Kanopy Issues

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
ozsouth

Kanopy Issues

#1 Post by ozsouth »

Continuing discussion re - issues following incomplete advice on updating Firefox.
Continuing from here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 06#1057406

Sky possibly has hardware issues, and uses older puppy versions. After attempting to update firefox several issues emerged.

@Sky - restating - it seems you need a more recent puppy, as the older ones didn't seem to like recent firefox without apulse capability for Kanopy.
Last edited by ozsouth on Mon 01 Jun 2020, 07:56, edited 3 times in total.

ozsouth

#2 Post by ozsouth »

Sky, from your earlier posts, seems you have dpup-stretch 7.5 (not 7.0.5 - check in /etc/DISTRO_SPECS) on your AMD E-350 machine. If so, in luck!
That version is 32bit & has apulse & gtk3 (in pfind, need to tick 'all files' to find apulse). In it, you should be able to install the latest firefox-esr which works with that 7.5 pup on my i3 system. I'm posting from it.
My firefox-esr .pet is here: http://www.filepup.net/files/7436c44d1588749137.html
It will appear in the Internet menu.

Sky Aisling

Kanopy Issues

#3 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hi ozsouth,
Thank you for sticking with me on this. I am so grateful for the assistance.
Here's the situation as I see it this morning.
The machine is a HP HDX Premium Series with 4GB of RAM.

▶—— Linux Kernel ——◀

Kernel Release: 3.14.54
Build Date: Tue Dec 1 17:54:26 GMT 2015
OS Support: GNU/Linux
Architecture: x86_64
SMP Enabled: Yes

Kernel Command Line:
psubdir=tahr646.0.5frugal pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck

The HD(s) take about 2 minutes to pull up anything to do with the system, For example: a mount command. Gparted cannot scan the internal drives. Any built-in programs take 2-4 minutes to pull up. I can hear the HD armature working, tick, tick, tick. I was able to normally load an email program via Palemoon browser and send an email with normal speed today.

So, my guess is the HD(s) are corrupted from the Xubuntu coding or they are malfunctioning because of age and are failing naturally. I can relate to that. I would have thought the pfix=fsck would have helped sort out the confused coding.

I've been out looking for a new second-hand desktop box for sometime now until our world changed last March 21. Now, our komputer shop is closed down along with most the rest of the town. But, that's ok. I love the quiet.

Sky

Sky Aisling

Kanopy Issues

#4 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hi ozsouth,

Here is what Gparted is saying:
Attachments
GpartedError1.png
(38.81 KiB) Downloaded 184 times

ozsouth

#5 Post by ozsouth »

I also had bad experiences with older xubuntu overwriting my boot loader, but thought that was fixed in recent versions. If your hardware is failing that would exacerbate your issues.
Did you check your exact dpup-stretch version as above? If it's 7.5 & you're happy to use it, it may solve your original issue of Kanopy access. It's 7 am here & I'm about to go to our special 'seniors shopping hour' without the general public.
Back later.

Sky Aisling

Kanopy Issues

#6 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hi, ozsouth

OK, here's the solution I've devised to solve the funky Hard Drive issue.

I took the two hard drives out of the machine.

I put my saved data on a memory card and I am using it as my data storage drive. Previously I used sda2 for my storage area and the distro was on sda1. I am fortunate enough to have two working Puppy machines to make data transfers to portable media.

I am booting up and using a flash drive with Dpup stretch 7.5 frugal installed. I can change to a different Distro when or if I need to.
The OS is running perfectly normal as far as I can tell.

After all isn't that what makes Puppy special? She can run in any old wreck of a machine from just about any outside medium. I now have more appreciation for all the old timers on this forum who turn up their nose when they hear someone is installing Puppy to the HDD.
So, now we can get on to the original question days ago...how to get a browser to play Kanopy movies. Yes?

Sky

PS - Yes, I lost some data. I do backup data but this virus situation took over my attention and I haven't backed up data since before March 21 2020. But, you know what? Most of the data I've saved since then is full of ugly scary stuff. What a relief to watch that stuff go into the recycle bin!

ozsouth

#7 Post by ozsouth »

Ok Sky - can we try what I suggested a few posts up with dpup-stretch 7.5 - get Firefox-ESR .pet from here:
http://www.filepup.net/files/7436c44d1588749137.html
Install by clicking on it in ROXFiler (takes a minute or so to install). Then in a terminal run: apulse firefox

Sky Aisling

Kanopy Issues

#8 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hi ozsouth,
Downloaded Firefox-ESR .pet from here:
http://www.filepup.net/files/7436c44d1588749137.html

Once file installed, Rebooted

Entered bash command: apulse firefox.

See results below.
Note: Firebox sound not playing on any other sites.
Attachments
Apulse Firefox.png
(7.84 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
Firefox1.png
(29.6 KiB) Downloaded 152 times

ozsouth

#9 Post by ozsouth »

Sky - this is most puzzling. I loaded dpup-stretch-7.5 on my system & it has apulse. If we can get that working, can enable DRM in firefox by clicking the '3 horizontal bar' icon near top right, then Preferences then scroll down to DRM & enable it.
Please install the attached apulse .pet & then try apulse firefox again.
Attachments
apulse-dpup-stretch-7.5.pet
(126.28 KiB) Downloaded 122 times

Semme

#10 Post by Semme »

Xenial 7.5 / 32b, pristine boot + the latest ESR fired with apulse and NO DRM plays Kanopy without incident.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Sky Aisling

Kanopy Issues

#11 Post by Sky Aisling »

ozsouth writes:
I loaded dpup-stretch-7.5 on my system & it has apulse. If we can get that working, can enable DRM in firefox by clicking the '3 horizontal bar' icon near top right, then Preferences then scroll down to DRM & enable it.
Please install the attached apulse .pet & then try apulse firefox again.
SUCCESS! ozsouth.

Firefox is playing sound on Kanopy.com.
Firefox is playing sound on other sites.

I did get this warning message from the console entry.

Whew! What a long way to Tipperary.
Thank you so much for sticking with me ozsouth.

Sky
PS - I now see there is a new Peebee pup out UpupBB? Is this the latest Debian Pup?
Attachments
Apulse Firefox Message.png
(27.59 KiB) Downloaded 131 times

Sky Aisling

Kanopy Issues

#12 Post by Sky Aisling »

Oui!
I closed out Firefox with a happy smile.
Then went back into it to watch the movie.
No sound again.
re-entered bash command apulse firefox and sound came back
Well, we are partway there. At least I know how to get it to play sound as long as FF is open. It must loose the setting on closing.

Sky

ozsouth

#13 Post by ozsouth »

Excellent, Sky - nearly there! apulse firefox needs to be run each time - the attached .pet will set Apulse Firefox in the Internet menu. Once installed, all you need to do for a desktop icon is open /usr/bin in ROXFiler, then drag afox onto the desktop. Double clicking the icon thus created launches apulse firefox.
Attachments
afox.pet
(536 Bytes) Downloaded 119 times

Sky Aisling

Kanopy Issues

#14 Post by Sky Aisling »

ozsouth

Afox.pet is working. I have no issues with Firefox playing Kanopy movies or any other movies from other sources. Thank you again.

Sky