PCMCIA LAN card with static IP; doesn't work...

Cifra

PCMCIA LAN card with static IP; doesn't work...

#1 Post by Cifra »

Well, I've got a real problem here...

A week ago I bought a new JAHT Fast Ethernet PCMCIA card. Then I installed Puppy Linux, cause it's an old laptop. Specificaly, an IBM ThinkPad model 390E, with all the works. And it's quite in good shape, see the specs on teh bottom of the post.

The problem is, my ISP gave me a static IP adress, so I have to enter the IP, gateway and stuff myself, there is no DHCP. I had to try 3 times before puppy found a live ethernet connection, and when I entered the correct (checked a million times) IP numbers, it still doesn't work. As I tried the LAN card on Win 2000 on the same laptop, it said it doesn't have enough system resources... but that's a little weird, isn't it?
Cause actualy the LAN card is responding in Puppy, it works sort of, it even recieves data, but it doesn't send any, so the net connection simply doesn't work. Please help, it's for my mom :D

P.S. - There is no problem with the ISP, it works flawlessly on my home computer. And the version of Puppy is 2.13.

Configuration:

Code: Select all

# 333 MHz Mobile Pentium II (Dixon PII core)
# 256KB L2 cache, on die, running at full clock speed
# 64 SDRAM standard, 256MB max (66 MHz FSB)
# 6.4 GB S.M.A.R.T. EIDE disk, ATA-4, 13 ms seek time, 7 ms latency
# 24X CD-ROM, up to 3.6 MB/s
# Uniformly bright spectacular 14.1" 1024x768 pixel display
# ESS Solo-1 Audio chipset: 16-bit Stereo audio, Line in, Microphone (integrated), microphone jack, MPEG-1 Playback, Sound Blaster Pro (compatible), Speakers(stereo)/headphone jack, Speakers (integrated), Video out, Volume control
# 2D/3D graphics using the Neomagic NM2200 (256AV) chipset, 2.5 MB video memory, maximum external resolution = 1280x1024 x 24-bit
# 2 Type I/II or 1 Type III CardBus with Zoomed Video support