Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 16 Oct 2019, 04:03
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
What PCI wireless network adapter to buy?
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
Bruce B

PostPosted: Fri 30 Mar 2007, 21:36    Post subject:  What PCI wireless network adapter to buy?  

I want to setup a Puppy wireless computer. The computer is white box and has available pci slots and I'd prefer a pci adapter over usb.

My question is: What is the best Linux (Puppy) supported adapter to buy?

I perused the hardware section but could not make that determination. I'm thinking, if I get good recommendation(s), I'll report the success / frustrations in the hardware > wireless after I've set it up.
nonewmsgs

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar 2007, 09:16    Post subject:  

i have had the best success with netgear and their atheros chipsets. you goto the pci_atheros driver and you see the network. no craziness it just works.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar 2007, 10:48    Post subject:  

For what it's worth, the Netgear WG311 PCI card has worked perfectly for me. All recent versions of Puppy recognized it and loaded the correct driver without me having to do anything. I'm particularly impressed by the fact that it maintains a fast and reliable connection even when Rutilt shows the "Link quality" to be less than 10%.

My card has the Atheros AR5212 chipset. I believe some WG311s have a different chipset.

Bruce B

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar 2007, 19:03    Post subject:  

Flash wrote:
For what it's worth, the Netgear WG311 PCI card has worked perfectly for me. All recent versions of Puppy recognized it and loaded the correct driver without me having to do anything. I'm particularly impressed by the fact that it maintains a fast and reliable connection even when Rutilt shows the "Link quality" to be less than 10%.

My card has the Atheros AR5212 chipset. I believe some WG311s have a different chipset.

That's incredible! I'd not have guessed Netgear. The chipset is probably very important, I'll look and see if it's listed on the box, when I go to the store.

Thanks.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr 2007, 22:56    Post subject:  

Just in case, ask if they'll give your money back if it doesn't work for you. Laughing
Bruce B

PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr 2007, 02:21    Post subject:  

Thanks Flash. If it doesn't work, I'll just tell them. "I want my money back because it doesn't work."

Count on me to NOT tell them, "I want my money back, because it doesn't work on my scaled down, lightweight, hotrod version of Linux."
jflan

PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr 2007, 18:58    Post subject:  

D-Link DWL-G510 Revision B works beautifully under Puppy 2.14

Atheros chipset...must be revision B...it will say which revision on the outside of the box near the UPC

Consider using a directional external antenna unless you are very close to the gateway. They can make all the difference.
Aitch

PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr 2007, 23:20    Post subject:  

BruceB
Find a store with a resident engineer. Here in uk we have PCWorld stores
Their engineers get asked this all the time and have to sort customers PCs when they don't go
I got an ASUS PCI card that uses rt2500 (railink) drivers, because the engineer assured me it was well supported AND coped with WEP & WPA encryption, which some cards don't
I was also told that manufacturers don't always use the same chipset in the same numbered card. Netgear was one such example. Atheros another.
Linux & wifi aren't yet a happy marriage but it's improving.
New PCs have wifi onboard in a lot of cases, especially laptops
Puppy is definitely streets ahead in ease of setup, even though I had to get help from here.
I would also urge caution with usb 'dongles' many linuxes (can't say puppy) need to sort out usb configuration before starting wifi/network configuration.
I have one and gave up after 8/9 different distros failed, unless I plugged the dongle in AFTER firing up the distro, even though its ATMEL chipset is supported. something to do with UHCP, I think, but never got to the bottom of it
Bottom line. Ask the vendor for sale or return, on their sayso that it'll work
Good luck
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Jump to: