2.14: no burning program recognizes USB CD burner?

Booting, installing, newbie
jhsu

#21 Post by jhsu »

But I did answer your questions. The last time I rebooted, cdrecord -scanbus showed no CD burner the first time, then showed the CD burner a moment later, as if it takes a minute or two for the CD burner to be recognized by rxvt.

I haven't changed the rc.local file yet. I'll do that next. Other than that, I'm not sure what else I need to do at this point.

Bruce B

#22 Post by Bruce B »

The confusion about not answering is because we posted at the same time.

From the feedback I get running cdrecord -scanbus 2x gets your burner recognized on the scsibus.

We don't have much statistic on this (yet).

Now to clarify something: Rxvt doesn't recognize the cd recorder, we are only using it to run cdrecord to diagnose things.

If cdrecord recognizes your burner you're in business. Why? Because cdrecord is the program which burns your cds.

This is why we need to see what cdrecord sees. Does this make sense?

If not open the file /usr/sbin/burniso2cd, which is the program you are using. Read the contents and you will see it is an elaborate script which ends up recording your .iso file to the burner using cdrecord

I don't want you going through eternal hassles, but we are still troubleshooting at this point.

If it is true that all that needs be done is run cdrecord -scanbus a couple times before it is recognized, you could edit /usr/sbin/burniso2cd and insert cdrecord -scanbus 2x at the top of the file before the script starts doing things.

Note the script only runs cdrecord -scanbus 1x and makes its decisions based on that. This could account for the erratic behavior you are experience.

Also, we aren't done until we are done. And we aren't done yet.

Let's postulate that cdrecord -scanbus needs to be run 1x or 2x before it is finds the burner. Okay?

On this postulate please add those to lines near the top of /usr/sbin/burniso2cd. If this theory is true, the problem is solved.

jhsu

#23 Post by jhsu »

I just booted up Puppy Linux again, and I'm getting strange things:
1. MUT recognizes the CD burner as sr0::<blank>. I can confirm this because hitting the Eject/Close button causes the CD burner to respond.
2. Puppy drive mounter recognizes the CD burner as /dev/scd0, HP CD-Writer+ 8290. The icon is red, and pressing it leads to an error box with the message "FAILURE! In the case of removable media, the most common reason is the media is not currently inserted. Or, you forgot to unmount the previously inserted media. If so, please remedy." To the left of the icon, the directory is shown to be /dev/scd0.

The result of cdrecord -scanbus in rxvt is:
sh-3.00# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord-ProDVD-Clone 2.01.01a10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2006 Jörg Schilling
cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.18.1
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.34
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
scsibus0:
0,0,0 0) 'HP ' 'CD-Writer+ 8290 ' '1.3C' Removable CD-ROM
0,1,0 1) *
0,2,0 2) *
0,3,0 3) *
0,4,0 4) *
0,5,0 5) *
0,6,0 6) *
0,7,0 7) *
sh-3.00#

I'm willing to bet that the sr0/scd0 confusion is behind my problems here. I have no idea where it originated or how to fix it, but I hope this is the critical information that unveils things.

Bruce B

#24 Post by Bruce B »

This is valuable to me because I now know how it is seen as a device as well on the scsibus

> Puppy drive mounter recognizes the CD burner as /dev/scd0, HP CD-Writer+ 8290

-----
Your burner is a multi-function device (1) a reader (2) a burner, and various utilities will treat it differently.

You can't mount a reader with a blank disc, no disc or music disc.

You can mount a data disc.

Does this help?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#25 Post by BarryK »

I just booted up Puppy Linux again, and I'm getting strange things:
1. MUT recognizes the CD burner as sr0::<blank>. I can confirm this because hitting the Eject/Close button causes the CD burner to respond.
2. Puppy drive mounter recognizes the CD burner as /dev/scd0, HP CD-Writer+ 8290.
Note that /dev/sr0 and /dev/scd0 are the same thing. 'sr0' is an older name for the same devce and that name is no longer used in modern Linuxes. MUT needs to be updated. 'sr0' will still work however.

Scoticus

2.14: no burning program recognizes USB CD burner?

#26 Post by Scoticus »

Like jhsu I have been trying to work with both Grafburn and Tk DVD and have had no luck in making them work.

Specifically I have been attempting to blank the DVD-RW and DVD+RW disks that I have been experimenting with in order to reuse them for the latest offerings.

When I attempt to blank with Grafburn I am told that the disk has been blanked. With TkDVD it informs me as follows:

* DVD±RW/-RAM format utility by <appro@fy.chalmers.se>, version 4.10.
* 4.7GB DVD+RW media detected.
- media is already formatted, lead-out is currently at
4590208 KiB which is 100.0% of total capacity.
- you have the option to re-run dvd+rw-format with:
-lead-out to elicit lead-out relocation for better
DVD-ROM compatibility, data is not affected;
-force to enforce new format (not recommended)
and wipe the data.
Writing finished

In each instance when I check the disk with MUT everything that was there originally is still there.

Can anyone advise how either system works because it will not for me.

Hoping that someone can resolve this matter

Ian
[b]Puppy 4.0[/b]; AMD Athlon X2 4400 Processor; 2048MB DDR2 Memory; 320GB HD; nVidia 6100 Graphics; 16x Dual Layer DVD burner; Philips 190X5 monitor,Epson Stylus Photo R265 printer. Logitech LX 710 cordless keyb & mouse

jhsu

#27 Post by jhsu »

Is my CD burner itself the problem? I've heard that certain brands tend to be inferior for Linux operation because they're designed for Windows. Could this be the case for me? How do I tell? (Well, I suppose that if I try 10 distributions and none of them are 100% functional with my CD burner, that would say something.)

Bruce B

#28 Post by Bruce B »

Is my CD burner itself the problem? I've heard that certain brands tend to be inferior for Linux operation because they're designed for Windows.
I don't think so.
(Well, I suppose that if I try 10 distributions and none of them are 100% functional with my CD burner, that would say something.)
It's more than obvious that Puppy's defaults are neither seamless or consistent with your burner. If defaults don't work, you gotta tweak or configure.

I've seen some major distros with awesome hardware support, even to the extent of being seamless with hardware I'd have thought it wouldn't recognize.