PPM2

Using applications, configuring, problems
Sailor Enceladus

#241 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Ghost Dog wrote:Any option for overwriting installed packages? Every time I do this, I get the "package is already installed" message.

I don't care if it's already installed, I want it overwritten.
That's generally what I want too. I have to go into /root/.packages and manually delete file and user-installed-packages entry.

edit: I guess going into PPM and uninstalling the first one is the proper way, but it'd be nice if the prompt gave that option too.

slavvo67

#242 Post by slavvo67 »

Probably not too difficult to hack in a "force" option for the install. I haven't seen Mav for quite sometime, so not sure if he'll be around to make/support changes.

IMPORTANTLY: Once you upgrade to PPM2, I did not find it as easy to revert back. I guess on a live cd, you just reboot. Quirky took a bit more.... but I have the old one back!

Crazy thing, while installed, I had PPM2 delete itself. Nice and dangerous. So, no file manager and can't click to install. I had to manually install the petget folder in /usr/local/petget/....

Serves me right, I guess! :D

Slavvo67

slavvo67

#243 Post by slavvo67 »

See my post above but I tried to hack PPM2 in order to have it install over the top of the other, already installed program. So far, no success. Might be a better idea to have PPM2 auto-delete the file or derivative (older version) of what you're installing and then install the new. :shock:

gcmartin

#244 Post by gcmartin »

+1

Always wondered why this was not there. This would be similar like what we get with "apt get update" replacing installed with newer.

But, as it is obvious, I wonder if it was an original forgotten plan step.

MochiMoppel

#245 Post by MochiMoppel »

Ghost Dog wrote:Any option for overwriting installed packages? Every time I do this, I get the "package is already installed" message.
Option where? In thePPM2 GUI?

I don't use PPM2, but IIRC you will not find a package in the list that is already installed. You should never see the "package is already installed" message after downloading a package since you can't select it in the first place. This was a problem with the classic PPM, which didn't remove installed packages from the list.

You should see the message only when you manually install a package, and only when the package name is exactly the same as the installed. Hacking this message and adding an option to install anyway is easy. A one liner. It's one of the first options I implemented in my customized PPM because I missed that too, but I needed that for testing and development and for speed and convenience, i.e. because I'm lazy. I can understand that there is no option in the "official" version. Firsty, installing a package that is already installed makes little sense. If this is to "repair" a broken installation then deleting the broken installation should have first priority. A proper "I don't care" option would delete the existing installation before installing the package again. This would be more than a one liner and not trivial.

@gcmartin If I understand Ghost Dog correctly then this is not about updating a package, this is about installing the same package again. AFAIK PPM2 lets you install foobar-1.1..pet when you have foobar-1.0..pet installed. You wouldn't see above message and you would end up with an overwritten foobar-1.0.

amigo

#246 Post by amigo »

So you guys are still mucking about with a 'package manager' which can't --reinstall, --upgrade, --downgrade or --remove a package? I think calling it a 'manager' is a little overstated.

MochiMoppel

#247 Post by MochiMoppel »

Last edited by MochiMoppel on Tue 30 Aug 2016, 04:50, edited 2 times in total.

bigpup

#248 Post by bigpup »

amigo wrote:So you guys are still mucking about with a 'package manager' which can't --reinstall, --upgrade, --downgrade or --remove a package? I think calling it a 'manager' is a little overstated.
PPM is only for program packages you want to add to a Puppy version.
Its abilities are very dependent on how the repositories used are maintained.
These repositories are the weak link.
Example:
You want a newer version of a program package. The repository has to be updated to have it. That may or may not happen. Depends on who is maintaining the repository.
Also, you have to update the PPM data base to even know there is a update to a repository.

PPM can --reinstall, --upgrade, --downgrade or --remove a package.

Reinstall:
Uninstall the program package with the uninstall button.
Go find the package and install it.
Why? Because some Puppy pet packages may or may not overwrite files correctly, so it is safer to just start over.

Upgrade:
Find a newer version of a program package and install it.
This is dependent on the naming of files staying the same.
Only version number changing.
Otherwise you may get two versions of a package installed.
An old one and a newer one.

Downgrade:
Uninstall the program package. using uninstall.
Install the older version of the program package.

Remove a package:
Use the uninstall button.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

slavvo67

#249 Post by slavvo67 »

PPM can --reinstall, --upgrade, --downgrade or --remove a package.
I think the question is what is completely automated and what is semi-automated. For example, you just can't install the latest Libre Office over the old one. I don't recall an upgrade option that works, perhaps because of the nuances stated by Bigpup, above. I think everyone would benefit from an option that can determine across versions what's installed and remove as a part of the installing a new version option. Easier said than done? Probably...

Best,

Slavvo67

gcmartin

#250 Post by gcmartin »

@Bigpup, I agree with your re-install steps. But, the reason it is mentioned is that it would have been nice, as the Package Manager has progressed, that it would be capable of doing those steps automatically.

I feel that the reinstall sub-process "may" have been overlooked. Yet, it is understood (I think by many/most members) that, today, those steps you share are required. For built-in packages, though, I am unsure if the PPM sees those as un-install available.

Just a note.

greengeek

#251 Post by greengeek »

After seeing mike walsh talking about PPM2 on another thread I thought I would give it a try but get the error shown in the pic below

Code: Select all

This is a rare pup_even error that fails to report the available free space. Just click on the free memory applet at the tray and try again. It should be OK after that.
However clicking that icon does not get me past the problem.

I see others have initially had similar problems but my triggers may be different because I run without any savefile, and with a 10GB swap file. Maybe these things upset the PPM space calculations.

I have not read every post in this thread yet but does anyone else without savefiles have any suggestions?

cheers!

EDIT : I am testing with ppm_auto-2.pet from the first post. And using a Slacko 5.6 derivative.

EDIT2 :
mavrothal wrote:OK, as we said before this has to do with pup_event not ppm. In meant that the file /tmp/pup_event_sizefreem is not there.
This file is produced by pup_event.
Is the file there? Apparently your system has something that messes up pup_even.....
Finding available free space through pup_event_sizefreem is something that PPM is doing at least since puppy 4, 6 years ago. Is not specific to PPM2 (There is no point in removing the check as it is important to be sure about the available space, otherwise you may end up with a broken system in the middle of an installation)
I definitely do not have the file /tmp/pup_event_sizefreem - yet my original PPM seems to work fine. I'm stumped.
Attachments
pup_even_error.jpg
(51.94 KiB) Downloaded 231 times

Mike Walsh

#252 Post by Mike Walsh »

@GG:-

Ian, it's worked for me in every single Pup I've added it to. But then my Pups all run with 'standard' Puppy structure, including 'save-file'.

I'm pretty certain your problem stems from the way in which you run your Pups; not unique, of course (several other folks have owned up over the last year or so to running in the same fashion), but sufficiently different to standard Puppy operation to throw a spanner in the works for normal Puppy 'procedure'.

That's what happens when you decide to do things differently, of course; you inadvertently become a bit of a 'trail-blazer' as you do so. Like with your 'Banksy' Pup.....

I can't help wondering whether the same problem would exist if you performed a re-master to include PPM v2.0 as standard? Worth a try, perhaps? Either that, or drop Mavrothal a line to see what he may suggest as a work-around.....

Mike. :wink:

mistfire

#253 Post by mistfire »

Hello I made also a modified PPM it is more a radical one. You can check it out

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107586

miriam

#254 Post by miriam »

GreenGeek, I have exactly the same problem you have with the PuppyPackageManager not letting me install anything because it keeps giving that bogus free space error.

Mike Walsh, I'm using BionicPup with a savefile (save directory, actually). I normally do a full install, and have never had a problem before. Weirdly, I have a frugal install of BionicPup, just like this one, on my laptop and that works just fine.

The file /tmp/pup_event_sizefreem does not exist, and I checked the 6 scripts in /usr/local/pup_event/ and none of them mention /tmp/pup_event_sizefreem so there must be some other explanation.
[color=blue]A life! Cool! Where can I download one of those from?[/color]

bigpup

#255 Post by bigpup »

This topic is 5 years old.
Last developer (mavrothal) post was Dec 2015.

If the Puppy version was developed using Woof-CE over the last 4 years.
As I understand, the Puppy Package Manager(PPM), that is in the Puppy version, is this PPM2.

There has been a few bug tweaks done in Woof-CE supplied PPM2.

Note:
In the PPM2 pet package info:
NOTE: PPM in puppies produced from woof-CE after May 10,2015, is newer than this pet.
So, if you installed this older build of PPM2.
You may have put the bugs back in the PPM that is in the Puppy version.

The people coding for Woof-CE, are also keeping some of the core Puppy programs updated, as Woof-CE changes.
PPM is one of the programs.

Example:
Bionicpup64 8.0 has PPM v2.1.2
Last edited by bigpup on Fri 22 May 2020, 20:27, edited 3 times in total.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#256 Post by bigpup »

If you are having issues with the PPM in a recent Puppy version. Less than 5 years old.

I suggest you post a topic about your problem or post about it on the Woof-CE Github web site.
Woof-CE
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE
YaPI(any iso installer)

miriam

#257 Post by miriam »

Bigpup, thank you for your reply, but it has me a little puzzled. I know you are trying to be helpful and not rude, but did you notice that your comment essentially tells me to go away? :)

I have been helped by new posts to ancient threads before, and have helped others who have posted to very old threads. The age of the thread doesn't really matter. If someone has a similar problem then they can be prompted to add more info and a possible solution or workaround can be found. (Some people still use Puppy 3... my main Puppy is Puppy Lupu 528. I've installed many newer Puppies, but always go back to Lupu 528, which was the most functional version I've found yet.)

The GitHub pages for woof-CE are interesting, and thank you for the pointer to them. If I can work out how to post there, I might do so. For some reason buttons on GitHub don't work in my old Firefox since Microsoft bought the site. (Not an evil conspiracy, just a stupid webdesign choice by programmers uninterested in backward compatibility.) So upgrade the web browser, you might suggest. Unfortunately it is the most recent version that works on my old Puppy, and plenty of other sites (such as this forum) have buttons that work fine in even older web browsers. So why don't I upgrade my Puppy? That's exactly what I was trying to do, until I struck this problem with the PPM in BionicPup 8.0 64-bit UEFI. Though upgrading my operating system because a website makes its pages difficult to use seems a little like the tail wagging the dog... my webpages at http://miriam-english.org can be viewed on any web browser -- even ancient Mosaic, the very first web browser!

Please don't get the idea that I'm stuck in the past and am railing against change. I have been working on artificial intelligence (AI) and have previously worked building 3D virtual worlds on the net. At the moment I'm trying to finish my 7th science fiction novel.

So... I guess I'll have to try to solve it myself. If I find the solution I'll post here for the next person who has this problem -- I bet I'm not the only one.
[color=blue]A life! Cool! Where can I download one of those from?[/color]

Semme

#258 Post by Semme »

Hello Miriam,

Just a thought here, but, maybe boot live and replace /usr/local/petget from a "boot to RAM, no save file" session?
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

slavvo67

#259 Post by slavvo67 »

PPM2 has some significant flaws and due to the ongoing scrutiny by others, I believe the developer had enough and walked away from the project.

When it refused to accept/install a puppy package, I've had to download the package, unpack and repack it to make PPM2 accept it.

I wouldn't recommend its use unless another developer picks up the project and rolls it forward.

bigpup

#260 Post by bigpup »

This topic was a development topic for making major changes to PPM and testing.
It really should have been locked when the testing stopped.

All Puppy versions developed over the last 4 years are using PPM2.
They just do not call it that.
It is just PPM.
However, the version of it, is probably different, depending on the Puppy version.
Not all problems with PPM are caused by PPM.

This PPM2 topic is no longer about the PPM that is now in the newer or newest Puppy versions.
If you tried to install it into a newer, or newest Puppy version. It would break PPM.

PPM in puppies produced from woof-CE after May 10,2015, is newer than this pet.

miriam,

You are always going to get better help, making a topic about your problem, and posting it in one of the help sections, of this forum.
Beginners help
Users

A new topic about something, just stands out, and more people see it.
YaPI(any iso installer)