the background.

It would be good if all the links on the main browser page worked fine like http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=9678 doesn't work

Previously known as Guest

#24 Post by Previously known as Guest »

msumner wrote:
Previously known as Guest wrote:
I'm also seeding the torrent for a while, currently 11 seeding & 2 downloading.
I don't seem to be able to get hold of the torrent, does anyone have a working linK?

Cheers, Mike
mysticmarks PM'd me this DELETED (rename from zip, it's actually a torrent.)
Last edited by Previously known as Guest on Thu 12 Apr 2007, 05:06, edited 2 times in total.

Pizzasgood

#25 Post by Pizzasgood »

There are bittorrent clients for Puppy, but I know very little about them. I just used Azureus, which I included in the web_215.sfs file. If you already have that file, just use it. Download the torrent file and open it with Azureus, and it should start downloading.

Otherwise, there should be instructions on the forum about ctorrent (I think that's the name).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

MU

#26 Post by MU »

#27 Post by Previously known as Guest »

Edited first post with working torrent link.

J_Rey

ibiblio and mirrors

#28 Post by J_Rey »

Barry has uploaded this to ibiblio and so its now available there along with its mirrors: http://www.puppyos.com/download/downpage.htm

mysticmarks

torrents

#29 Post by mysticmarks »

Pizzasgood wrote:There are bittorrent clients for Puppy, but I know very little about them. I just used Azureus, which I included in the web_215.sfs file. If you already have that file, just use it. Download the torrent file and open it with Azureus, and it should start downloading.

Otherwise, there should be instructions on the forum about ctorrent (I think that's the name).
Ctorrent has to be added to 215 by way of the puppy software package manager, as it is not installed. If you have either web_215.sfs or webmini_215.sfs, then Azureus will work fine. If you would like to use transmisson, simply download the torrent file to a directory such as dotpups-downloads, start transmission client, click add, browse through to the directory that you downloaded the torrent to and pick it. That should do the trick.

Note to people not familiar with torrents. Torrents DEPEND on you leaving them active after you have the file yourself! If you download the torrent, if at all possible, leave the torrent client program active as long as possible. this will help other users to recieve their file much faster. if hardly anyone seeds, then the file will not persist very well. Unfortunately, if everyone stops seeding, there is no torrent. LUCKILY, we are puppy people, and this IS Puppy, so it shouldn't be a big problem. If you cant seed continuously, just start back up your used torrent client any time your browsing the web with puppy and it should be a great pickme up for everyone!

ezeze5000

puppy

#30 Post by ezeze5000 »

Puppy has been uploaded to this site:

http://linuxtracker.org/

EDIT: Actually the torrent was uploaded, and I am helping to seed it.

I hope this helps.
Last edited by ezeze5000 on Sat 07 Apr 2007, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.
If at first you don't succeed try try again!

Sit Heel Speak

#31 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

The torrent posted by Previously Known As Guest is functional; I'm 2/3 of the way done and will leave my computer (a Windows 98SE box using MicroTorrent) on, to seed through the weekend. The first half-hour was very slow. Now, two hours into it, I'm seeing 160-200kbps on my 256/512kbps ADSL line. It says there is only 38 minutes to go. Hmm, probably less than that, as it has gone from 64% done to 76% done just as I was typing this. Yeah, now it says only 26 minutes left to go.

#32 Post by Previously known as Guest »

60 GB in under an hour :shock: I've pulled the actual ISO link as the direct link on DW is killing my server. All other files including .sfs files available until bandwidth is consumed for the day. There are several hosts/mirrors for the ISO, torrents included. I'm trying to maintain functionality of the server & spread the demand around a bit. On DW the ISO is linked to my site, the md5 is linked to ibiblio. :?: Hopefully DW readers will click the download link now. Sorry for the inconvenience. :x

EDIT:

I see the DW link is changed :) the iso has been re-enabled for download on pkagfiles.net. Btw, I'm still running the torrent & will for a while. :) Hopefully everyone gets the files they want.

Happy F'ing Easter. :lol:

Sit Heel Speak

#33 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Previously known as Guest wrote:Btw, I'm still running the torrent & will for a while
So far I've seeded substantial pieces of it to one downloader in Stockton, California, one in New South Wales, Australia, another in Western Australia, and one ongoing right now in the Philippines. Gee. I wish I could charge long-distance tariffs.

wow

#34 Post by wow »

Seeding . . .
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://i.imgur.com/M4OyHe1.gif[/img][/url]

MU

#35 Post by MU »

When I try to open the puppy-215CE-Final.iso.torrent in Transmission, an errormessage pops up:
Failed to load torrent file:
/mnt/sda7/_torrent/puppy-215CE-Final.iso.torrent: not a valid torrent file
I downloaded it from different locations to different folders without success, and tried 2 versions of Transmission.
Any ideas?

Thanks, Mark

richard.a

#36 Post by richard.a »

Dunno where to post this because there isn't an "insider" section of the forum afaik. So here goes...

My thoughts on how 2.15ce has turned out have now become a big question-mark over how the ISO seems to have the same problems I saw in rc3 and rc4, even though WhoDo actually changed stuff in the release.

Indeed I thought I remembered him saying several times that when he rebuilt it with changes in, they were over-written by older stuff.

I'm wondering if this has happened again, because of the similarity that I can see from running a burn of two different downloads, compared with the rc4 and my memories of rc3.

Here are two screencaps from final with a brand new save file, one from pkag's download, and the other from MU's site - I can't remember which is which - showing the "no text" on the shutdown menu and also on closing a VNC client, when using the IceBergX theme.

Image_Image

There is something else odd too. The taskbar icons to the left of the clock have vanished, and I also can't find the button you click on to make them appear. I've compared every config file I can find associated with icewm in both the rc4 and the release, and can find no suggestion of anything that is different. I'm really puzzled.

I've waited until late on Saturday night my time to pose this question. And please don't think this is an attack on Warren, either, because it isn't. Please remember the strife I had with the isos I originally downloading not having the same md5.

Could I perhaps still have two identical bad downloads from two different servers, which this time agree with the md5? I don't know, wouldn't have thought so.

Am I the only one who has found these things? If so it HAS to be my bad download - two in fact, from two different servers, because both were burned and the same problems show whichever CD is run.

So, can someone please download the iso I'm mirroring and try it for themselves?

There is also a problem with my attempting to load any background not in the background directory; when locating it and clicking okay in the dialogue, the utility changes directory to /usr/local/Puppybackground/resource

Even putting the background I wanted to load in a subdirectory off /user/share/backgrounds - the default for this version - the same thing happens. It only works if the images are in that directory.

On a more positive note; I've been working on creating some extra icons for the 2.15ce desktop. I've created an almost reasonable one for gaim from an existing coloured icon - but I can't seem to find a way to convert an existing image with a solid white background to transparent. There seems to be no help file with mtPaint. So I need a brief tutorial please :)

The number of icons available, beautiful as they are, need augmenting.

I've also modified the Sun Java Desktop System v2 background called raindrop shown here on 2.15ce (1280x1024)...

to this darker shade here, which I may not have juggled the controls quite right, but which suits 2.15ce better...

And if anyone would like either, you can find them here and here.

And there are a couple of gorgeous yellow roses I've created here and here. They are 1600x1200, gamma stretched and brightness/contrast juggled to look good in the 2.15 theme.

Concluding, I rather like this VNC screencap of wedgetail (computername) running Win2000 at 1152x864 on goldeneagle (computername) running puppy2.15ce at 1280x1024.

I'd like to be able to make a "skeleton" icon of the VNC insignia for the desktop, but the ones I have are all opaque white backgrounds :(

Richard in Adelaide.

Edited Wed 11th April
Have resolved some of these issues now, with Warren's post http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=17065 and his release of patches, along with the updated ISO (and new md5) that came out after the weekend.

Looking at a better way to switch between JWM and IceWM but I'm not a coder and would appreciate someone showing me how to create a dialogue box with a couple of buttons pretty please :)

The icons that disappear from the taskbar near the clock can be restored by issuing the command while X is shut down xwin starticewm rather than xwin icewm.

That was my misunderstanding, sorry guys.

Thanks also for the link to the mtPaint help file :)

end edit
Last edited by richard.a on Tue 10 Apr 2007, 20:11, edited 2 times in total.
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

mbutts
Location: sitn on an iceburg waiting for my next meal to swim by.

#37 Post by mbutts »

hi guys,
cant wait to finish my dialup download. for the people using windows boxes to download and especially those with slow connections try utorrent (microtorrent) for torrents like sit heel speak recommended, or u can use "free download manager" for iso's or any other type of file like exe. both are free. i have never had a problem with spyware or virus's when using them. (as long as what ur downloading doesnt have something embedded into it.)
both offer suspend and continue downloading so if u get knocked off line or have to do something else u can resume later...... ill try to leave my machine on when in windows mode with the torrent so i can be used for seeding puppy.
looks great on the screen shots......
Penguin, the OTHER white meat.
[url=http://www.puppyos.com][img]http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/5563/yxudnslbsx1jpglx3.png[/img][/url][img]http://i18.tinypic.com/2wd7o80.gif[/img]

WhoDo

#38 Post by WhoDo »

richard.a wrote:Indeed I thought I remembered him saying several times that when he rebuilt it with changes in, they were over-written by older stuff.
Yep. See following thread for updates and patches to fix most of this stuff.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=17065

Again, the remaster process stripped out things I wasn't expecting. *sigh* Nothing HUGE, mind you, but big enough to put a damper on my satisfaction with the new release.
richard.a wrote:There is something else odd too. The taskbar icons to the left of the clock have vanished, and I also can't find the button you click on to make them appear. I've compared every config file I can find associated with icewm in both the rc4 and the release, and can find no suggestion of anything that is different. I'm really puzzled.
Those are from MU's rox traybuttons applet. They are started inside the WM startup file that is edited from the Quick Launch menu on the task bar. The application lives in /usr/local/MU-rox-traybuttons and should start automatically with the Icewm window manager.
richard.a wrote:Am I the only one who has found these things? If so it HAS to be my bad download - two in fact, from two different servers, because both were burned and the same problems show whichever CD is run.
No, richard. It's not you or your download. It's the blankety remaster process that decides what parts under /root are in or out without letting you know! I've gotten used to watching carefully that it puts most things in, but the couple you mention slipped by me again this time. *sigh*
richard.a wrote:There is also a problem with my attempting to load any background not in the background directory; when locating it and clicking okay in the dialogue, the utility changes directory to /usr/local/Puppybackground/resource
This one is new to me. I'll look into it, but it may be beyond my ability to solve if it also existed in 2.14.
richard.a wrote:So I need a brief tutorial please :)

The number of icons available, beautiful as they are, need augmenting.
The ice icons are available from MU's PSI repository. They are also available from http://www.kde-look.org as a complete set called, oddly enough, Ice icons. :P Why reinvent the wheel when these are GPL?
richard.a wrote:I've also modified the Sun Java Desktop System v2 background called raindrop shown here on 2.15ce (1280x1024)...
Now THAT I like! :wink:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

MU

#39 Post by MU »

no, also tried azureus now.
It seems to be a network problem with the ports.
Not so important, I just thought I might seed a bit here from my friends home.
Mark

Sit Heel Speak

#40 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

richard.a wrote:So, can someone please download the iso I'm mirroring and try it for themselves?
Heh. It's your lucky day. It so happens that, yesterday morning, I started to download (in Puppy 2.13 Firefox) the .iso you are mirroring, after discovering that every other mirror was busy. The .iso started to come over at only 1.7kbps to 3.4kbps, so I walked over to the Win98SE machine and commenced to start downloading from the torrent. And forgot that I had started the download from your mirror.

Here it is, 24 hours later, and son-of-a-gun, the sloooowww download from your mirror has completed. It must have taken 16 hours or more. And yet your server did not disconnect me. I'd like to shake your webmaster's hand, and learn his secret to load-balancing. He's got that machine (or cluster) really, really well-tweaked.

Anyway, you will be pleased to know, both your .iso and the one from the torrent md5sum out to

768143404cceec2e0de87483a434ad52

and they both fc (file compare) as identical under Win98SE as well.

HTH
SHS