ativa USB wireless adapter

dogeatery

ativa USB wireless adapter

#1 Post by dogeatery »

Just installed Puppylinux on a whim, really like it so far, it's definitely designed to be simple. I'm running it from a live cd.

My problem is that I have an Ativa wireless adapter connected through USB. Puppy doesn't recognize it. Is there a way to make it work? Can I use a windows driver? Will it be possible to load a windows driver from the CPU's harddrive?

Please bear in mind I am new to linux in general...

dogeatery

#2 Post by dogeatery »

really nobody can help me with this???

I tried using the actual windows drivers on the CD just like puppy gives me the option to do but ndiswrapper fails ever time...

is it just a matter of getting USB device recognized? when I go into /dev it shows a USB mouse but nothing else. It also shows some things called radio, radio0, and radio1. Would these have anything to do with wireless? I'm tryin' here...

dogeatery

#3 Post by dogeatery »

ok after looking all over hte place I have found some helpful information. I do have to make puppy recognize the USB and also get specific drivers for the D-Link DWL122

my problem is that these posts and tutorials are written for people who know what they're doing, ie., not me. Can anyone help me make sense of these instructions and exactly what order I need to do things in? I need it explained to me like I'm 4 years old.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 6084#96084
http://www.shaftek.org/blog/archives/000246.html

dogeatery

#4 Post by dogeatery »

Do you see why I need help? I'm so dumb that I forgot to mention that I switched out the Ativa for a D-Link DWL122... :lol:

tempestuous

#5 Post by tempestuous »

Your D-Link DWL122 contains the Prism2.5 chipset, which in USB guise is only supported by the linux-wlan-ng driver.
Unfortunately this driver is incompatible with iwconfig, and is therefore incompatible with Puppy's Network Wizard.
So it must be set up manually. Download and install this dotpet -
http://puppyfiles.org/dotpupsde/dotpups ... -setup.pet

A README will launch which explains how to modify the setup script /root/my-applications/bin/linux-wlan-connect.sh
Once modified to contain your specific wifi connection details, then run this script from rxvt.

jonyo

#6 Post by jonyo »

Are we talking dwl-G122 here? If so, there is at least one other variant (& may be more..forget).

Mine is ver b1 (i think..i'd hafta check) & has worked A-1 on 2.12-3 & 4 live cd using the winx .inf Netrtusb driver loaded via pup netwizard using ndiswrapper on (~7) every computer (lap & desk) I've tried it on. :D

It's rt2500 based something, but I didn't pursue that. Stuck with what worked & I could figure out. :D
Last edited by jonyo on Sun 01 Apr 2007, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.

dogeatery

#7 Post by dogeatery »

ok, thanks for your replies. I tried installing your prism2-usb-setup.pet and when I ran it I got an error message telling me that prism2 was already installed. I clicked 'install package' anyway and then it gave me a big pink error window:

'There was an error expanding package Prism2-USB-setup.pet.tar.gz Either hte file is corrupted, or has not expended into its own directory with name of Prism2-USB-setup.pet/ (which is how most packages expand). You will have to go into /root/.packages/ directory and manually clean it up.'

???

I should also mention that I have linux-wlan-ng.0.2.7

jonyo

#8 Post by jonyo »

What variant dwl (& I'm assuming) 'g'122 do you have? Should say A, B..or something on it if its not rubbed out. Do you have the win drivers that came with the usb? What are those drivers?

dogeatery

#9 Post by dogeatery »

The device is variant A1. And I DO have the drivers with the original disk, which contains drivers for Windows XP and separate drivers for all others (9.x). I tried using these with the wizard but it gives me a 'ndiswrapper fails' message.

Oh yeah, and it only lets me enter files that end in .inf even though the wizard says before that they could also end in some other extensions (which are located in the driver file on the CD)

At the moment I'm at work and don't have the disk in front of me (should have brought it with me!) so I can't tell you the exact names of the files offhand...

dogeatery

#10 Post by dogeatery »

the drivers on hte DLink CD are NETPRISM.inf prismnic.car and PRISMUSB.sys

dogeatery

#11 Post by dogeatery »

ok I managed to get the prism2-usb thing to load and install, it even shows up in the wizard as a loaded driver.

Followed the directions and modified the script. Then ran modprobe and got no error message which I assume means it ran correctly... but it says if the USB device isn't noticed automatically, which it wasn't, that I should run linux-wlan-connect.sh and it will find it. When I ran the modified script it igave me this message:

message=lnxreq_ifstate
ifstate=enable
resultcode=implementation_failure
wlanctl-ng: No such device

the 'no such device' thing repeats a total of six times

decided to modify the script again... for SSID I left it blank and tried running script again and it sort of worked; the wizard now shows wlan alongside eth0 but when I try to get a connection going it won't connect and I still don't have the connection icon in my system tray...

jonyo

#12 Post by jonyo »

I can't help any further with the A1 variant; I've not tried it.
B1 version though has worked, as mentioned above on everything I've tried, all straightforward & lickety split. I see them on e-bay for~ 20 bucks.

tempestuous

#13 Post by tempestuous »

First let's clarify model numbers / chipsets / drivers

DWL-122 = Prism2.5 chipset = linux-wlan-ng driver
DWL-G122 A1 & A2 = PrismGT chipset = EXPERIMENTAL driver!
DWL-G122 B1 = Ralink RT2500USB = rt2570 driver
DWL-G122 C1 = Ralink RT73 chipset = rt73 driver

jonyo is referring the later models with "G" in the model number.

If you have a DWL-122 (as I do) then the linux-wlan-ng driver definitely works. I'm using it right now.
Don't have the device plugged in as you boot your computer. You must plug it in AFTER Puppy has fully booted.
The green LED light should flash a few times. If it doesn't, pull it out of the USB connection and plug it in a second time.

And your WEP key must include a colon after every 2 digits.

jonyo

#14 Post by jonyo »

I think the A1 variant is a 'G' 122. I don't know what you mean by the wiz sez driver files other than .inf ones can be used. I've only been able to load .inf files with ndiswrapper.
dogeatery wrote:The device is variant A1. And I DO have the drivers with the original disk, which contains drivers for Windows XP and separate drivers for all others (9.x). I tried using these with the wizard but it gives me a 'ndiswrapper fails' message.

Oh yeah, and it only lets me enter files that end in .inf even though the wizard says before that they could also end in some other extensions (which are located in the driver file on the CD)
Last edited by jonyo on Sun 01 Apr 2007, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.

jonyo

#15 Post by jonyo »

Outa curiosity, what is this about & how did you know?
& what are the colons about?
tempestuous wrote: Don't have the device plugged in as you boot your computer. You must plug it in AFTER Puppy has fully booted.
The green LED light should flash a few times. If it doesn't, pull it out of the USB connection and plug it in a second time.

And your WEP key must include a colon after every 2 digits.
DWL G122 ver B1 uses no colons for Wep settings nor are there pluggin boot scenarios.

Noticed nobody is mentioning what pup versions here. I'm only familiar with live cd ver 2.12-3&4.

jonyo

#16 Post by jonyo »

Wlan showing up is good news. Try running Rutilt to get a wifi connection. What pup ver u usin?

menu>network>rutilt

Why did you leave the ssid blank? Not sure what you mean by you're runnin script?
dogeatery wrote: decided to modify the script again... for SSID I left it blank and tried running script again and it sort of worked; the wizard now shows wlan alongside eth0 but when I try to get a connection going it won't connect and I still don't have the connection icon in my system tray...

Nathan F

#17 Post by Nathan F »

Sorry I didn't see the thread earlier. I also have an Ativa wireless usb adaptor, and I do have it working just fine in Puppy. You have to use the Windows driver with Ndiswrapper as far as I know, anyway it's been working great for me that way. Basically you want to open the network wizard and choose "load driver", then navigate to where you have the driver at. The file you are looking for will be something like "ODWGU.INF". Even if the name is different you still want an inf file. The wizard should walk you through the rest. Once the ndiswrapper module is loaded it should show up as wlan0, or perhaps wlan1 if you have another wireless nic. Configuration will then be the same as for any other wireless card.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...