How to tell if I have enough RAM to run Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
cretsiah

How to tell if I have enough RAM to run Puppy?

#1 Post by cretsiah »

I was thinking of a Simple Table style "Quick Reference Sheet"
or a puplet that could make determininations for you based on
hardware Info at least.

info wanted to know:
- core count
- ram required (capacity/ capability)
- pup /puplet

This would be helpful to determine what I might run on my Toshiba Satelite L30, my problem is i dont know if it has 512mg ram or 2gig of ram, the 160Gig HHD has died and a 1Terabyte drive (spindal type) was dropped into it.

If i try say Bioninc pup 32-bit but it requires 2gig of ram to run the computer is just gonna look at me stupid isnt it, if it only has 512meg ram

the bios recognised the drive size quite happily, however it only tells me of 2 caches sizes in kilobytes (and no neither of these appear to be the ram size that i can ) and not the available ram (i have no idea why).

the only spec sheet i can find suggest the L30 might only have 708megs of ram, but im not sure if i was able to upgrade this or not due to being left to sit on a shelf for god knows how long. I remember it came with win xp.

I installed Fluxbuntu but its probably like version equivalent puppy dos -2.14.

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

It would seem a machine that would start of with at least 2gb ram.
The ram figures you see are the cpu cache which is a seperate thing....built into the processor.

In puppy terms it should run anything though nothing too old as drivers would be lacking.

Mike

foxpup

#3 Post by foxpup »

Running modern Puppy in Low RAM systems
This may help.
You can try another Puppy than the one in the thread (dPupStretch).

In general Puppy will try to accomodate to the size of your RAM.
But pfix=nocopy is a good help here.

Note: if you do not know the size of your RAM, you will not be able to use a Reference Sheet, will you?

In most Puppys you have PupSysinfo (Menu, System) that can give you a lot of info about your computer.

enrique

#4 Post by enrique »

cretsiah this is what I got from web
The Specs for the Toshiba Satellite L30 Laptop:
Intel Celeron M 1.60GHz
702 mb RAM
160GB hard drive
Well quick answer will be do not try Bionic for now. Nor try any 64bit Puppy. And if we go by official http://puppylinux.com/download.html then next is XenialPup. But you have at this forum a bast selection of Puppy and Puppy derivatives.

I know a Hardware Table with prerequisites will simplify your decision. There is none because it is not that simple. To my knowledge most Puppy has the capability to boot on ALL PC that has at least 256MB of RAM. The exception is Bionic and even that can be tweak to boot. And for very old Pentium with 64 MB RAM I bet you that the 1rst Puppys should boot on them but I have no experience on those. But you want not to boot only, you do want to do many other things.

Now let me tell you 1rst. Puppy is a grate product. Its frugal installation makes it runs better that regular fully uninstallable OS. But Puppy is NOT a magic wand.

Now problem has nothing with the OS booting but more on what you plan to execute on it. The problem arise when you admit that you intent to do Social Media!. Quick answer if you intent to do Social Media. Get you a machine that have at least 4GB RAM and at least dual core 2 GHZ. That is just for start. If you plan to edit video that number increase exponentially. See this has nothing to do with Puppy but what you plan execute.

But not all is bad. There are ways to watch youtube videos using youtube viewers. And there are a few nice work on some browsers that may allow you to survive while browsing. I been told there is a SSE palemoon portable that should execute very nicely on your old CPU.

To resume start with XenialPup just to set your reference. The try to improve by testing a few good Puppys we have here. There are many good ones. I prefer basic startups let say april-7.0.1F-uefi.iso from http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=118366.

You know what I have not test that lately let me see how it work on my old Satellite A45. I let you know latter.

Regards booting from USB. I suspect your PC Bios will not allow boot from USB. I do it thru the use of Plop Boot Manager as I do not have HDD.

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

Ok seem to be two models called L30 from toshiba.... so my input here may be invalid :(
Mike

enrique

#6 Post by enrique »

On my Satellite A45
Intel Pentium4 2.4GHz 512MBRAM.

I just run april-7.0.1F-uefi.iso, Well I did install to USB. And I did installed portable palemoon-28.9.3.linux-i686.tar.xz. And I created a swap of 512MB.

Palemoon do execute. I can come to the forum on acceptable speed.

If I open Youtube and even select lowest 144p I do play the video but webpage respond slow.

I did try fasebook/NASA but same webpage takes its time.

See my point. This old laptop can be use for many things. But for todays multimedia well it is kind of asking alot.

NOW on the good side. It may be possible to compile a custom kernel to enable SSE accelerator and any other old CPU goodys. And use old palemoon build with SEE enable. I guess that may improve but I will not expect a big change.

8Geee

#7 Post by 8Geee »

Generally speaking here...

Most pups use 40-80Mb ram when running, but open a new browser,and it will jump to about 300Mb :roll: So its good you have a swap. Some how, you need a pup with a series 3 kernel. All of these will support SSE,SSE2, etc.

Youtube is becoming a problem. Google in spite of the 'convenience' angle, wants it for themselves. And than means Chrome browsers, or derivitives. All are 64-bit AFAIK. You should seriously consider using a download site, rather than stream. Its just a few minutes extra. Toss if not needed.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

mikeslr

#8 Post by mikeslr »

Ditto what foxpup wrote. If you follow the link he provided you'll find a post by Jamesbond about tests he ran with dpup-stretch. On bootup with the 'no-copy' argument foxpup also suggested dpup-stretch only used 61 Mbs of actual RAM.

Although jamesbond obtained RAM usage via a terminal command, foxpup has suggested that you can use pup-sysinfo which is built into most new puppies including dpup-stretch. Pupsys-info provides an easy-to-use GUI with a Menu at its top divided into categories. Drop-down menus from the categories provide access to routines relating to components within that category. At its far left, just before the "Help" submenu is the submenu "Sys_Spec", from which you can chose "Base Report". This will provide a comprehensive report concerning the most often sought after information about both the hardware and software components currently making up your system. Among the information provided is the amount of RAM available, amount currently in use, what storage devices (drives) can be accessed, their sizes and the amount of unused space they currently have. Other components of Pupsys-info will provide details which may not have been included in the Base Report.

Just to be clear, what I am suggesting --and I think foxpup also suggested-- is that you try dpup-stretch which, as jamesbond linked to, you can download from here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 590#974590

This is not to suggest that bionicpup is not a good system. It is. Nor that dpup-stretch is the newest and best Puppy for your hardware. Radky, dpup-stretch's creator, has, himself, published a more recent Puppy. It's just that dpup-stretch --in addition to being able to run some version of even the newest popular applications-- has a proven track record of being able to run from even "old" resource-limited computers. Once you have any recent puppy which runs pupsys-info, you'll have a better idea of what your computer can do.

One of the great things about Puppies is that they are designed to run as "frugal installs". A frugal install only needs its own FOLDER. It does not need an entire partition. A frugal Puppy fleshed out 'with the Out house-sink' rarely needs more than 4 Gbs hard-drive space*. As a result, you can explore: setup several puppies and see which is best for your computer and your interests.

* This assumes you don't run Wine. Wine will enable you to "install" many programs written for the XP; and --as is required of window portables-- run many more of them 'not installed'. But all that takes up storage space. At one time I got 'carried away'. Although my Puppy and its Linux apps occupied less than 4 Gbs of drive space, :D the space needed by portable wine, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 245#989245, installed xp-programs, and portables run from a different folder added up to about 32 Gbs. :roll: If you restrain yourself to only those xp-programs you 'can't live without', you probably won't need more than 2 or 3 Gbs over your Linux-components. [One of the reasons I use portable wine is that several puppies can share it].

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ cretsiah/all:-

Mikeb/enrique:- From what I can see of it, there are in fact multiple variants of the Satellite L30, oldest with a single-core Celeron,though RAM size isn't stated.....all the way through to a Pentium N3530 with 4GB DDR3.

cretsiah:- A more accurate, exact model no would help here, since this model range spans multiple hardware generations....please?
8Geee wrote:Youtube is becoming a problem. Google in spite of the 'convenience' angle, wants it for themselves. And than means Chrome browsers, or derivitives. All are 64-bit AFAIK. You should seriously consider using a download site, rather than stream. Its just a few minutes extra. Toss if not needed.
Generally speaking, the majority ARE 64-bit only. However, both Vivaldi and SRWare's Iron come in 32-bit format; these are now both available for Puppy as 'portables'.....which will even run from a flash drive, if required.

Though if RAM amount is an 'issue', I do agree with you about downloading, rather than streaming. The older the processor (and the 'weaker' the instruction sets), the more streaming takes out of it. I know this from experience; ye anciente Dell lappie - a P4, a gig-and-a-half of DDR1, integrated, crap Intel graphics - really struggles with streaming.....CPU pegged to the redline, and a very sluggish, juddery experience. It's not nice, TBH.

The new HP Pavilion desktop, on the other hand - quad-core, "Coffee Lake" Pentium G5400, running at nearly 4 GHz & with ultra-modern instruction sets, 16 GB of DDR4, and a discrete Asus GeForce GT710, barely even notices streaming at all. I can have 3 or 4 different browsers running, every one of them streaming, and the result is no more than about 35% CPU use in total.

Hardware's come on a long way..!

Mike. :wink:

nic007

#10 Post by nic007 »

Stream youtube directly from the download link provided by an online youtube download site. This way it works like streaming from the youtube site itself. No need to download the whole file first for watching later.... :wink:

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

Hardware decoding of h264 and other formats in the video card is the major boost... hence why cheap smartphones manage ok...computers and TVs merge.....
I have a pent 3 from 2000 that plays games and emulators really well thanks to an nvidea card doing all the work for example.
Mike

foxpup

choice of Puppy and kernel switch

#12 Post by foxpup »

Just to add my thoughts about the choice of a Puppy.
DpupStretch is good because it is a solid build.
There are also the light Puppys from jrb that are worth a try.
And Barry himself releases Easypup (not easyOS).
It still has some bugs, but I found that it is very easy and gentle on the resources of my 12 year old laptop.
I almost forgot the Slackos! They are more all or nothing but they can be extremely good on older machines.
My personal favorite are the slacko6.9.9.9 builds from norgo.

Another thing you can do easily in (modern) Puppys is to switch kernels.
If you have found a Puppy that runs very well on your machine, you should keep its kernel (vmlinuz+zdrv.sfs).
If you switch it into another Puppy, it could improve its performance considerably.

Well, I want to see the face of cretsiah when he comes back to his thread. :-)
He will be blown away by the amount of info here. ;-)

cretsiah

#13 Post by cretsiah »

OK so to update everyone best I can

Finally found this https://anz.dynabook.com/file/product/i ... 00100e.pdf

the fluxbuntu (which lacked Large amounts of menu entries so i have no idea what is actually built into it) i installed (mainly to check drives worked both the cd/dvd rom and the 1 terabyte drive) is god knows how old it was just in the pile of dics i had lying around for ages.

however in amongst that i also found a rather damaged/ scratched multi puppy os disc

it includes :

- Puppy 2.14R1.01
- Puppy 2.12
- Puppy 2.02 MeanPup (opera)
- Puppy 1.09CE (Ram Only)
- Puppy 1.09CE save_file
- Puppy 301 Retro
- Puppy Fire Hydrant Retro 3.01
- Puppy Chihua lua 3.02 Alpha 6 Retro

Back to the Toshiba

using the "Free -m" command i was able to find out it has only 883 megs of ram
Puppy 2.14R1.01
Puppy 2.12
both worked
puppy 3.01 and my puupy 4.0 (however that is also pretty scratched up) didnt work but the disc is pretty damaged so i cant guarantee if its the disc causing an issue or puppy memory requirements causing an issue.

given the low ram 883megs Im figuring its definetly a 32-bit system.

I wasnt so much going to do any online junk (maybe read the news) with this just maybe try and build up some linux knowledge with it, bu t i do prefer a virtual terminal over direct command line.

I can boot from USB key though rather than cd if required

so does that give you a better idea of what might run on this?

foxpup

#14 Post by foxpup »

That's an old collection you tried. Nice.
Of this, I only used 2.14 Classic for a while.
ttuuxxx made an update of it a year, or two or three?, ago.

Definitely make some swap to help prevent freezing.

I would suggest good old Wary. I had it on the same palomino machine from 2000 as ttuuxxx's gem.
Tahr did nice as well on that oldie, but I had to replace some apps that needed SSE2.

I would say, look around and try.
You know there is a lot of (old) Puppy on Archive.org?
Even a newer Puppy may do well.

Something to reckon with also:
Look if you have an (old) graphic card, maybe nvidia, on the machine.
If so, it could help a lot to get the proprietary driver.
But because the card is old, the driver will be legacy, meaning it will not run on newer kernels.
just maybe try and build up some linux knowledge with it
You could have a lot of fun with it indeed :-)
but it's a challenge

musher0

#15 Post by musher0 »

Hello cretsiah.

Here is a handy formula to calculate the amount of RAM needed for a Pup to run.

Add the size of the pup-basic.sfs and zdrv*.sfs, and multiply by 3.
---- This because the squash (aka sfs) compression compacts roughly to 1/3 of the
original size of the files.

Then see how much RAM your machine has available.

If the size of the unpacked sfs' is less than the size of the RAM, you're good to go.
---- There should be about 300 Mg left in RAM for running the programs.

That said, please keep in mind the good advice given above by foxpup and others
about:
-- the swap partition or file
---- if no swap partition is detected at start-up, all Pups will create a 250 Mg
---- swap file, but that may not be enough.
and
-- the pfix=nocopy setting on the GRUB start-up line
---- This leaves part of the Pup on disc; you free about 100 Mg of RAM by doing so.

Finally, if your machine has room for an additionnal RAM bar, it may be worth it to
buy some (if not too expensive) and install it -- and the problem will go away!

IHTH.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

cretsiah

#16 Post by cretsiah »

OK so based on a whirlppol forum I read,

upgrading the ram could be a major hassle, it has to be very specific ram module
PC2-4200 CL4

as for the graphics lol
ATI Xpress 200M (64megs max) Shared

will attempt to look at:
- 2.14X (Classic)- tuxxx's revamp of 2.14 if i understand correctly
- Dpup-stretch

although I think youtube might be out of the question with only 64megs for graphics.

will let you know in a day or 2 if I can get either of these up and running.

it would be nice to salvage this laptop even if its only for trouble shooting other computers/ hard drives or practicing linux commands, its a nice solid case unlike all this new junk that practically bends in your hands when you pick it up.

cretsiah

Satelite L30 883megs usable ram + 64meg shared graphics

#17 Post by cretsiah »

ok so i forgot to mention

wolfpup 1.01 (was able to use this to do gparted on the fluxbuntu partition i made) was on this disc also.

fluxbuntu

Puppy3.01 doesnt allow for pfix options (aka goes straight into detecting stuff)

FireHydrant Retro 3.01 has low enough spec requirements to boot but has no pfix options (aka goes straight into detecting stuff).

Should ask if Dpup- Stretch7.5 is a uefi or persistant disc image only or is it like the older closed discs (such as 2.14R)

this will make a difference as to whether i need to format another usb or not.

bigpup

#18 Post by bigpup »

given the low ram 883megs Im figuring its definetly a 32-bit system.
883 MB RAM is enough RAM to run any Puppy version.
All it will do is limit how many programs you can be using at one time. How many active tabs you can have open in a web browser and what the web site is trying to do.
Example:
Bionicpup64 8.0 with only Pale Moon browser open with two tabs active.
Actual Used RAM: 314 MB

RAM has nothing to do with 32bit or 64bit support.
The processor has to be 64bit capable to run a 64bit Puppy version.
Any processor can run 32bit.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

foxpup

Re: Satelite L30 883megs usable ram + 64meg shared graphics

#19 Post by foxpup »

cretsiah wrote:Should ask if Dpup- Stretch7.5 is a uefi or persistant disc image only or is it like the older closed discs (such as 2.14R)

this will make a difference as to whether i need to format another usb or not.
Not sure I understand correctly.

All Puppys can do a legacy boot, mbr and grub4dos.
All newer Puppys, since Slacko6.3.2 can also do UEFI boot.

You can do frugal install of many Puppys together on 1 pendrive.
Read this thread through:Puppy Linux legacy boot EASY

For persistence you accept the offer to make a pupsave on first shutdown.
Newer Puppys offer the choice between a file (.fs) or a map on a linux partition (ext2/3/4).
If you can, go for the map.
So format your pendrive ext2/3/4, or at least part of it.
Or you can put the pupsave on a linux partition on the hard disc.
Many possibilities here.

mikeb

#20 Post by mikeb »

although I think youtube might be out of the question with only 64megs for graphics.
This in itself does not affect you tube playability...

Mike