214 Italics gets you bold italics in Seamonkey

Using applications, configuring, problems
PaulBx1

214 Italics gets you bold italics in Seamonkey

#1 Post by PaulBx1 »

Here is something strange. When I use the italics tag in this forum, I get bold italics. I'm completely out of my element with fonts so maybe someone has an idea. This was not true in Puppy 211.

brad_chuck

hi

#2 Post by brad_chuck »

That is strange I am running 2.13 and I don't get bold on this forum.

Just does not show up. ( I use ff 2.0.01 )

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

screenshot: http://i12.tinypic.com/4d7cpvs.png

Puppy 214, Firefox 2.0.0.2

trapster

#4 Post by trapster »

Maybe not the same but it was covered here.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

PaulBx1

#5 Post by PaulBx1 »

Here's what mine looks like:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v63/Z ... junk33.png

Funny, on that other thread the problem was missing stuff like no bold. I get bold when I don't ask for it. :roll:

Guess I will have to dig around Seamonkey to fix it - if it annoys me enough!

<later>

Looks like DejaVu Sans takes care of my bolded italic problem. And bold still works.

Code: Select all

Now if I could just get non-proportional font displayed 
when someone uses the code tag...

richard.a

Re: 214 Italics gets you bold italics in Seamonkey

#6 Post by richard.a »

PaulBx1 wrote:Here is something strange. When I use the italics tag in this forum, I get bold italics. I'm completely out of my element with fonts so maybe someone has an idea. This was not true in Puppy 211.
That isn't bold here either, but I am using Windows/firefox 2

Richard
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

PaulBx1

#7 Post by PaulBx1 »

Now it seems like the font called "serif", whatever it is, does not display bold.

So my "san-serif" font in Seamonkey displays bold italics when the html tag call for italics, and my "serif" font displays normal text when the html tag calls for bold.

This is rather irritating. What happened to these fonts? It was in the last revision or two that this went awry.

I suppose I could change my serif font away from "serif", like I did with my san-serif one, but there sure ain't much of a choice.

richard.a

#8 Post by richard.a »

I don't know your answer but can explain the typeface style names
PaulBx1 wrote:Now it seems like the font called "serif", whatever it is, does not display bold.

So my "san-serif" font in Seamonkey displays bold italics when the html tag call for italics, and my "serif" font displays normal text when the html tag calls for bold.
Serifs are the horizontal lines across the ends of vertical components of the letter.

Hence a serif font is one that has serifs. For example, Times New Roman.

Sans-Serif means a typeface that has no serifs. For example Helvetica, aka Arial in Microsoft language. Helvetica was used in the MS operating systems up to and including Windows 3.0. It was renamed in Windows 3.1.

BTW Helvetica is pronounced "Hel-vee-sha" by many printers (people, not machines) :D

IMHO those names you gave would be for generic font styles built into the browser, but that is purely an educated guess :)

Richard in Adelaide
no, I wasn't ever a printer or a comp :)
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

PaulBx1

#9 Post by PaulBx1 »

Yes, in Seamonkey when you go to menu item edit>preferences>appearance>fonts, you get a list of fonts you want to use for things like the generic serif and san-serif fonts (as well as for others like "cursive" and "fantasy"). The default for those two are something called "serif" and "sans-serif"; who knows what actual fonts those are. I had to change my sans-serif selection to DejaVu Sans to get it to work, but there is no good serif font to change to, to make that work.