Alsa sound card problems in RC3

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
tronkel

Alsa sound card problems in RC3

#1 Post by tronkel »

Seem to be having problems with Alsa in RC3. RC1 was OK in this respect.

Alsa detects the legacy ess1869 card OK but will not output sound even when mic is turned on. Output from card seems to be muted. The normal Alsa 'woof' test fiie does not play as normal at the end of setup routine, even though I can hear my own voice through speakers. Skype therefore will not play back the test message.

Anything missing from Alsa? -library maybe?
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

tempestuous

#2 Post by tempestuous »

It might just be a case of the master channel being muted.
Run "alsamixer" from rxvt, and see if there is an "m" listed on one of the channels.
RC3 has updated ALSA library, which may have caused this. This may be an annoying characteristic, but if you read the documentation at the ALSA website http://www.alsa-project.org
you will see that it's the default behaviour of the ALSA system.

Rudy

Same Issue

#3 Post by Rudy »

Hi there,

I experience the same issue.
With RC1, everything was fine.
Between RC1 and RC2, something must have happened to ALSA. And the issue is still valid in RC3.

Description:
- I have a Yamaha DS-1 sound chip onboard. Usually, Puppy Linux would recognise it on the fly, that changed since 2.14 I think. In RC1+ , the live CD will tell me, that it can not find a driver in the database. After HD-install, ALSA wizard detects the card correctly - and loads ymfpci or ymf794... In RC1 the test ends with "woof-woof", in RC2+3, the wizard detects the card, lets me select it, and ends abruptly without an error and without the expected "woof-woof". You get the feeling that something is wrong... but what ?

I tried:
- looked up PMixer and ran Alsamixer in console: everything is just fine, only 3d seems to be muted - unmute won't help...
- I checked the logfiles after a reboot: no loading of kernel module "ymf...", no loading of sound related stuff at all...
- I looked for the module and found it deep in /lib..
- "modprobe ymf.." would end with : "cannot find file"..but is was there, right in front of my eyes.

OK, I admit, I am not an expert. This is as far as I got. I appreciate help, if somebody reads this...

Thanks,
Rudy

keilor

#4 Post by keilor »

My card is still playing sound OK but the ALSA wizard finishes after preparing the sound card. It no longer asks if you want to play the sample 'woof' sound.