Puppy 2.15CE RC2 Standard Edition Plus

News, happenings
Ted Dog

promise to mirror

#21 Post by Ted Dog »

Jactek I am sorry you machine is too powerful to run puppy, try vista :wink:

I've haven't been involved with CE due to little RAM (240M) to run it, I'll find those files and put them on puptrix.

WhoDo

#22 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:To get the menus working, just open a terminal and run fixmenus then restart the windowmanager. Presto, you should have menu entries.
Yep. Did that (several times) and still no menu entries. I checked (and rechecked) Nathan's updated XDG directory and menu files, too. No joy. Maybe it's just me, but from the posts above I don't really think so. Has something fundamental changed in the way XDG menus are dynamically created?
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Scoticus

Puppy 2.15CE RC2 Standard Edition Plus

#23 Post by Scoticus »

If a superstar like WhoDo cant get things to work, what chance have I ?

Everything looks brilliant on paper but how do I get it onto my system. ?

I am having great fun experimenting at finding what I can do and what suits me but to have what looks so near to my ideal setup only to find that is is so far away is so frustrating.

I was hopefull that I could put this on a Flash Drive aand progress from there but so far I am stuck.

Your guidance will be most helpfull

Ian

ralphv

A Few Bugs

#24 Post by ralphv »

I found a few problems. When I switch to jwm, the menu has no option to switch back to icewm, I have to type restartwm icewm in a command window. Also, in jwm, Gaim is not in the menu, so it has to be typed in from the command line.

I tried to rip an audio cd, it said I have to belong to the cdrom group or otherwise get permission.

Ralph

WhoDo

Re: Puppy 2.15CE RC2 Standard Edition Plus

#25 Post by WhoDo »

Scoticus wrote:I liked the look of what was on offer but find that when I burn the ISO to disk I end up with error message when closing / rebooting. I am using multisession disk as it lets me experiment with what I am looking for.
Ok, we need to know a bit more about the error message. What did it actually say? Did you check the md5sum for the ISO after downloading?

Are you using CD-RW? There are known issues with CD-RW multi-session. CD-R multi-session is fine ... I know because I always burn a test copy that way before uploading.

Don't worry about Dave's queries just yet. Let's get it booting right for you first, ok?

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

Jactek

#26 Post by Jactek »

Got it 6th or 7th time must be the charm !!!!
Looks good

Thanks

Jim
[url=http://www.puppyos.com][img]http://i17.tinypic.com/346vnyc.jpg[/img][/url]

WhoDo

#27 Post by WhoDo »

Scoticus wrote:If a superstar like WhoDo cant get things to work, what chance have I ?
I ain't not no superstar! :lol: Everything is "working" ok, but the menu system isn't updating so the applications are easy to use. We'll work that out before Final, no worries.
Scoticus wrote: Everything looks brilliant on paper but how do I get it onto my system. ?
The best way, if you want to start with a full setup, is to download the iso and sfs files, then use Isomaster to add the sfs files to the iso. Then burn the iso to CD-R. Everything should then be available on the CD for next boot. 8)
Scoticus wrote: I am having great fun experimenting at finding what I can do and what suits me but to have what looks so near to my ideal setup only to find that is is so far away is so frustrating.
That's very much the point with Puppy - the fun part, not the frustration. The fact it is also so complete, fast and usable is a bonus for the likes of us who are learning as we go. :wink:

Cheers

WhoDo

Re: A Few Bugs

#28 Post by WhoDo »

ralphv wrote:When I switch to jwm, the menu has no option to switch back to icewm, I have to type restartwm icewm in a command window. Also, in jwm, Gaim is not in the menu, so it has to be typed in from the command line.
Yep. That's a long-standing JWM issue. I'll have a look and see if I can organise a workaround using XDG menus.
ralphv wrote:I tried to rip an audio cd, it said I have to belong to the cdrom group or otherwise get permission.
:?: :?: :?: In Puppy you are root by default and root has access to absolutely everything? What program were you trying to use?

Cheers

WhoDo

#29 Post by WhoDo »

Jactek wrote:Got it 6th or 7th time must be the charm !!!!
Looks good
I think the problem is bandwidth. Lot's of puppies trying to download their new toy all at the same time. :P Although they are separate mirror sites, I believe at least two are using the same server; hence the bandwidth issues. We're looking at a generous offer to host for free on another server, so hopefully that situation should improve in time, and Barry has said he will host Final at ibiblio.org.

Cheers

Previously known as Guest

#30 Post by Previously known as Guest »

WhoDo wrote: I believe at least two are using the same server;

Cheers
Same host, but different servers.

WhoDo

#31 Post by WhoDo »

Previously known as Guest wrote:
WhoDo wrote: I believe at least two are using the same server;

Cheers
Same host, but different servers.
Ok. Must be just extremely high demand then. :P

Cheers

ralphv

Re: A Few Bugs

#32 Post by ralphv »

WhoDo wrote:
ralphv wrote:When I switch to jwm, the menu has no option to switch back to icewm, I have to type restartwm icewm in a command window. Also, in jwm, Gaim is not in the menu, so it has to be typed in from the command line.
Yep. That's a long-standing JWM issue. I'll have a look and see if I can organise a workaround using XDG menus.
ralphv wrote:I tried to rip an audio cd, it said I have to belong to the cdrom group or otherwise get permission.
:?: :?: :?: In Puppy you are root by default and root has access to absolutely everything? What program were you trying to use?

Cheers
ripperx
ralph

Previously known as Guest

#33 Post by Previously known as Guest »

WhoDo wrote: Ok. Must be just extremely high demand then. :P

Cheers
Yep, seems that peeps love their Puppy variants. Servage currently let me hit 110GB in one day which is astounding to think that much was downloaded in 24 hrs. (actually less than 24 hrs & tickets have been submitted on that issue.) :?: Still when MU's site & mine both go over the limit, which happens... that's 200+GB. :shock:

We both accept donations though. :D

willhunt

OffSite Puppy Mirror

#34 Post by willhunt »

I read some on the Bandwidth problems and thought this might help
I uploaded puppy-215CE-RC2-Standard and the extra sfs files to MiHD.net Just Click where it says request download link then click download link

puppy-215CE-RC2-Standard.iso
OOo_215.sfs
web_215.sfs
fltkc++_215.sfs

Maybe this will help in any case it's free 8)
Last edited by willhunt on Mon 26 Mar 2007, 09:26, edited 3 times in total.

Ted Dog

mirror at puptrix

#35 Post by Ted Dog »

http://puptrix.org//isos/ce

monthly bandwidth resets in two days, 2TB per month, different hosting center than others.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#36 Post by Flash »

Nathan wrote:
Scoticus wrote: Everything looks brilliant on paper but how do I get it onto my system. ?
The best way, if you want to start with a full setup, is to download the iso and sfs files, then use Isomaster to add the sfs files to the iso. Then burn the iso to CD-R. Everything should then be available on the CD for next boot. 8)
After several false starts I finally added the web.sfs and pgs.sfs files to the Puppy 215CE iso and burned a multisession DVD+RW with the super-sized (~250 MB) "Graphics" iso. The DVD boots, saves and reboots with the saved settings. I can see them when I mount the DVD, but I don't know if the extra sfs files are doing anything. .

I must say, SeaMonkey's download manager seems to be a waste of pixels. It must be either buggy or misconfigured somehow. The first time I tried to download the sfs files, the download manager reported "finished" even though, as it turned out, each file had only about 22 MB. I didn't realize the files were incomplete until I had wasted about an hour trying to make a new iso with them using ISOmaster. I guess it's a good thing ISOmaster would not work with incomplete files. (I know, I should have used wget, and checked the md5 sums. :lol: )

ISOmaster took a while to figure out but not too long. It would have been faster if the sfs files had been downloaded correctly. When ISOmaster wouldn't save the iso I had made with them, I started poking around and discovered the files were incomplete. I was careful not to do anything else with the computer while they downloaded the second time, and they both downloaded completely. Maybe SeaMonkey's download manager is somehow counting every packet received as going to the download, so if you're browsing the internet while you're downloading, the download manager comes to the wrong total. That's just a wild-ass guess.

I booted the new "Graphics" DVD+RW I burned, changed a few things, shut down saving to the DVD, and booted again. The saved settings were remembered, but I don't know how to tell if the sfs files are correctly "installed" and useable. How can I tell?
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

WhoDo

#37 Post by WhoDo »

Flash wrote:I booted the new "Graphics" DVD+RW I burned, changed a few things, shut down saving to the DVD, and booted again. The saved settings were remembered, but I don't know how to tell if the sfs files are correctly "installed" and useable. How can I tell?
Yep. If you included the pgs_215.sfs, then you should be able to type gimp in a console and have it run. That will show it is there and mounted. We're still trying to work out why the menu system updates on Pizzasgood's machine but not on mine, or yours evidently.

I'm presuming you don't have Gimp in your graphics menu ... you don't, do you? Go to a console and type fixmenus, then restart Icewm to see if the menu is updated with either an Office menu or the addition of graphics programs to the graphics menu.

You can test the web_215.sfs by typing firefox in a console, too.

Shortcuts for the programs in the sfs files are in /usr/local/bin and should be able to be dragged to the desktop and run from there until we get the menu's behaving nicely.

Hope that helps.

WhoDo

Re: http://mihd.net/dqbksf

#38 Post by WhoDo »

willhunt wrote:I uploaded puppy-215CE-RC2-Standard.iso to

here hope it saves some BW :lol:
Thanks, willhunt. Much appreciated.

WhoDo

Re: mirror at puptrix

#39 Post by WhoDo »

Ted Dog wrote:http://puptrix.org//isos/ce

monthly bandwidth resets in two days, 2TB per month, different hosting center than others.
Great, Ted Dog! That should help out with the downloads, big time! Much appreciated.

Cheers

Pizzasgood

#40 Post by Pizzasgood »

Good news, bad news, and ugly news regarding web_215.sfs (the current one is actually a beta/rc, just as the ISO is).

Good: I've already replaced NVU with KompoZer (no, not dependent on KDElephant, just a bug-fixed version of NVU)

Bad: Flash was still buggy. I fixed a big error I made, but it didn't change anything. If you try leaving a page while flash is running, Firefox locks up (open a terminal and use killall firefox; killall firefox-bin

Ugly: The Flash problem isn't my fault, as far as I can see. Something is different in 2.15, because it works fine in vanilla Pizzapup 3.0 and vanilla Puppy 2.14.

I'll try figuring out the difference tomorrow. Right now I need to put my bed back together so I can sleep.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]