A couple of package managment issues or concerns

Using applications, configuring, problems
Ian Christie

A couple of package managment issues or concerns

#1 Post by Ian Christie »

I've been using puppy for a short time now and I think it's great, but have come across a few package managment issues.

1) Some packages don't setup menu items (package manager even says there is no menu entry) Beaver, Bluefish and GTKSamba are 3 of them. Why don't the packages have menu entry info in them like others?

2) Some packages have dependancies that are not available through the managment system. The gimp is an example, it is missing librsvg.

3) Some apps don't start from their icons in the menu. The Gimp again is bad for this. Probably just a simple error in the .desktop file

4) Installing "Alien Packages" .pups etc causes the package manager to lose the listing of installed packages. I installed Librsvg from a .pup and then the listing of installed apps in the package manager went blank (had a few apps installed.)

And finally one last issue, just a minor annoyance with the managment program itself, everytime you install packages with it, the program closes before downloading and installing the packages. It would be nice if the listing would stay open.