RC7 (STABLE) WeeDogLinux Arch 64 now released

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
wiak

#781 Post by wiak »

All announcements, details and feedback has been moved to only:

https://weedoglinux.rockedge.org/viewto ... p=226#p226
Last edited by wiak on Wed 24 Jun 2020, 04:49, edited 1 time in total.

wiak

#782 Post by wiak »

Hi rockedge, I've sent you a new PM regarding last minute additions.

wiak

wiak

#783 Post by wiak »

I meant to release the new build scripts including desktop Arch plugin, but then I started work on a (very) simple gui frontend (can also be run as commandline only) so I'm finishing that first in case it results in me deciding to tweak the build_firstrib and build_weedog scripts further. There are a couple of name changes I am purposively adopting for these new version 2.x.x of the scripts anyway:

firstrib plug names are all to start with f_ (e.g. f_default_ubuntu64.plug) and weedog initramfs plugins and kernel line parameters with w_ (e.g. w_rdsh0.plug, w_rdsh1, w_bootfrom and so on). That helps identify which are firstrib_rootfs build plugins and which are to be used during actual WeeDog boots, and groups them together more easily in filemanager listings. Also helps organise the "weedog" frontend glue script and simplifies the coding. Otherwise operation remains as normal...

The "weedog" frontend (which is simply a 'glue' script for the underlying usual build scripts) doesn't need to be used, however; previous two script build will also work as before (aside from these name changes). In practice, for many it will be easier to use the frontend (and it will need testing) and make it trivial for new users to completely auto-build WeeDog Linux into an empty folder ready to boot from grub4dos or grub2 etc.

wiak

rockedge

#784 Post by rockedge »

Extremely useful.....I like the direction. Good work wiak

recobayu

#785 Post by recobayu »

wiak wrote:I meant to release the new build scripts including desktop Arch plugin, but then I started work on a (very) simple gui frontend (can also be run as commandline only) so I'm finishing that first in case it results in me deciding to tweak the build_firstrib and build_weedog scripts further. There are a couple of name changes I am purposively adopting for these new version 2.x.x of the scripts anyway:

firstrib plug names are all to start with f_ (e.g. f_default_ubuntu64.plug) and weedog initramfs plugins and kernel line parameters with w_ (e.g. w_rdsh0.plug, w_rdsh1, w_bootfrom and so on). That helps identify which are firstrib_rootfs build plugins and which are to be used during actual WeeDog boots, and groups them together more easily in filemanager listings. Also helps organise the "weedog" frontend glue script and simplifies the coding. Otherwise operation remains as normal...

The "weedog" frontend (which is simply a 'glue' script for the underlying usual build scripts) doesn't need to be used, however; previous two script build will also work as before (aside from these name changes). In practice, for many it will be easier to use the frontend (and it will need testing) and make it trivial for new users to completely auto-build WeeDog Linux into an empty folder ready to boot from grub4dos or grub2 etc.

wiak
When it will come?
Thank you.
Last edited by recobayu on Sun 03 May 2020, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.

wiak

#786 Post by wiak »

Hello recobayu,

I'll probably release the core build scripts including plugin to build a relatively full-featured complete WeeDog Arch Linux desktop any day now... I've been sidetracked because I'm including gtkdialog and a few puppy/dog utilities packaged as two little sfs files, and small though that extra is, their simple creation has taken me more time than I expected... I wasted some time blundering (and had problem with gtkdialog because Arch Linux doesn't have gtk+2 libvte in its repo and was accidentally using gtk+3 version, which naturally failed...). I won't have the gui build frontend ready till after (since have to get back to that), but to just to test it there will be a single script to download, which will auto-download all the other pieces and build the WeeDog Arch flavour ready to frugal boot via grub4dos or grub2 or whatever. The assumption is that you will have grub4dos or grub2 already booting on your machine so will just need the menu.list or grub.cfg altered to include the lines to boot WeeDog.

I was planning to release the core new build scripts a day or two ago, but decided to polish the desktop up a bit so it becomes more usable out-of-the-box. That takes time, but hopefully just a few extra tweaks to do at this stage - no point rushing it or I'd end up released upgrade too quickly immediately after...

So will be soon - mainly just testing just now (which takes time since relatively big system, though actually about same size main squashfs as I use on my BionicDog64 system, and size includes big apps like LibreOffice and Firefox and Gimp and Inkscape (though script builder can simply remove from the plugin list what they don't want... and/or add extras/alternatives). I'll wait till I publish till posting screenshot though.

Being a large Arch rootfs, I'd recommend building it on a hard drive partition (rather than a usb stick) and though the final firstrib_rootfs.sfs will end up at around 2.5 GB, the build itself needs around 8GB free space in the empty dir you do the build (since first it has to construct the uncompressed root filesystem before mksquashing it...

wiak

wiak

#787 Post by wiak »

I'm pretty sure I'll be releasing the new build scripts within the next 24 hours. Aside from the new build scripts having a few minor changes (particularly in kernel line options requiring w_ in front of them: such as w_bootfrom, w_rdsh0, and so on), I've particularly concentrated on new FirstRib Arch Linux firstrib_rootfs creation and most particularly on the firstrib build plugin for that: f_00Arch64-rc1.plug

As I've said, I've gone for a bigger more full-functioning desktop in this plugin build, though as usual, a user could easily cut it down to whatever they actually want. However, I'll be glad to get some tests/feedback on the big one... The final main squashfs size has a disk size of approx 2.5 to 3GB - I'll update that with exact size when current build completes. (So it is not small - I'm not trying to make it fit on a small disk space at all, and why would I [?] even my smallest usb has much more space than is required anyway... - but it is very efficient in terms of CPU and RAM usage, like all WeeDogs). However, prior to the mksquashfs process you do need space for the uncompressed initial build, so altogether I'd suggest making sure your install media has 8GB or more free, and best to install to an empty directory from which you wish to boot using grub4dos or similar. In my tests I'm currently building to directory /mnt/sda4/WeeDogArch and once the build is complete I simply use the following menu.lst stanza (and I am assuming an already working grub4dos setup on the boot media):

Code: Select all

title WeeDogArch
root (hd0,3)
kernel /WeeDogArch/vmlinuz-linux w_bootfrom=/mnt/sda4/WeeDogArch
initrd /WeeDogArch/initrd.gz
And that's all there is to it. Run the build scripts and then boot using above menu.lst lines (modified to the partition/bootfrom directory you actually install to. The result is a pretty much all working WeeDog Arch Linux desktop. I'm including a couple of small sfs files in the build, which get automatically included during system boot: one for gtkdialog (with a couple of needed extra libs) and one for a few small bash/gtkdialog utility apps (mainly my own though I plan on follow up sfs for others).

The system includes a very very simply wifi connect script (I haven't been using ethernet at all). That relies on wpa_supplicant and busybox udhcpc, using WPA2, which should often work. If your wifi router uses different protocols, that will need to be addressed later via feedback assistance. Arch Linux networkmanager package is also included in default f_00Arch64-rc1.plug build, though I haven't tried that yet. I'm also planning to try PeasyWifi with it (once I have another puppydog.sfs addon ready).

I'll provide a screenshot of the out-of-the-box (what you see is what the build produces without further tweaking) when I upload the build scripts themselves tomorrow (all going well without last minute hiccups...). Full build includes LibreOffice (with Java), and full Inkscape, Gimp, Firefox and more (including Graphical Package management or commandline using pacman commands). Using openbox, tint2, pcmanfm (filemanager and also for desktop pinbrd). And includes development environment (gcc etc and git) so no devx sfs required (easier/better in this case, I feel, just installed.

Oh, this WeeDog Arch also recognises my partner's Android phone, which she is happy about - seems reliable thus far too.

Next, I'll be making a Void Linux version of this same plugin. Much of that will be the same since most of the plugin is concerned with configuring openbox/tint2/pcmanfm to do what I want them to do... mainly per the Arch Linux Wiki instructions, with a lot of 'sed' manipulations to the default-provided configs to achieve the end look-and-feel I wanted on out-of-the-box build.

wiak

rockedge

#788 Post by rockedge »

Hello wiak,

Will test out the scripts as soon as they are available! Looking forward to test driving the desktop.

Interesting will be how it goes installing Zoneminder on Arch based repos.

will be cool.

wiak

#789 Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote:Hello wiak,

Will test out the scripts as soon as they are available! Looking forward to test driving the desktop.

Interesting will be how it goes installing Zoneminder on Arch based repos.

will be cool.
Sorry, was to be yesterday. Believe it or not a flock of geese flew into the high voltage pole just outside our house. I was working on computer outside at front door porch at the time and sudden "loud bang" with big white birds flashing by a few metres away screaming and terrible smoke and fumes (the wires had broken and fell to road below setting the tarmac alight). Needless to say, all electric power was gone. One goose lay unconscious at site of road, the others gone. Amazingly enough it came to an hour later and flew off screaming (but badly burnt on left leg and stomach - black flesh so I guess it died wherever it flew off to). Electric took all day from noon to nighttime to finally be restored.

Anyway, back on the FirstRib job - coming soon.

wiak

wiak

#790 Post by wiak »

Last edited by wiak on Wed 24 Jun 2020, 04:48, edited 1 time in total.

wiak

rc2 soon

#791 Post by wiak »

Just a general update on WeeDog developments.

Shortly to release rc2 version of WeeDogLinux Arch64.

Dedicated forum for feedback and main announcements and development details: https://weedoglinux.rockedge.org

Some would say a disadvantage of Arch is that it uses systemd. However, new WeeDog takes advantage of that to implement very simple login manager facility,

where by default the distro autologins straight to X (openbox/tint2/pcmanfm-pinboard) as root user,

but Start menu includes userswitch entry to immediately restart X as user weedog (or next time used toggles back to autologin root user straight into its openbox desktop X session),

or autologin(ON/OFF) entry, which toggles to ON or OFF for next restart of X session, so can login as other users prior to X starting or autologin as either root (which is the first boot default) or normal user weedog (who is in wheel group so can sudo without being asked to enter password).

Simple, but flexible and works. Flexible login capability built-in is good to have since WeeDog is a full multi-user system and gives users choice, without having to mess around with pseudo non-root users. Important, because some modern software is difficult to run as root user, and becoming more and more so in this security-conscious world.

The simple WeeDog-style login management could be done without systemd of course, but nice and easy to do in systemd since only needs absolutely minor change to relevant systemd service file (which itself is a very simple couple of lines text file) followed by a daemon-reload and restart of X (though I've automated all that, so you don't need to think about it).

WeeDog Arch includes simple connect to WPA/WPA2 wifi or ethernet facility, Android phone connectivity for file-sharing, pulseaudio/alsa that for most will work now straight out of the box with either root user autologin or normal user "weedog" autologin. By default it now comes with Arch repo Chromium browser, which can efficiently cast tab contents to chromecast devices (which is what I use on my TV...) but of course you can install Firefox if you prefer, or whatever...

Build is quite a full desktop (includes full inkscape, gimp, LibreOffice etc, plus yad, and gtkdialog/some pup dog utilities via small addon sfs files) so size of the final build in sfs frugal install form is 2.4GiB. Not small, but hardly big and full Arch pacman capabilities. However, runs very frugally in RAM with low low CPU usage and fast-as on my Intel Core2 Duo 2GB RAM laptop (from 2008).

Hopefully posting the new WeeDog build script (including these login enhancements) within next day. If you are interested, pop on over to rockedge's WeeDogLinux new forum, but wait till WeeDogLinux build scripts rc2 published - the new WeeDog Arch64-rc2 build significantly improves on the already pretty solid rc1 build.

I'm shortly planning to create a WeeDog Void Linux flavour (32bit and 64bit) with much the same desktop facilities and arrangement, but rolling Arch proving nice to use under WeeDog's very flexible overlay filesystem frugal install environment.

wiak

wiak

#792 Post by wiak »

Last edited by wiak on Wed 24 Jun 2020, 04:48, edited 1 time in total.

rockedge

#793 Post by rockedge »

To report I've just run a successful build of a WeeDog64-Void

./build_firstrib_rootfs_104.sh void rolling amd64 firstrib00-64-auto.plug
./build_weedog_initramfs05_s207.sh void
https://github.com/techrockedge/weedog-ZM

The plug file I used is not quite refined and could use some improvements but is still a good example of a plug file. The build was error free.

This WeeDogLinux Void version is running so well. Very good results of CPU loads at idle and CPU temps remain in the lower ranges and RAM usage at start up was 148 megs used.

I am booting using the uncompressed firstrib_rootfs after renaming it to 01firstrib_rootfs and the .sfs version to no-01firstrib_rootfs.sfs to test how updates get handled when upgrades to the Void kernel occur.

I am about to run a build of the latest Arch WeeDog build script and I am excited already by the WeeDog64-Arch performance that was created by the RC1 script. Which is running very similar to the Void version....fantastic numbers reported by htop and in stability.

The WeeDog64-Arch desktop is very fast and responsive and using the pacman package manager is easy to grasp and getting going to use.

visit https://weedoglinux.rockedge.org for more information.

Terry H

#794 Post by Terry H »

Wiak,

Great job, first build of default weeDogArch64 built and running. The build process took 16 minutes to complete, no issues on build. Other questions and comments will be entered on weedog forum. Thank you.

Terry H

#795 Post by Terry H »

Having problem logging into weedog forum, so am posting here.

My laptop has intel 7265 Wifi AC card. It uses the iwlwifi-7265D-29.ucode, which is identified as loaded in dmesg.

Does the network connection script attempt connection using WPA2 or WPA?

In Buster dog using peasywifi, I know it fails connection if attempting as WPA, it has to be WPA2. Checking the details of wpa_supplicant*.conf the SSID and passphrase are correct.

Assistance is greatly appreciated.

wiak

#796 Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote:To report I've just run a successful build of a WeeDog64-Void

./build_firstrib_rootfs_104.sh void rolling amd64 firstrib00-64-auto.plug
./build_weedog_initramfs05_s207.sh void
https://github.com/techrockedge/weedog-ZM

The plug file I used is not quite refined and could use some improvements but is still a good example of a plug file. The build was error free.

This WeeDogLinux Void version is running so well. Very good results of CPU loads at idle and CPU temps remain in the lower ranges and RAM usage at start up was 148 megs used.
I've been checking out your github site for this rockedge. Rest assured I remain keen and determined to get your zoneminder version running on some other machine I have. In fact that was my priority but in a brief experiment with creating first Arch WeeDog I had quick success so ended up concentrating on polishing that up for desktop use. Whilst that Arch config work is fresh in my brain I'll likely concentrate on any bug-fixing required prior to stable version 2.0.8 release. As I mentioned to you in PM there does seem to be some problem with registering on main WeeDog forum, at least as far as email confirmation is concerned (a bit like here on murga forum, which is surprising since WeeDog forum certainly has nice uptodate phpBB version).

Now that WeeDogLinux Arch64 rc2 is in nice running order, I will also spend some time on trying to produce a Void Linux version of same desktop config, since much of the work already done via that Arch development. But I have practical wish to have zoneminder system running, so not sure where my priorities will end up or if I'll try both tasks in parallel...

@TerryH: glad managed to sort out your wifi issues and thanks for your feedback more generally. Will try and get some better documentation prepared at some stage in terms of how weedog can be configured in different ways (e.g. the various optional boot scerios including copy2ram; having upper_changes persistence directory in RAM or in alternative directory or hard disk. How previous upper_changes folders can be made into a separate numbered sfs, which are then auto-loaded in layers and so on).

As I've said earlier, I'll leave main discussions to posts on weedoglinux.rockedge.org since best, I feel, to collect all feedback on main forum site, but many of the details of how weedog work (including interesting contributions/ideas from both rockedge and rufwood in particular are to be found in the earlier posts of this thread. A lot to read though, so will hopefully get that better documented eventually... Having said that, the latest WeeDogLinux Arch64 basically just works so technical details aren't particularly required by anyone just wanting to try it out, and no real reason for anyone to bother about underlying functionality unless they have an interest in that kind of stuff - will try to make it as user-friendly as possible anyway.

wiak

rockedge

#797 Post by rockedge »

Hello Terry H!

Are you still having problems logging in the the weedoglinux forum?

I was going to promote your position to allow posting without any restrictions.
This feature I have disabled after looking over whether or not it is needed for this forum, but I may have done something with your account accidentally.

I will look it over and see what I've done!

Terry H

#798 Post by Terry H »

rockedge wrote:Hello Terry H!

Are you still having problems logging in the the weedoglinux forum?

I was going to promote your position to allow posting without any restrictions.
This feature I have disabled after looking over whether or not it is needed for this forum, but I may have done something with your account accidentally.

I will look it over and see what I've done!
Access to the weedog forum is OK now. Just for a short time yesterday afternoon I had an issue. Logged in later it was OK, just logged in without issue.

Thanks

wiak

#799 Post by wiak »

Last edited by wiak on Wed 24 Jun 2020, 04:46, edited 1 time in total.

wiak

#800 Post by wiak »

Last edited by wiak on Wed 24 Jun 2020, 04:46, edited 1 time in total.