Which cameras work for Zoom video in Puppy?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
Sky Aisling

#1 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hello, :)
Well, since this ZOOM meeting era seems to be sticking around...

I'm looking for a camera kit to attach to my monitor that lacks a built-in camera. The machine is an HP HDX running Intel CPU 2.53GHz. Yes, the original HP HDX had a monitor with camera. But, the monitor went bust, so I am using the keyboard section of the laptop to run a MultiSync EA231WMi 23" monitor. Works good, but, no camera.

(My faithful little HP dm1 with camera is struggling to keep up. It has only 1.6Ghz of AMD CPU speed. The fan runs constantly when I'm on ZOOM and makes a background noise for those listening during the meeting.)

Does anyone have any suggestions for a camera setup to capture ZOOM transmissions? Brand name? Cost?

Thank you in advance,

Sky

ndujoe1

#2 Post by ndujoe1 »

I use a usb Microsoft Lifecam VX-2000 without issues on bionicpup64.

gabtech

zoom camera

#3 Post by gabtech »

I use my android phone as webcam using droidcam.

mikeslr

#4 Post by mikeslr »

Nice call, grabtech, I wouldn't have thought of it. Always appreciate being able to multipurpose things I already have. There are two versions of droidcam. Works via cable or wifi. Both the free and pro versions rate highly among users. For $4.99 the pro version has:
"- No Ads.
- High-res video support (up to 720p in HD Mode).
- 'FPS Boost' option to get higher frame-rates.
- Pro features on the Windows client including video mirror, flip, rotate, contrast, brightness and other controls.

A bargain compared to actual webcams sold in store!"

Both apparently require Android 5.0 and up.

enrique

#5 Post by enrique »

In several Puppys I do not recalled witch one, once I connected my Android via USB, there where a Popup message asking me If I wanted to connect my Camera? Never tested, I always said no.

I was under the impression that the camera was a automatic thing and that I did not required any special programs? I guess I was wrong.

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Sky:-

For a hassle-free webcam experience in Linux, just shop around & do your research. The thing you're looking for is "UVC" support; if the camera has that, then the in-kernel USB Video Class kernel driver module will detect it and utilise it, OOTB.

Mike. :wink:

Sky Aisling

#8 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hi Mike Walsh and all,

I have good news. This week I was gifted with a bristol old Dell Inspiron N7010 - 6GB RAM with Webcam.
Bionic Beaver-64 with ZOOM-5 runs well on the machine.
I did my latest ZOOM meeting last night with no issues. The video image was clear. The sound was wonderfully clear.

I am one happy camper!

I'll leave this thread open for a while as others might benefit from the posts. Semme, you post about using a smart phone as a ZOOMing unit is intriguing.