64-bit 'portable' Opera browser.....

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
davids45

libdconfsettings.so Opera "works" in ScPup64

#61 Post by davids45 »

G'day Mike (a.k.a. Gromit?),

I switched (by renaming) the libdconfsettings.so in this ScPup64's lib64/gio/modules/ directory with the one from a BionicPup64 ...
... and now Opera worked.

I then added this BionicPup lib file to Opera's lib directory and renamed both such files in ScPup64's /lib64/.. directory so they should both be ignored.
And now Opera did not run, giving the same error message about the file in /lib64/gio/modules/ in the Pup.

So I assume the file in Opera's lib directory was not used or looked for? But is OK inside the ScPup.

I'm now posting this from Opera in ScPup64 having replaced ScPup's libdconfsettings.so with the same named one from BionicPup64.

And awaiting any failings of the ScPup due to this switch?

David S.
(a.k.a. Wallace? - where's the Wensleydale?)

Mike Walsh

#62 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, all.

Now then; here's the new Opera-portable, v69.0.3686.36, based on Chromium 83. The only thing of note (?!) I've found is that they've added a wee weather widget to the SpeedDial/Start page.....

Same procedure as always. Download, unzip, place where you like; Click to open, click "LAUNCH" to fire it up.

For anybody who wants to keep their existing profile, the easiest way round this is to copy the PROFILE directory out to a safe, external location (/mnt/home?). Delete the old Opera-portable. "Install" your new Opera-portable, then sym-link your PROFILE directory back inside the opera directory before you launch..... This is essentially what I do myself.

(You'll notice a banner under the bookmarks bar, stating that you're running without a sandbox, and "security & stability will suffer". This is inherited from the Chromium 81 code-base, and is because we run these things with the "--no-sandbox" switch in Puppy when running as root. It doesn't make a scrap of difference to functionality or stability, mainly due (I would guess) to the way Puppy works, and can be safely deleted with the wee "X". It re-appears at every boot, unfortunately; the "--disable-infobars" switch we used to remove these with appears to be deprecated, and no longer does what it's supposed to...

We're kinda stuck with it, since these portables don't like running as spot. I haven't yet figured out the reason for this.)

----------------------------------------

Downloads - Opera-portable itself, & the MD5 checksum - can be found here:-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

WideVine is fully functional (NetFlix, Hulu, Spotify, etc), if you load the supplied Opera-extras.sfs before launching; this has been updated to include the most up-to-date versions of WideVine & libffmpeg.

Posting from it now. Enjoy!

Mike. :wink: