xnapster.pup: peer-to-peer/file sharing program

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
klhrevolutionist

xnapster.pup: peer-to-peer/file sharing program

#1 Post by klhrevolutionist »

Okay, this puts a file or executable in /root/my-applications/bin/
drag'n'drop this to the desktop if you like.
However, do not attempt to move the folder XNap from /root/my-applications/
Also, you can use the defaults when setting up. Unless your experienced
then stick with the defaults!!!
THIS REQUIRES JAVA!!!!!!!

If you are not familiar with P2P, file-sharing in general, you should google
around for it and see what the latest word is about it.
And for the not so faint hearted, this seems to be a little more
better than giftui, maybe! I like it, it took about 30sec. to download a song.
but you will have your own results, there is a neat chat attached
and other notably good features. Why another file-sharing app???
Sometimes the file you are after maybe hard to get, so now we have another place to look!!!

You can get it here:
http://noforum.de/dotpups/klhr/1558XNap.pup

!!!It now works properly, I made an error the first time, it now works sorry!!!
It does'nt hang or freeze like a lot of java applications do
Last edited by klhrevolutionist on Thu 20 Oct 2005, 03:27, edited 3 times in total.
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

mike

#2 Post by mike »

Though I haven't tried this one yet, I have to say good work. The more p2p, the better. I have a kind of general question about Java though.

I've noticed that , at least on my computer, Java apps always run rather slowly, and are not very responsive. I have 128MB of ram, and it's kind of annoying! Would you say that it's a memory issue, or just a fact of life? Does java respond differrently if you have an abunbance of RAM? Just curious, cuz if not, I for one am giong to steer clear of it....

I was looking at a bittorrent program called XBT - it is (according to Sourcefourge) available for linux, but only winblows versions are listed. Which is a drag, because having used it in Windows, I can honestly say that it's the most solid, small, reliable bittorrent program I've found. I would say that about Ctorrent, as I like it too, and it's even smaller, but I've had an awfull lot of rejections from trackers based on the client that I'm using.

Anyways, I must stop babbling, just wanted to say thanks for this klhrev, I'm looking forward to giving it a shot.

klhrevolutionist

bump

#3 Post by klhrevolutionist »

I bumped this up to let all who downloaded it know that it works and I fixed it.
Sorry about the trouble the link is in my post above.
It actually was a small mistake but if you download this one it will work sorry!!!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

mike wrote: I've noticed that , at least on my computer, Java apps always run rather slowly, and are not very responsive. I have 128MB of ram, and it's kind of annoying! Would you say that it's a memory issue, or just a fact of life? Does java respond differrently if you have an abunbance of RAM? Just curious, cuz if not, I for one am giong to steer clear of it....
In a sense, in order to run on any computer, java runs on an "emulator" called a VM or virtual machine. This allows java to run ony computer that has such a virtual machine.

Java can also run programs "from and on the net" You may therefore be downloading components (classes) before the program can run.

So java can be slow. HOWEVER by using Java (a dotpup) and Flash (built into Puppy with Mozilla) we can avail ourselves of many extra programs. For java the one that comes to mind is Azareus. Open Office is making increasing use of Java (Sun have interests in both).

Personally I like java BUT I can understand the speed issue.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

mike

#5 Post by mike »

Azureus is surprisingly responsive on Puppy - more so than on other Linux's I've tried. However, it's still a pig.

Hey, if java is usefull, than I'm not knocking it. It's just that I've seen examples of programs written entirely in C (like XBT) that have the same functionality yet weigh in at 1 tenth or less the size.

Interesting, thanks.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

C has to be compiled and tweaked and adapted for each OS

"C is described as all the complexity of assembler with none of the speed"
- a litte unfairly :)

Java when working on one OS VM will work on all of them. It allows for quicker implementation across platforms and for a C programmer is an easy language to pick up - being similar. Puppy in its current form will never adopt java as an official language - because java is too slow and cumbersome.

C is swift, lean and slick - but a professional and skilled language to get the best from.

We have the choice. A java program will be very similar on different platforms. C programs tend to be very different across platforms.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

klhrevolutionist

well

#7 Post by klhrevolutionist »

Well, just to let all who download xnapster, it responds very fast for a java application.
in fact it does'nt freeze or hang like other java applications do.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#8 Post by Lobster »

I have created the link on the wiki news page as you requested

- double click on the page to see how it was done (so simple) and refer to the PM (private message) for details - a link is just [[URL_first text on screen next]]

for example yours looks like so

Code: Select all

[[http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?p=10450#10450 Xnapster dotpup fixed]]
and the link is created by right clicking on the tiny box top right of a message you wish to link to in the wiki
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)