Puppy Linux Windows Installer - LICK v1.3.3 released

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
noryb009

#561 Post by noryb009 »

The cfg file is drive-agnostic. Each boot, it searches all your partitions for certain files associated with a puppy, which makes partition mapping a lot easier (especially from old versions of Windows). So the cfg file is expected here.

You might need to add

Code: Select all

insmod fat
to the beginning of the cfg, but I assumed that it is automatically loaded.

Another thing you can try is to look for the USB from the command line. If you press "c" at the menu, you can run

ls
to see what devices/partitions it can see. You can then try running commands like

ls (hd1,gpt2)/
for each of the partitions to see what is in each. If you can't find your USB, grub2/your UEFI might not be picking it up.

linux28

#562 Post by linux28 »

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=116615
/usr/bin/ld: ../liblick/liblick.so: undefined reference to `new_drive_node'
devx_dpupbuster64_8.0.sfs
Try to learn to compile, but there is an error. Who knows the solution? I want to learn to compile, such as this, thank you!

/usr/bin/ld: ../liblick/liblick.so: undefined reference to `new_drive_node'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [test/CMakeFiles/tests.dir/build.make:85:test/tests] error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:222:test/CMakeFiles/tests.dir/all] error 2
make: *** [Makefile:152:all] error 2

noryb009

#563 Post by noryb009 »

linux28: Did you specify a `-j` flag for `make`? Don't do that, there are some issues when you compile with multiple threads. Otherwise, you should be able to just run something like:

cd build
cmake ..
make
You will still get errors when compiling FLTK, but the tests and CLI will be compiled. Note that the Linux version of LICK doesn't really work, it's just for testing.

Compiling for Windows is a lot more complicated, and probably not a good way to learn about compiling. You would need to compile mingw-gcc, then some mingw libraries, mingw-cmake, fltk for Windows, then compile LICK. It's probably easier to use another distro that already has all the mingw stuff compiled. If you have that, then you should be able to do the same commands as above, but using `i686-w64-mingw32-cmake` (or whatever your mingw installation has).

Wognath

Recovery of EFI partition

#564 Post by Wognath »

Hello noryb009 and all,
Lick 1.2 is still my preferred way to boot Linux distros on a 2017 HP laptop. W10 came on an internal 32GB card; all my Linux installs are on a separate ssd. I manually add entries to lickgrub.cfg.

I recently had a disaster with the windows disk involving haste and gparted, so lost the ability to boot. Fortunately, I had a backup of the EFI partition (17MB tar.gz file) and recovery was fairly easy, although I don't claim to have got it the first try. For next time :?, here's the procedure that worked.

OLD is my copy of the working EFI partition, sda2 is the new EFI system partition made by the windows installer.
1) reinstall W from DVD, then boot linux from live flash drive
2) from OLD/ copy lick.cer and lickgrub.cfg to sda2/
3) copy OLD/EFI/LICK folder to sda2/EFI/
4) Rename sda2/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi to bootx64-orig.efi
5) from OLD/Boot, copy bootx64.efi, HashTool.efi, loader.efi to sda2/EFI/Boot/
6) rename sda2/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-backup.efi

lickgrub.cfg entry

menuentry "windows 10 " {
set root=(hd0,2)   
# or search --set=root --fs-uuid ####-#### 
chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw-backup.efi
}
Thanks again to noryb009 for walking me through this. I didn't expect to have to remember it almost 3 years later.

noryb009

#565 Post by noryb009 »

Hey Wognath,

It's good to hear that you still use LICK!

The "Nothing happens on reboot" menu item does something like steps 4-6. So after you reinstalled Windows, if you just reinstalled LICK and clicked that extra button, you would essentially be in the same spot :)

jake29

Error installing loader

#566 Post by jake29 »

After doing a new install of Windows 10 (Spring 2020 update) (Build: 19041.207) - I am getting an error during installation of bootloader.

Error installing loader!

noryb009

#567 Post by noryb009 »

Hey jake29,

Sorry for not replying earlier. I'm trying to reproduce the issue. I'll let you know if I can reproduce the issue, or if I'll require you to run something for me. In the mean time, let me know if you figure it out.

noryb009

#568 Post by noryb009 »

Hey jake29,

I haven't been able to reproduce the issue. I've added more tracing to the program, so hopefully this will point us towards the problem.

Please download this file, and try using it (it's built off of this branch, if you care). Hopefully it gives a more accurate error message.

If it doesn't, then open command prompt in admin mode and run something like:

lick-cli --trace logfile
Try installing the bootloader ("3" then enter), it should fail with the same message as the UI, then exit ("4" then enter). This should create a "logfile" file that should contain a bunch of text, please upload that.

DuMar

X not running

#569 Post by DuMar »

Good afternoon to you all,

Today I got my brand new Asus VivoBook with AMD ryzen3 256 + 1TB.

I'm pleased with it but also worried if it will run with Puppy Linux or not.
I decided to start using Lick, I tried it on the old laptop from my wife and it works out of te box.

So, I installed Lick and Bionic64 8.0 uefi. I got the bleu screen at the first startup and I made the correct steps. For moment I thought I had succes because it looked like the pup was starting up as normal. But almost at the end i got this message:

login[5521]: root login on 'tty1'
'/etc/X11/xorg.conf.udev' -> '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'

Xorg Wizard automatic has just run.
If you are reading this, then you are at the console without X running.
The usual thing now is to type 'xwin' to start X...

Typing xwin + enter gives not a single response.

Can somebody help me with this? Thank you.

noryb009

#570 Post by noryb009 »

Hi DuMar,

It sounds like that's an issue with the X configuration or installation, so you're better off asking in the beginner's help or users forums. There's no real difference between LICK and other install methods that should have an effect on X.

DuMar

#571 Post by DuMar »

Thank you noryb009,

I managed to get the machine going with the newest fossapup.

However I made a mistake by installing lick after a windows system repair without shutting the machine down first. Now here is no windows entry anymore in lickgrub. All the windows data is there. I can't start the machine anymore in windows.

This how my lickgrub.cfg looks.

## start section fossapup64-9.0.1
menuentry 'fossapup64 9.0.1' {
search --set=root --file /fossapup64-9.0.1/vmlinuz
linux /fossapup64-9.0.1/vmlinuz pfix=fsck psubdir=fossapup64-9.0.1
initrd /fossapup64-9.0.1/initrd.gz
}

menuentry 'fossapup64 9.0.1 (no save file)' {
search --set=root --file /fossapup64-9.0.1/vmlinuz
linux /fossapup64-9.0.1/vmlinuz pfix=ram savefile=none psubdir=fossapup64-9.0.1
initrd /fossapup64-9.0.1/initrd.gz
}
## end section fossapup64-9.0.1

Can somebody complete it for me with the part about windows that belongs to the top of this?

noryb009

#572 Post by noryb009 »

Hi again DuMar,

The default beginning to lickgrub.cfg can be found here. You should be able to add everything in that file before your current contents.

I'll try to figure out what went wrong. Lick should be safe to use whenever, it looks like you fell into an edge case that isn't handled correctly.

DuMar

#573 Post by DuMar »

Thank ypu noryb009,

That worked very well, I now have the option for windows in the menu. Not that I intend to use it a lot :lol:

I was not familiar with Lick, I use puppy since tahrpup. I always used frugal from USB stick. I'm very used to that and it works great.

But I think this is the future for Puppy Linux to be used on the newest machines. It's not possible anymore to make a machine like I have now boot from USB.

So suddenly I became a sort of testing Fossapup. I will continue in that topic and I hope that soon we have a nice and new and save new puppy member to work with.

Thnx for your help so far.

Kind regards, Marc

jake29

#574 Post by jake29 »

Hi noryb009.

My apologies for the delay in replying. I have since done another clean install of Windows and the issue did not occur this time. The origin of the problem - I believe - was due to the configuration of this PC. I have a boot SSD and a data HDD. I normally disconnect the HDD prior to installing Windows / Linux, but it appears on this occasion I had not done so. This resulted in Windows Boot Manager being installed on the HDD and I suspect was the cause of the error.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this.

Jake

DuMar

#575 Post by DuMar »

I installed Lick now on my other laptop, an Acer with windows 7.

When the machine boots I first have a choice between windows and Lick.
When I choose lick I get a new menu to make a choice between the installed Puppy versions.

I would like to change the first menu so it picks Lick after 5 seconds instead of windows.

How can I do that?

noryb009

#576 Post by noryb009 »

Jake, thanks for the info. It sounds like I haven't tested LICK with a configuration similar to yours, so one of the pre checks or checks during installation saw something it didn't expect, so everything was reversed. Unfortunately, finding and testing these more exotic setups is time consuming and usually doesn't benefit many people, so I have avoided doing much for them. However, your setup seems like it might be common, so I'll try to replicate it some time.

Marc: Follow this video, but look for the description of "LICK boot loader".

charlie6

no file C:/lickgrub.cfg and no dual boot on win10

#577 Post by charlie6 »

Hi noryb009,
This is my first trial to run a dual boot on a windows OS!

I have installed LICK-1.3.3.exe on win10 with UEFI setting (..I believe, as the "Legacy" label is greyed in the settings window);
then copied the xenialpup64-8.0.iso in C:/;
got xenialpup64-8.0 installed as explained here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 95#1013295;
everything looks to be at the right place ...

... BUT ... the PC keeps rebooting on win10.
and no file C:/lickgrub.cfg has been created.

I resist to apply the workaround under "Nothing happens on reboot" in the LICK gui, because I don't have any liveCD (and till now don't want to... :? ).

And prefer to ask you what to do to eventually fix it.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Charlie

charlie6

#578 Post by charlie6 »

Hi again,
here are some more details with screenshots following my above post:
1. win10 does not start anymore when BIOS setup to UEFI: "NO BOOTABLE DEVICES" comment; pressing F1 does nothing.
The bios setup does not display the boot sequence when set to UEFI (I dont know if something is missing...?)
2. win10 starts when BIOS setup to Legacy; from my previous post above, digging into the BIOS and the setup NIC entry to "enabled" (do not why it was set otherwise...!) allowed to get displayed the dual boot screen win10 versus LICK :D !
From win10 cmd.exe, the bcdedit command displays "Lick Boot loader" description (see one among the previous nooryb009's posts)
3. then choosing "LICK boot loader" results in an error message telling "windows could not start ....file: \pupldr.mbr could not be loaded ... errors"
4. choosing "Windows10" could start win10 (...if the BIOS was previosly set to Legacy). Then the LICK gui and the LICK command line tools are available.
(NB: the bionicpup64-8.0.iso laready has been copied to C:/ )
4.1. Using the LICK gui: doing File/Install Boot loader opens a dialog box "...want to install boot loader?" Answer "Yes" then...
4.2. ...displayed another box "Error installing loader! Error changing boot menu to Legacy"
question: does it mean that the boot has to be set to UEFI?
4.3. Using the LICK command line results in "Error installing the boor loader"

The boot loader cannot be created.
I suspect a possibly wrong win10 configuration as it won't boot UEFI; but no idea as now on how to fix it.

Any help on how to fix this will be very appreciated :-).
Thanks in advance therefore.
Charlie
Attachments
win10biosuefi.JPG
(26.9 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
win10_nobootdev.JPG
(17.47 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
win10biosLegacy.JPG
(29.48 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
win10-LICKscreen.JPG
(15.61 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
win10-pupldr.JPG
(47.33 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
LICKgui_instBoLo.png
(61.89 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
LICKgui_error_Legacy.png
(56.39 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
LICKcdline_error2.png
(10.06 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
LICKcdline_error2.png
(10.06 KiB) Downloaded 232 times

charlie6

#579 Post by charlie6 »

Hi again...
ooops....wrong 4.3.1. screenshot above :?
here is the right 4.3.1. screenshot

to mention: on the screenshot, the windows header tells:
C:/Program Files....\lick-cli.exe
and not
C:/Administrator\Program Files....\lick-cli.exe
Any matter?

Sorry therefore, Charlie
Attachments
LICKcdline_error1.png
(31.38 KiB) Downloaded 218 times

wiak

Re: Puppy Linux Windows Installer - LICK v1.3.3 released

#580 Post by wiak »

noryb009 wrote:LICK is developer-friendly: If you want to bring the power of LICK to your application or distribution, a command line utility and a library are available. LICK is licensed under the MIT license, so feel free to use it however you like.
Whilst I myself never use Windows and don't have any version on my machine I am interested to know if LICK could be easily modified to provide dual booting with Windows for WeeDogLinux, which does not come as an iso, but instead builds the initrd.gz and squashfs files required for booting in a directory along with its vmlinuz kernel.

https://weedoglinux.rockedge.org

I'm not asking you to look into this nory since I appreciate you only support Puppy distro and from iso only(?) but I just want to ascertain if you think it is reasonably possible for your scheme to work with other Linux (after some mods I guess) that is in the non-iso form I described. If so, I might look into your system further. Having said that, I wouldn't want to support its use in WeeDogLinux since I would be worried to break anyone's Windows install and get the blame for it! So many things could go wrong...

cheers,

wiak