windows putty + xming to get to puppy's graphical desktop

Booting, installing, newbie
mikprog

windows putty + xming to get to puppy's graphical desktop

#1 Post by mikprog »

Hi!

I have installed bionicpup32 8.0 with dropbear ssh server to the old notebook. After this I have installed putty and xming to my Windows 10 new notebook. Now I can run ssh terminal session and xterm session on my windows desktop using xming settings like

Code: Select all

WindowMode="MultiWindow" ClientMode="StartProgram" Program="xterm"
That's works good!

I expected to launch graphical desktop session in same way I started xterm session. I.e. by creating xming configuration like:

WindowMode="MultiWindow" ClientMode="StartProgram" Program="xwin"
But it is not work. Is there other way to configure puppy dropbear + xming and putty on windows to have putty graphical desktop session on windows machine?

P.S. What command must be used in xterm to reboot/shutdown puppy remotely?
[Solved]

Use wmrestart to reboot and wmpoweroff to shut down. 
actually wmrestart does not work. wmreboot do!

enrique

Re: windows putty + xming to get to puppy's graphical desktop

#2 Post by enrique »

mikprog
I hope you get what you looking for and some one here jump and help. But in all recent post of I seen, forum users always mention xrdp to control Puppy from Windows.

Once I did offered Linux default "ssh X" advice and I was question. But you are far ahead as you do have it working. Good job.

I am not much of help neither as I am a user of "ssh X" but I used it from a Puppy Linux to remotely control other Puppy Linux. So best I can do point to an example

https://www.ictforce.be/2017/tool-xming/
but that one is for a xfce4-session. If I have some time latter I may try with bionic.

Now if you are a Linux user "ssh X" is all what you need as you know most of the aps in the OS. If you do not, this is what I suggest. Call your File Manager, I like "pcmanfm &" you may use "rox &", Then create a Bookmark to "/usr/share/applications". Then just by opening this folder you can recall any of your installed apps.

enrique

Edit. I am happy that you solved

rockedge

#3 Post by rockedge »

All I do to run a Puppy from a Windows machine is set up dropbear in the Puppy.
pUTTY and XMING on the WIndows machine.

In the Puppy set up the dropbear keys

In Windows I simply start XMING and pUtty and setup the config in pUTTY, for connecting so X11 forwarded is enabled. It is in the putty settings in the menu under

Category->SSH->Auth->X11

enable that and save the profile and start a connection to the puppy then in that console (terminal) you can run child processes of terminals with 'xterm &' and run 'rox' for the file manager or install midnight commander and run that remotely.

But to run graphical interfaces from Puppy on Windows with putty and xming is pretty straightforward

trapster

#4 Post by trapster »

Make sure /etc/ssh/ssh_config file has this:

ForwardX11 yes

uncommented
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

rockedge

#5 Post by rockedge »

hello trapster!

good point.....but if he is using dropbear I don't think he will need to add the line

mikprog

#6 Post by mikprog »

Thank you guys for efforts. But this topic about How to run puppy desktop (jwm) in remote session. I need not a single graphic interface app, but I need hole JWM desktop.

rockedge

#7 Post by rockedge »

do all the same things in Windows......start XMING connect with putty and in the terminal run ->

jwm &
this will start the jwm widow manager in Windows

mikprog

#8 Post by mikprog »

Thank you rockedge. Here is result

Xming started on windows machine. Putty tty session launched and I logged in

# jwm &
[1] 8963
# JWM: error: display is already managed

Then nothing happens for a long time so I decide to hit Enter

[1]+  Done(1)                
# 
JWM want not working

jamesbond

#9 Post by jamesbond »

mikprog:

It has been years since I last used Xming. I hope the following will help:
1. DO NOT USE "MultiWindow". Use either "One-window" or "fullscreen".
2. The program that you want to start is "/root/.xinitrc"

Good luck.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

mikprog

#10 Post by mikprog »

Bingo! Great thanks to jamesbond!
JWM is started and shows dark desktop, top toolbar, bottom status bar etc. Menu navigation works, top toolbar buttons are clickable. Not every app launched from menu. Top toolbar do not launch any app at all. Reason is environment variables - they values are not match to values in regular local puppy session (locale, path, library, etc.). It seems /etc/profile does not processed at session start. So I decide to
1. Setup xming fullscreen with Start no client. And launch it.
2. Have run putty ssh tty session and issue ./.xinitrc command from putty tty interface.
So it works fine! Environment vars are same to my local values and remote puppy desktop session is exactly same as local! Thanks again to jamesbond for pushing me to right way!

Now I wish to fine tune this solution.
1. pMount is launching at local puppy desktop every time I run remote .xinitrc. On local puppy desktop appeared second sr0 icon! I wonder why emulated cd from my remote notebook appeared on local puppy desktop with the same name as local puppy cd?
2. Probably it is needed to create shell script (for example jwmremote) in my puppy /root directory to properly initialize environment variables and then start .xinitrc. This script I would place in Start program parameter of xming config