Grafpup-2.xx fourth (and final) alpha

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
plinej

#21 Post by plinej »

deleted
Last edited by plinej on Fri 23 Mar 2007, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.

Nathan F

#22 Post by Nathan F »

Thanks. I just downloaded it and will give it a try in the next few days.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

plinej

#23 Post by plinej »

One small thing about the dillo version is you have xnview set up as default to view pictures in rox but xnview isn't in the iso. You may want to change it to mtpaint. Rarsa re-wrote tkConvert to a gtk version (which is better and smaller) called pConvert which you can find here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 57&t=15915

Nathan F

#24 Post by Nathan F »

Good point with the image veiwer. I think I'll create another defaults file for "defaultimageviewer", so this can be adjusted based on preference. I plan to do a good deal of work on mime functions for the next iso anyway.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

plinej

#25 Post by plinej »

deleted
Last edited by plinej on Fri 23 Mar 2007, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.

plinej

#26 Post by plinej »

I was not able to burn an iso as user grafpup using grafburn. I'll look into it tomorrow if I have a chance. Also wmix only seems to automatically start up when I login as root otherwise I have to manually start it.

Nathan F

#27 Post by Nathan F »

The cd burning is a known issue but I had every intention of sorting it out at some point. Thing is, cdrecord will not work for regular users. I know for sure of one workaround, which is to set the cdrecord executable suid root. However, this is not ideal and is considered a bit of a security risk by some folks. There is a way I think to set up group permissions to fix it also but I have to research it.

If you want wmix to start up then use the dockapp manager in the menu to start it. You can also start the dockapp manager from freememapplet's popup menu. I do need to change the default configuration for non root users to have wmix on by default. What I want to do eventually is find or hack together a volume control that can run in the system tray, just like freememapplet and blinky do now. A small battery monitor in the tray would also be a good idea, to replace wmpower. I like the possibility to use dockapps if needed, but there are more attractive and unobtrusive solutions for most tasks.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

amish

#28 Post by amish »

The cd burning is a known issue but I had every intention of sorting it out at some point. Thing is, cdrecord will not work for regular users. I know for sure of one workaround, which is to set the cdrecord executable suid root. However, this is not ideal and is considered a bit of a security risk by some folks. There is a way I think to set up group permissions to fix it also but I have to research it.
oh what a perfect time to remind everyone that cdrecord has a flaw doing iso writes ON SOME WRITERS in the 2.6 kernel. the kernel authors messed up something that the author of cdrecord relied on before, he refuses to fix it until they do, cdrecord will never be reliable again. if it "works for me" that means you're lucky to have a writer that's unaffected.

of course since this only means *some* machines and writers cannot burn iso files, it's a low priority :) and has been for at least 4 versions of puppy now.

but that's okay, because i can probably burn an iso file in grafpup 104. i already have 4 versions of puppy, and none of them have ever burned a cd properly, (i have one that was burned improperly, and mostly, puppy never burned a cd whatsoever) so i will just keep trying old versions until one of them gets it right. i have not yet tried grafpup, but puppy 1.07 and 2.11 (all versions of puppy 2) just won't.

cdrdao seems to be the future, but i understand, really it's obvious i should just go buy new hardware every time someone screws up the kernel :) yeah, that makes sense. so cdrecord also has trouble being nonroot? well, hey, so does nero if xp users don't have the "right" to burn cd's... it's kinda funny tho.

Nathan F

#29 Post by Nathan F »

Let's not get too worked up now, it will get worked on. Actually, Debian already forked cdrtools over this and a few other issues, so it is getting worked on (although I can't seem to get any better results using their source). Plus as you say, there's always cdrdao, which I plan to integrate a little more into Grafburn at some point. And remember also that this is essentially a cdrtools problem and not one caused by Puppy.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

plinej

#30 Post by plinej »

The set-time-for-puppy script seems to freeze up my system everytime I try it. It goes thru everything but freezes on the second to last Xdialog instance. I changed the last 2 instances of Xdialog to gxmessage and then it would just freeze at the very end. I then commented out the last message and it still froze up. I have to do a hard reboot everytime. I was hoping to fix it but I'm not sure what's causing it.

plinej

#31 Post by plinej »

I was getting a /usr/sbin/pmount: line 615: [: =: unary operator expected
in that second version of pmount I posted and I noticed I forgot to change lines 615 & 580 back to:

if [ "$SUDO" = sudo ];then

Dougal

#32 Post by Dougal »

plinej wrote:if [ "$SUDO" = sudo ];then
Tsk, tsk. That is a string comparison -- both sides should be quoted!

"$SUDO" = "sudo"
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

plinej

#33 Post by plinej »

Thanks dougal

plinej

#34 Post by plinej »

I ran into another problem with pmount as user grafpup. I'm not sure why I didn't notice this before but pmount won't create the necessary mount points in /mnt unless if you chown grafpup:users /mnt due to /mnt being root:root by default.

plinej

#35 Post by plinej »

Okay, third times a charm right? Here's another pmount. This time I took Barry's latest that he posted on his forum at:

http://www.puppyos.net/forum/azbb.php?1174637854

This has mine and dougal's latest revisions and then Barry fixed a little more. He mentions changing the gxmessage to yaf-splash but since yaf-splash isn't in grafpup at the moment I commented that out and left the gxmessage for now. I added all your code back to it and changed out the icons like you had before.
Attachments
grafpup-pmount-3.tar.gz
(5.82 KiB) Downloaded 680 times

plinej

#36 Post by plinej »

Guest Too's fix for Opera font rendering should probably be applied as default:

http://www.puppyos.net/forum/?1174579188

Also the remaster script has to be modified so /home can be put into the squash file or else we're stuck with a root only user until you rebuild the home directory and then log back in. There are also more files that need to be copied from the cd into the /puppylivecdbuild/ directory. I've hacked it to work but it just copies all of the files & directories from the cd (except the main squash file) before it creates the new squash file. It works fine for me but I don't use a multi-session cd so I don't know how that would affect my revisions.

Nathan F

#37 Post by Nathan F »

Give me a bit to catch up here. Obviously there's a lot going on now.

I'd rather not change ownership of /mnt, although I thought of that solution to the missing mountpoints. What I did is to set this up through the script update-fstab_pd, which is primarily a way to add or remove a pendrive from fstab so that it can be mounted read/write by a regular user. I can't remember exactly where I inserted the code to create the mountpoint though, and I might have only done it if the pendrive is determined to be a pendrive. I'll have to look it over again. Basically this script is run with root permissions, so anything that needs to run as root can go in there, including creating the directories. I tried to be extremely careful in setting it up so that only removable media can be accessed read/write, so as not to create a situation where a user could mount an internal hard drive and wipe out files.

I don't at all like yaf-splash and would rather use another method. Basically it steals focus and doesn't give it up, which I consider bad behavior. You can of course dismiss it easily by clicking on it but a new user will not know that. There needs to be some kind of feedback, especially since this goes really slow on older machines, but without a lot of work I don't think we have a good solution at hand right now.

I ran into a couple other cases of /home going missing with this same problem and fixed them in the universal installer. I hadn't thought to loook for them in the remaster script, sorry.

As for Opera remember we have to tread carefully because of the license. I'd rather not go too far from their defaults, but I guess chagning fonts could be considered akin to changing the theme, which I happen to know is allowed.

I'll definately implement the little fix you mentioned for dotpetrox.sh. It was working for me but I think I only tested it with packages in $HOME, so the shell would have started out there anyway.

Thanks for all the help guys, it's kind of nice once in a while to not go it alone. Especially when your coding is as sloppy as mine is sometimes...

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

plinej

#38 Post by plinej »

I'm definitely not trying to overwhelm you at all and will be happy to help out any way I can. Basically in the remaster script I just commented out these lines:

#DIRHOME=""
#[ -d /home ] && DIRHOME="/home"

That way home is left untouched, although the person doing the remaster needs to be aware that everything in /home will be put in the remaster. Of course there is also the issue of extra files and directories on the cd that need to be copied too.

I did notice with pmount I'm able to mount (and create mount points) with usb devices but not with ide drives.

Nathan F

#39 Post by Nathan F »

All the remaster script should do is create an empty directory /home, because permissions go a bit flaky inside of a squashfile mounted as a unionfs (or aufs) branch anyway. The home directory for "grafpup" has to be created on the first boot because of this, actually, by copying all of /etc/skel and changing ownership appropriately.

A really advanced remaster script would of course alllow you to set up whatever users you wanted on your live cd, and probably change a few other things as well. But really I can't see making things that complex, there's too much potential for breakage.

I'll have to work on the mountpoint issue. I suppose I could do something like what I did with usb drives, but rather than updating fstab a small script could be created which just creates the mountpoint, and then give all users in the "users" group permission to run it with sudo. Well yes, that seems a likely solution.

The thing that bugs me is that even when all these things are put in place in pmount, mut will still be kind of crippled for regular users. It can mount drives OK, but when it comes to pendrives they are mounted read only unless you are root. I just don't know tk enough to fix it right.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

plinej

#40 Post by plinej »

Yes, I agree, about the /home issue but /etc/skel was not copied to /home/grafpup after I initially remastered and I could not login as grafpup. Something else must've broke in the remastering process if you have some script that is supposed to do that.

Also, I did have everything in home set to grafpup:users and that was retained in the squash file.