Issues with getting Zoom to run... (Solved)

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
Mike Walsh

Issues with getting Zoom to run... (Solved)

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, kiddiwinks.

I know Zoom is rather new to most of us at the moment, but ATM I have it behaving itself in both Xenialpup64 7.5 and Bionicpup64 8.0.

I've been playing with josejp2424's DPup Buster 64 in recent weeks. When I try launching Zoom - from the terminal - the GUI does appear, but Zoom is non-functional; nowt happens (and the terminal is just full of crap. Literally.) The settings window appears, but as soon as you close it, any changes you've made are immediately lost.....because it won't retain anything.

Have a look at this video I threw together, and you'll see what I mean:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVlfJ8r ... e=youtu.be

Any of our "experts" have any ideas?

The relevant bunch of stuff in /var/log/messages seems to point to problems with the PAM configuration..?

Code: Select all

Jun 22 17:17:01 BusterMikePC authpriv.err CRON[14510]: PAM _pam_load_conf_file: unable to open config for /etc/pam.d/common-auth
Jun 22 17:17:01 BusterMikePC authpriv.err CRON[14510]: PAM error loading (null)
Jun 22 17:17:01 BusterMikePC authpriv.err CRON[14510]: PAM _pam_init_handlers: error reading /etc/pam.d/cron
Jun 22 17:17:01 BusterMikePC authpriv.err CRON[14510]: PAM _pam_init_handlers: [Critical error - immediate abort]
Jun 22 17:17:01 BusterMikePC authpriv.err CRON[14510]: PAM error reading PAM configuration file
Jun 22 17:17:01 BusterMikePC authpriv.err CRON[14510]: PAM pam_start: failed to initialize handlers
Jun 22 17:17:01 BusterMikePC cron.err CRON[14510]: Critical error - immediate abort
Jun 22 17:17:01 BusterMikePC cron.err CRON[14510]: PAM pam_end: NULL pam handle passed
Me no expert with this stuff, I'm afraid....

Mike. :wink:

mikeslr

#2 Post by mikeslr »

Mike,

I don't currently have dpup-buster setup, and currently don't have the time to explore. But the two Puppies in which you have Zoom working are both "Ubuntus". dpup-buster is binary compatible with debian. FWIW, Zoom publishes different debs for debian and Ubuntu. https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articl ... m-on-Linux: Use the down-arrow to choose different Distros.

Evidently, someone there thinks debian and Ubuntu are sufficiently different to warrant taking the time and resources to provide different builds.

Suggestion: Download the debian build. Use a copy of its contents to overwrite a "ubuntu" build. See if ldd tells you anything. Well, you know the drill. Keep the original in case you have to start building from scratch. :( Or hope josejp2424 gets the urge. :lol:

gabtech

Zoom for debian64

#3 Post by gabtech »

I've zoom working in dpupbuster64 after downloading and installing zoom for debian amd64.

mikeslr

Re: Zoom for debian64

#4 Post by mikeslr »

gabtech wrote:I've zoom working in dpupbuster64 after downloading and installing zoom for debian amd64.
Even easier than my suggestion. :lol:

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Mike:-

Okay! I give in, mate; I take my hat off to you.....you're absolutely right. The differing .debs do work properly.

Up until now I'd been using step's SFS package he originally built for FatDog. FatDog, of course, runs every internet- & network-related app as user 'spot'.....by default.

When I started these experiments a couple or three months back, those then-current versions of Zoom seemed to work properly under Xenialpup64 and Bionicpup64. In the intervening weeks & months, Zoom have beefed-up their security, started using heavy-duty encryption (to try & stop episodes of "Zoom-bombing", as it's known), and made all sorts of other little changes & alterations.....with the result that step's SFS packages have steadily become more & more 'problematic' in both those afore-mentioned Pups. And under Busterpup64, they simply won't 'cut the mustard' at all.

The .debs, however.....ah, what a difference. I don't pretend to understand it, because the contents of the /opt/zoom directory remain identical in every case.....but I'm guessing the difference lies in the way stuff's been implemented. Whatever, the Ubuntu-built .deb is running sweet as a nut in Bionicpup64, and the Debian-built .deb is doing the same under Busterpup64; recording works, and settings are retained, etc. I'm going to change things over in Xenialpup64 shortly, but I expect things should remain fully-functional there, too, after I've deleted all the old Zoom-related .config files & settings, etc.

There's even a possibility this might work in jrb's Quirky64, too; might take some 'tweaking', but the Ubuntu .deb is supposed to work with everything from Tahr upwards.....and most Tahr items seem happy under Quirky. Precise has its own special version, though only 64-bit.....and we never had a 64-bit Precise Puppy.

I'll keep y'all posted. Watch this space. I'm not knocking step in any way, shape or form, but we've all got kinda 'led up the garden path' into thinking this has to run as "spot", when in fact it's perfectly content to run as root....

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

Just to update:-

Using the .deb package, everything's running OK in Xenialpup64.....with the exception of recording, for some strange reason. But I can live with that; I don't have a need to record sessions anyway.

Quirky, however, is a different kettle of fish. It could be because jrb stripped it down, but whatever the reason, it's got issues with not being able to find OpenGL.....GLX & EGL not being found, despite the fact they are there, because I put 'em there.... And I've got this same issue with other apps not running in Quirky due to the same shortfall. Ah, well. Can't win 'em all!

gabtech

April-zoom

#7 Post by gabtech »

Hi mike,

jrb has already rolled out april-zoom iso. Just needs upgrading to latest zoom.

Mike Walsh

Re: April-zoom

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

gabtech wrote:Hi mike,

jrb has already rolled out april-zoom iso. Just needs upgrading to latest zoom.
Yeah, I know! I already tried it:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 53#1057053

See, I have "issues" with Quirky64-lite. It's a lovely Puplet, and it works fine (mostly), though there's exceptions. It runs a 3-series kernel, from the last Tahrpups - the 606's. And, like all Barry's experimental stuff since retiring from the stewardship, there's a number of things that just don't quite work as expected. They do 'work', just in a slightly different way to what I'm used to.

My new HP Pavilion tower is only around a year old, design-wise, and the audio chip was first released onto the market about 19 months ago? Long story short, it wasn't even a gleam in an engineer's eye at the time k3.14.56 was compiled.....so how can that kernel be expected to know about it?

It can't.

So, I'm using the same kernel many of my other 64-bitzers are running; Xenialpup64's k4.9.58. Everything works, and it's super-stable. The only major snag with using it in Quirky64 seems to be that the Mesa/EGL/OpenGL stuff - all related to the Nvidia graphics card I'm using, in a roundabout way - are no longer recognised.....

Like I told jrb, it's not as though I don't have other Pups that are using Zoom without any issues. .! Yes, it would have been nice to get Zoom running in all my 64-bit Pups.....but it won't kill me. :)

Sod's law, buddy. :roll:

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

You using the Nvidia manufactures driver package in Quirky64-lite?
That will probably give what is needed.

May be able to use a pet package already compiled for Xenialpup64, if you are using it's same kernel. k4.9.58
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... -xenial64/
The pet has to be compiled for a specific kernel to work.
It will only work in that kernel.
PS:
That is info for others. I know you already know about drivers are compiled for specific kernel.

You are already hacking Quirky64-lite by using a newer kernel.
Give it a try.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

01101001b

Re: zoom

#11 Post by 01101001b »

josejp2424 wrote:zoom dpupbuster 64
Thank you very much José! :D