Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

READ-ONLY-MODE: PLEASE DO NOT POST NEW STUFF!
  New Forum: http://forum.puppylinux.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 14 Aug 2020, 06:15
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Vivaldi-portable - for 'modern' Puppies
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 3 of 5 [74 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
WoodLark

PostPosted: Sat 28 Mar 2020, 07:11    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh:

I tried out Vivaldi-portable. The is a lot to like about Vivaldi. However, I encountered one really strange deal breaker.

The UI of Vivaldi is different from what I am used to, but I could accept that. When I installed Vivaldi-portable, it offered to import my setting from Firefox, and appeared to do so without incident. I set Vivaldi up to automatically login to saved sites. However, (this is bizarre) it entered the wrong passwords when I tried to login to some of the saved sites. I have never seen this kind of behavior before, and I have never seen any reports of anyone else having such an experience.

You are correct that browsers are a very personal thing:

I started out many years ago using Netscape, so I am somewhat bias toward Mozilla based browsers.

My personal favorite is Seamonkey. However, the latest versions will not accept some of the plugins that I like to use.

Pale Moon suffers from the same issue, and my bank will not accept logins from Pale Moon even if I try to fool them by changing the user agent..

I tried both Chromium and Chrome, but did not like either one.

In the end, I usually end up returning to Firefox event though I am not particularly fond of the direction the user interface has been going .

Sorry, I just had to vent!
mmmrr

PostPosted: Sat 04 Apr 2020, 02:21    Post subject:  

hello,

google drive says...

Sorry, the file you have requested does not exist.

Make sure that you have the correct URL and that the file exists.

wanted to try vivaldi64 portable on precisepup 571

cheers, mm
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 04 Apr 2020, 06:04    Post subject:  

mmmrr wrote:
hello,

google drive says...

Sorry, the file you have requested does not exist.

Make sure that you have the correct URL and that the file exists.

wanted to try vivaldi64 portable on precisepup 571

cheers, mm

@ mmmrr:-

Sorry about that. I did some re-organising in my Google Drive, and had to reset a number of links. Obviously, this one must have snuck 'under the radar'.....and got 'forgotten'.

All fixed now; you'll find the correct link in post # 1.

-----------------------------------

Hang on, hang on. Precise 571 is a 32-bit Puppy. You can't run 64-bit applications under a 32-bit OS, unless the tech world has drastically changed in ways I'm not aware of...??!?

Mike. Wink

watchdog

PostPosted: Sat 04 Apr 2020, 10:39    Post subject:  

There is a Vivaldi-portable 32 bit:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1052054#1052054

It does not start in Precise light 5.7.2 for missing extralibs. I was not able to find a working libatk-bridge-2.0 32 bit for precise.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 04 Apr 2020, 12:21    Post subject:  

watchdog wrote:
There is a Vivaldi-portable 32 bit:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1052054#1052054

It does not start in Precise light 5.7.2 for missing extralibs. I was not able to find a working libatk-bridge-2.0 32 bit for precise.

@ watchdog:-

Couple here you could try. I rescued one from my old 571 save-file; the other, a newer version from DPup 'Stretch', where I'm running 32-bit Vivaldi ATM.....

Mike. Wink
lib-atkbridge2-stretch.tar.gz
Description  Lib-atkbridge 2 from Stretch
gz

Download 
Filename  lib-atkbridge2-stretch.tar.gz 
Filesize  67.53 KB 
Downloaded  65 Time(s) 
lib-atkbridge2-571.tar.gz
Description  Lib-atkbridge 2 from Precise 571
gz

Download 
Filename  lib-atkbridge2-571.tar.gz 
Filesize  53.83 KB 
Downloaded  64 Time(s) 

watchdog

PostPosted: Sat 04 Apr 2020, 13:23    Post subject:  

Code:
# cd /mnt/home/Vivaldi-portable_32
# ./LAUNCH
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/Vivaldi-portable_32/vivaldi/vivaldi-pup: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libatk-bridge-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: atspi_set_main_context
#

Bad news. Precise has an old dbus-1 which should be upgraded for Vivaldi to work. I have already tried libatk-bridge-2.0 from Stretch and I had a symbol error about dbus-1. I have tried to compile libatk-bridge-2.0 from source but it requires a later dbus-1.
mmmrr

PostPosted: Sat 04 Apr 2020, 18:35    Post subject:  

oops, hello mike, thanks

checked with grep etc, have 64bit cpu

checked with uname etc have 32bit operating system

remembered that when i was given this computer,
4 or 5 years ago, it was running a 64bit os on an imac.
i'm a long time puppy fan , the mac os did not appeal,
used precise pup 571 on a dvd while trying to find a 64bit
puppy that would boot / run the way i liked. after a while
i realised that the 32bit pup on the dvd was well suited to
me, so i installed it.

i'll take a look at portable 32bit vivaldi and opera.

cheers, mm
jrb

PostPosted: Sat 04 Apr 2020, 18:57    Post subject:  

watchdog wrote:
Code:
# ./LAUNCH
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/Vivaldi-portable_32/vivaldi/vivaldi-pup: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libatk-bridge-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: atspi_set_main_context
#

Bad news. Precise has an old dbus-1 which should be upgraded for Vivaldi to work. I have already tried libatk-bridge-2.0 from Stretch and I had a symbol error about dbus-1. I have tried to compile libatk-bridge-2.0 from source but it requires a later dbus-1.
Hi watchdog, The latest precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.3.iso only needs these libs to run Vivaldi, portable or otherwise. I had them linked in from Palemoon when I did the 3rd update and only discovered yesterday. libatk-bridge in Precise-light is from Tahr-605 and requires fewer dependencies than more modern ones.

I am about to post precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0.iso___precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.4.iso.delta which will update the original ISO and contains everything needed to run Vivaldi (I'm posting from it now with no savefile) and other Chromium based browsers.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 04 Apr 2020, 19:41    Post subject:  

watchdog wrote:
Code:
# ./LAUNCH
#

Mm-hm. D'you remember back to that version of dbus from Debian Jessie (or was it Wheezy) that you offered me a couple of years ago when I was attempting to get the newer Thunderbird 60 running? Is that one too old?

Here's an 'assortment pack' of libdbus-1's from a few various Pups; your Jessie/Wheezy one, Tahr's, Xenial's, Stretch's, and Slacko 6.3.2. Give 'em a try, see if they're of any use, mate.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/184zRZHb7nFgymHBGeSqDIq_jVMgTLFFl/view?usp=sharing

Mike. Wink

watchdog

PostPosted: Sat 04 Apr 2020, 21:40    Post subject:  

jrb wrote:

I am about to post precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0.iso___precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.4.iso.delta which will update the original ISO and contains everything needed to run Vivaldi (I'm posting from it now with no savefile) and other Chromium based browsers.

I can confirm: precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.4 run Vivaldi-portable_32.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 27 Apr 2020, 16:07    Post subject: New release....  

Evening, kiddiwinks.

Now then; the Vivaldi '3-series' was released around the middle of last week. So; here, for your perusal and enjoyment, are 32- and 64-bit 'portables' of Vivaldi 3.0.1874.32.

Same usage instructions as always. Download, unzip; place the 'Vivaldi-portable' directory anywhere you like. Click to open, click on 'LAUNCH' to fire 'er up....

-----------------------------------------------

For anyone who's interested, you can find them here:-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fL7CninZ3oar1_bq5O4mmI53yYKP87fM?usp=sharing

MD5s:-

32-bit - becb8b823aa053e8bd25287bcced3f75

64-bit - d2930d75dc9090243e06069dfe5824bb

Navigate through and help yourselves to the one you want. Widevine is fully-functional, so NetFlix, Hulu, Spotify, etc., are all on the menu.

----------------------------------------------

Thanks go to all who've assisted during the development of these portable-browsers. Y'all know who you are..!

Enjoy.

Mike. Wink

MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Tue 28 Apr 2020, 00:17    Post subject: Re: New release....  

Mike Walsh wrote:
Same usage instructions as always. Download, unzip; place the 'Vivaldi-portable' directory anywhere you like. Click to open, click on 'LAUNCH' to fire 'er up....

1) Downloaded 32bit version
2) Unzipped
3) Changed LAUNCH to AppRun to turn the folder into a clickable ROX Application Directory
4) Ran AppRun and received an error:
Code:
# /opt/Vivaldi-portable/AppRun
/opt/Vivaldi-portable/vivaldi/vivaldi-pup: error while loading shared libraries: libxcb-dri3.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I stole following libs requested by Vivaldi from Dpup:
libxcb-dri3.so.0
libatk-bridge-2.0.so.0
libatspi.so.0
libgbm.so.1
libgdk-3.so.0
libgtk-3.so.0
libwayland-client.so.0

I got stuck again when Vivaldi told me that it can't find libwayland-client.so.0 though I had placed it into Vivaldi's lib folder

Maybe I misunderstood what you mean by "portable".
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 28 Apr 2020, 15:17    Post subject:  

@ Mochi:-

Vivaldi seems to use the internal 'lib' directory in a different way to that which I've employed in other Blink-based browsers. It seems to be just for the built-in libffmpeg; hence, I didn't set the wrapper script to search the 'lib' directory for dependencies when I modified it.

I'm assuming you've added those deps from DPup into the 'lib' directory, alongside the native libffmpeg. If that's the case, change the vivaldi-pup wrapper-script from

Quote:
#!/bin/sh
#
# Wrapper-script to launch Vivaldi browser - Mike Walsh © Feb 2020 (Fred; thanks for odd bits!)
#
HERE="$(dirname "$(readlink -f "$0")")"
#
mkdir "$HERE/PROFILE" 2> /dev/null
#
exec -a "$0" "$HERE/vivaldi-bin" "$@" --no-sandbox --user-data-dir=$HERE/PROFILE --ppapi-flash-path=$HERE/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so --disable-infobars "$@"

.....to:-

Quote:
#!/bin/sh
#
# Wrapper-script to launch Vivaldi browser - Mike Walsh © Feb 2020 (Fred; thanks for odd bits!)
#
HERE="$(dirname "$(readlink -f "$0")")"
#
mkdir "$HERE/PROFILE" 2> /dev/null
#
# Try to find libraries, etc.
#
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HERE/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
#

exec -a "$0" "$HERE/vivaldi-bin" "$@" --no-sandbox --user-data-dir=$HERE/PROFILE --ppapi-flash-path=$HERE/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so --disable-infobars "$@"

.....by adding the bit I've highlighted in red. That should tell Vivaldi to look in /lib for what you've added.

Let me know what happens, please. That's a direct crib from the 32-bit Iron 'portable' wrapper-script, and I've had reports from other folks that it works there. 'Feedback' is good.....and constructive criticism is appreciated.

Mike. Wink

tallboy

PostPosted: Tue 28 Apr 2020, 16:19    Post subject:  

I tried to download and run the latest ordinary Vivaldi in my tahr6.0.6-64.bit. It would not install, I could not even open the .deb package to find what's inside. I tried to search for 'dependencies' in the Vivaldi help pages, no result. As I told them in a message, what really pisses me off is that although half the staff are norwegians, based in the Norway headquarters, they have no norwegian website or help pages. I would really like to have tested the built-in notes and screenshot capabilities. But no. Besides, I have blocked most Google addresses in /etc/hosts, so it is too much work to download the 'portable', Mike.
I guess I'll stay with PaleMoon.

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 28 Apr 2020, 18:55    Post subject:  

@ tallboy:-

How about Mediafire, Olaf.....your hosts file OK with them? I can soon upload to there, if you want to give it a try. No skin off my nose, mate.....and with our new high-speed connection, it takes but seconds now, compared to the minutes it used to take..!

Entirely up to you. You're more likely to have luck with it than Mochi; although he runs what was my all-time favourite Puppy, Slacko 560, I can no longer run it, or try things out/test stuff in it. This new UEFI hardware won't have it, and refuses point-blank to boot anything prior to when Puppies started getting outfitted with this efi.img file.....around the start of the 6-series, with Tahrpup. Not for want of trying, either..!

Mike. Wink

Page 3 of 5 [74 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: