Puppy 2.15CE RC2 Standard Edition Plus

News, happenings
WhoDo

#1 Post by WhoDo »

Just to let you guys know that a whole breed of Puppy has just arrived. Puppy 2.15CE Standard Edition RC2 now comes with some really interesting configuration options as follows:

Standard Edition RC2 + web_215.sfs + OOo_215.sfs = Office Edition

Standard Edition RC2 + web_215.sfs + pgs_215.sfs = Graphics Edition

Standard Edition RC2 + web_215.sfs + devx_215.sfs + fltkc++_215.sfs = Developer Edition

Standard Edition RC2 + all of the above (to a limit of 3 added sfs files) = Jumbo Edition

MU has mirrored the above files here:

http://puppyisos.org/isos/2007-01-to-06 ... .15CE-RC2/

PkaG will shortly post his mirror as well. RC2 is a bug fix update for RC1, so I strongly recommend moving to the newer version, especially if you were experiencing problems with running Xvesa.

Enjoy! :P
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Previously known as Guest

#2 Post by Previously known as Guest »

Hopefully everything mirrored:
http://pkagfiles.net/puppy215CE/RC2/

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

PhilCoo

#4 Post by PhilCoo »

I am using RC2 to type this but could not download the web_215.sfs, keeps coming up with "403 forbidden" error and the same on the mirror sites.Enjoying using this version,thanks to all concerned.

Phil

Previously known as Guest

#5 Post by Previously known as Guest »

PhilCoo wrote:I am using RC2 to type this but could not download the web_215.sfs, keeps coming up with "403 forbidden" error and the same on the mirror sites.Enjoying using this version,thanks to all concerned.

Phil
Permissions on web_215.sfs reset on pkagfiles.net, should download now, give feedback if not.

PhilCoo

#6 Post by PhilCoo »

Downloaded now through that link, thanks

Phil

bobn9lvu

Re: Puppy 2.15CE RC2 Standard Edition Plus

#7 Post by bobn9lvu »

WhoDo wrote:Just to let you guys know that a whole breed of Puppy has just arrived. Puppy 2.15CE Standard Edition RC2 now comes with some really interesting configuration options as follows:

Standard Edition RC2 + web_215.sfs + OOo_215.sfs = Office Edition

Standard Edition RC2 + web_215.sfs + pgs_215.sfs = Graphics Edition

Standard Edition RC2 + web_215.sfs + devx_215.sfs + fltkc++_215.sfs = Developer Edition

Standard Edition RC2 + all of the above (to a limit of 3 added sfs files) = Jumbo Edition

MU has mirrored the above files here:

http://puppyisos.org/isos/2007-01-to-06 ... .15CE-RC2/

PkaG will shortly post his mirror as well. RC2 is a bug fix update for RC1, so I strongly recommend moving to the newer version, especially if you were experiencing problems with running Xvesa.

Enjoy! :P
Sorry to be such a newbee :lol: , but could you point me to how one uses the above, as I was going to burn em all onto a cd.

I missed the threads describing how to add the extras.

I was thinking of the Puppy-2.15CE-RC2 + Office+Web+Pgs for a nice all purpose Puppy.

Is this doable?
You did say 3 addons..

Bob 8)

tronkel

#8 Post by tronkel »

Sorry to be such a newbee Laughing , but could you point me to how one uses the above, as I was going to burn em all onto a cd.
No probs, Puppy forum is the newbie-friendliest forum in the business Just ask! :)
Copy your sfs file to the same folder that your pup_save file is in - usually /mnt/home (or in other words the top-level folder of your hard disk).

Then reboot Puppy. All the files from the sfs file are then available in the normal way.

Hope this helps

Tronkel
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Sit Heel Speak

#9 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Before I needlessly consume 106MB of someone's bandwidth, I would like to know the exact identity of the Open Office which is being offered as OOo_215.sfs.

Is this identical to the Open Office in Puppy-215CE-Office-Alpha.iso?

...or is this the eagerly-awaited "slimmed-down Open Office 2.10" which a certain esteemed Puppyist from the great state of Texas "has been volunteered to do"?

...or is it something else?

WhoDo

#10 Post by WhoDo »

Sit Heel Speak wrote:Before I needlessly consume 106MB of someone's bandwidth, I would like to know the exact identity of the Open Office which is being offered as OOo_215.sfs.
The version currently online is 2.0.4 - the same as in Alpha. Nathan is currently out of town on business and won't be able to upload 2.1.0 until early next week.

A word of warning though. The version Nathan is compiling is still a FULL version. The saving in size was minimal for what was lost in the reduction, so we've kept the full copy. Of course Nathan will work his usual magic and make that as small as humanly possible.

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

Nathan F

#11 Post by Nathan F »

Not to toot my own horn, well maybe a bit, but I'm actually more excited about pgs_215.sfs, which contains more graphics software than even Grafpup does. It has a very extended version of Gimp, the newest Inkscape, newsest stable dia, two 3d modeling programs, two ray tracers, import from digital cameras (both gui and cli) and the latest ufraw for converting professionsal raw photos. PreviouslyKnownAsGuest also contributed to it, which was a big help and eased the workload a lot.

WhoDo hit the nail on the head about OpenOffice. Once I cut it down and compressed it I only managed to get it down to about 76MB, with only the Writer module left in and a few other features left out like the gallery. But also I have to clarify, I'm not compiling the source myself, I'm just repackaging the official binaries from openoffice.org and doing some simple configuration to make the experience better (like forcing it to use the gtk interface sothat fonts are legible).

BTW I'm back in town so I'll be getting back to work on things shortly.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Sit Heel Speak

#12 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Alles klar, thanks.

WhoDo

#13 Post by WhoDo »

Nathan F wrote:Not to toot my own horn, well maybe a bit, but I'm actually more excited about pgs_215.sfs, which contains more graphics software than even Grafpup does. It has a very extended version of Gimp, the newest Inkscape, newsest stable dia, two 3d modeling programs, two ray tracers, import from digital cameras (both gui and cli) and the latest ufraw for converting professionsal raw photos. PreviouslyKnownAsGuest also contributed to it, which was a big help and eased the workload a lot.
Nathan provided me with a software list for pgs_215.sfs which I meant to post along with the file. Here is the full list for those who are interested:

Code: Select all

ArtOfIllusion-241
blender-2.43
cairomm-0.6.0
crystalize (gimp plug-in)
dcraw-8.66
dia-0.95-1
gc-6.8
gimp-2.2.13
glibmm-2.8
gphoto2-2.3.1
greycstoration (gimp plug-in)
gtkam-0.1.41
gtkmm-2.8.1
inkscape-0.45
jp2 (gimp plug-in)
kompozer-0.77
libcroco-0.6.1
libgphoto2-2.3.1
librsvg-2.8.1
libsigc++-2.0.17
openexr-1.4.0
openjpeg-1.0
pandora-0.7.1 (gimp plug-in)
plasma2-2.11 (gimp plug-in)
povray-3.6.1
pygtk-2.8.6
python-2.4.4
save-for-web-2.2.0 (gimp plug-in)
scribus-1.3.3.8
separate-0.3 (gimp plug-in)
ufraw-0.11
yafray-0.0.9 
I must say that I'm extremely pleased with the support received from Nathan F, PkaG, Tronkel, Pizzasgood, Lobster and puppyfan12 throughout the entire project. Completion just would not have been possible without their invaluable help. Thanks guys. 8)

Puppy 2.15CE? I'm lovin' it! :D

davec51

Still in the dark about adding features

#14 Post by davec51 »

OK, I downloaded the iso's and extracted the sfs files, put them in the root of my hd, where my save file resides. Nothing happened.
I'm feeling helpless and hopeless. Could someone give me Dummy instructions?
Thanks.

WhoDo

Re: Still in the dark about adding features

#15 Post by WhoDo »

davec51 wrote:OK, I downloaded the iso's and extracted the sfs files, put them in the root of my hd, where my save file resides. Nothing happened.
Thanks.
Go to /usr/local/bin and drag swriter, scalc and simpress links to the desktop. All the other apps are linked from that directory too. The menu system isn't updating properly at the moment. I'll sort that out with Nathan and Pizzasgood before Final is released.

In the meantime, the office apps are there, the graphics apps are there and the web apps are there; you just need to know where to look. Typing the app name in a console works, too.

Hope that helps.

davec51

Re: Still in the dark about adding features

#16 Post by davec51 »

WhoDo wrote:
davec51 wrote:OK, I downloaded the iso's and extracted the sfs files, put them in the root of my hd, where my save file resides. Nothing happened.
Thanks.
Go to /usr/local/bin and drag swriter, scalc and simpress links to the desktop. All the other apps are linked from that directory too. The menu system isn't updating properly at the moment. I'll sort that out with Nathan and Pizzasgood before Final is released.

In the meantime, the office apps are there, the graphics apps are there and the web apps are there; you just need to know where to look. Typing the app name in a console works, too.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the dozenth time, WhoDo. Before it worked, I had to put the xxx.sfs.bin files into my hd root and (this is the tricky part) rename them to remove the .bin part. Then it's perfect. OO loads, by the way, faster than from Windows.
Once again, WhoDo, you do the voodoo that you do so well.

Scoticus

#17 Post by Scoticus »

I liked the look of what was on offer but find that when I burn the ISO to disk I end up with error message when closing / rebooting. I am using multisession disk as it lets me experiment with what I am looking for.

davec51 remarks about sfs files has me confused.

Can someone please advise me where I am going wrong

Many Thanks

Ian
[b]Puppy 4.0[/b]; AMD Athlon X2 4400 Processor; 2048MB DDR2 Memory; 320GB HD; nVidia 6100 Graphics; 16x Dual Layer DVD burner; Philips 190X5 monitor,Epson Stylus Photo R265 printer. Logitech LX 710 cordless keyb & mouse

Jactek

Puppy 2.15CE ISO

#18 Post by Jactek »

Im having a heck of a time downloading the RC2 ISO
yesterday I tryed to down load 4 times and it kept coming up short anywhere from 4419k to 111meg. I was using rc1 yesterday witha save file on the HD and I tryed with Teen Pup this morning running on CD multi session but no luck I have DSL , AMD AthalonXP 2200+ 512 meg ram 8 gig swap.

Jim

Pizzasgood

#19 Post by Pizzasgood »

To get the menus working, just open a terminal and run fixmenus then restart the windowmanager. Presto, you should have menu entries.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Sit Heel Speak

Re: Puppy 2.15CE ISO

#20 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Jactek wrote:Im having a heck of a time downloading the RC2 ISO
Keep trying. It took me four tries to get the entire pgs_215.sfs, at around 8.5Kbps. Three tries to get OOo_215.sfs, two tries to get the Puppy 2.15CE RC2 .iso itself.

These mysterious cutoffs are why a BitTorrent stream download is a better idea than simple mirrors. Although mirrors are better than nothing.