Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

READ-ONLY-MODE: PLEASE DO NOT POST NEW STUFF!
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile       

The time now is Tue 11 Aug 2020, 05:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
BusterDog + build system (no-systemd)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 17 of 24 [360 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, ..., 22, 23, 24 Next
Author Message
ras

Joined: 30 Oct 2019
Posts: 100

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar 2020, 18:09    Post subject:  

Fred,
I will try a build with the configuration you suggested, and report back in more detail if I experience failure again.
thanks for the link also. It may be a while until I find a decent Internet connection to use, as the pandemic has created some inconveniences here.

_________________
RAS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ally


Joined: 19 May 2012
Posts: 1983
Location: lincoln, uk

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar 2020, 07:03    Post subject:  

a write up on FOSS appeared on my bed time reading news feed:

https://itsfoss.com/debiandog/

Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 4481
Location: holland

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar 2020, 19:20    Post subject:  

ally wrote:
a write up on FOSS appeared on my bed time reading news feed:

https://itsfoss.com/debiandog/

Smile


Thanks Ally. All the best !

Fred

_________________
Dog Linux website
Tinylinux blog by wiak
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
wiak

Joined: 11 Dec 2007
Posts: 2075
Location: not Bulgaria

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar 2020, 21:31    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
ally wrote:
a write up on FOSS appeared on my bed time reading news feed:

https://itsfoss.com/debiandog/

Smile


Thanks Ally. All the best !

Fred


It is a rather dumb review though, since the way it is presented, with initial emphasis on the earliest DebianDog ever produced (way back in 2013!) tends to suggest that the Dogs are mainly out of date and shouldn't be used as main system. Imagine if Debian itself was presented in the same way, with Jessie described in detail to start things off and only adding a little bit extra about the following developments as the review came to a conclusion!

Dog and Dog-subsystem-related developer(s) in fact do a perfectly good job of keeping up with current upstream OS releases (much like Puppy does in fact).

wiak

_________________
WeeDogLinux forum: https://weedoglinux.rockedge.org/viewforum.php?f=4
Tiny Linux Blog: https://www.tinylinux.info/
Check Firmware: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1022797
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
enrique

Joined: 09 Nov 2019
Posts: 601
Location: Planet Earth

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar 2020, 23:23    Post subject:  

Agreed with wiak, it is a "dumb review". BusterDog & StretchDog are full capable Debian distros. He should look at the fantastic job fredx181 and rcrsn51 done to even improve those. And what about support!. What Linux distro have professionals like the one we have here that are willing to help you when we need them? I am a happy full time Debian Dog user. Thanks my good friends.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
backi

Joined: 27 Feb 2011
Posts: 2007
Location: GERMANY

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar 2020, 04:51    Post subject:  

All I can do.......is fully agree ...... Very Happy
The (Debian,Ubuntu) "Dogs" are the "Top of the Pop`s" .Truly "State of the Art".
I am a fully satisfied Customer.
Thanks ...all you Guys for that.......
Best Thing since sliced Bread !Who could ask for more .

Puppy Linux Forum .....more than just Linux.
Meeting of the "Spirits" .....very friendly and helpful.....
Keep on rocking !
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 4481
Location: holland

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar 2020, 06:46    Post subject:  

Well, I have to agree too, but I'd rather call the review very incomplete.
I can imagine though that it's difficult to write a short review by someone who is not "insider"(and maybe because there are so many Dog variants).
Clearly the author didn't test much and didn't follow some of the threads here on murga-linux, otherwise he would have mentioned the great advantages, e.g. SFS loading, easy remastering, choice to save the session or not, etc...
Fact is that documentation and/or FAQ is pretty hard to find (very much is burried in the threads here, which is a pity).
Don't understand why the author wrote "I wouldn’t really advise to use it on your main computer." Maybe has to do with security (the 'login as root' thing) ?
Rather easy to turn it into a multi-user OS and login as normal user, but (again) not very well documented.
I do use it as main OS (mostly StretchDog) (I'm an "insider" of course Smile), but for a newbie (or someone used to e.g. Mint or Ubuntu), I'd say it could be a real challenge.

Btw, I'm busy these days with a Dog variant (another one Rolling Eyes ) based on Sid (unstable), not sure if there's any interest, but anyway I will share ISO's probably in the near future.
In fact Sid is not very suitable for a live system because of the many updates available (almost every day).
Workaround is a "static" repository (from snapshot.debian.org) with no updates available but with the option to change the date to recent (or change to standard Sid repo). Not sure about the name yet, maybe "Sidog"
Anyone interested or have opinion / tips ?

Fred

_________________
Dog Linux website
Tinylinux blog by wiak
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
backi

Joined: 27 Feb 2011
Posts: 2007
Location: GERMANY

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar 2020, 07:23    Post subject:  

Fred wrote:
Quote:
Fact is that documentation and/or FAQ is pretty hard to find (very much is burried in the threads here, which is a pity).

Sure that is the main Flaw ....Newbies possibly will be deterred by this.
So the full Potential of those amazing Projects will unfortunately not recognized.
Any Chance to solve this Dilemma ?
On the other Side ....Fred is doing the main Work almost alone.
Regards!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 13129
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar 2020, 08:33    Post subject:  

backi wrote:
Fred wrote:
Quote:
Fact is that documentation and/or FAQ is pretty hard to find (very much is burried in the threads here, which is a pity).

Sure that is the main Flaw ....Newbies possibly will be deterred by this.
So the full Potential of those amazing Projects will unfortunately not recognized. Any Chance to solve this Dilemma ?

Like here?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
backi

Joined: 27 Feb 2011
Posts: 2007
Location: GERMANY

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar 2020, 11:33    Post subject:  

Hi rcrsn51!
I can`t anyway use Buster- Dogs because of Heat Problems they are causing to my Machine.Same for every "Buster" Puppy.Could not find any Solution until now.
Not so with Debian Stretches or Ubuntu (Puppies or Dogs) .
Meanwhile i didn`t use the older Pre-Buster Dogs(Stretch) for a longer Time now (main Reason i could not use newest Smtube- Smplayer the Way i can use the newest Versions in Xenial/Bionic Dogs) so i overlooked this Manual completely.
But thanks for the Hint.

Regards!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
enrique

Joined: 09 Nov 2019
Posts: 601
Location: Planet Earth

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar 2020, 13:37    Post subject:  

backi wrote:
...Buster- Dogs because of Heat Problems
...Not so with Debian Stretches or Ubuntu (Puppies or Dogs)...

"Heat Problems", that is weird.
I have a HP DV7 Pavilion with a nice I7 old core. Normally a BusterDog64 user. But I had test most of the Debian version. My buster is the OpenBox made with the mklive-buster. Yes I like to start clean and add only the Apps I do use. For me all those extra programs just confuse me when I use the menu.

The desktop Conky shows my CPU most of the time at 3%. some times Palemoon will force it to go 5%. The laptop is as cold as it can get, Fan for the most part is OFF.

You need to use your Task Manager to find out what is the application that is using your CPU time.

backi wrote:
...Meanwhile i didn`t use the older Pre-Buster Dogs(Stretch) for a longer Time now (main Reason i could not use newest Smtube- Smplayer ...


I disagree with you analysis, You can not judge the WHOLE distro because you do not like an optional application. You can easily delete that app and install what ever you prefer.

So try the mklive-buster. It will take 15 minutes to build. The only cost is the Internet use. I am not sure but it is 300-400 MB of packages. Good news it it build a local repository. Next time you build it takes almost no data in ONLY 5 minutes.. Try that. Then let us know how you PC do. Then use task manager if you still have any issue.

EDIT:
I forgot. I have not test it. Well I will now. But a good reference I bet you is rcrsn51's The Debian-Stretch-Live Starter Kit. Hoops that is stretch. I winder if there is a bare Buster published!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
backi

Joined: 27 Feb 2011
Posts: 2007
Location: GERMANY

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar 2020, 14:06    Post subject:  

Hi enrique !
Thanks for Advice man....
Quote:
So try the mklive-buster.

Using Dell Precision M6600.
I did ......but no Chance high Temperatures still persists.....gave up on the "Buster" Series .Seems i am the only one.
I have an older Notebook .....the "Busters" work flawless on it.
But don't worry for me Man.......
Using Bionic or Xenial Dog ....and i am a happy Camper.

Best Wishes !
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ras

Joined: 30 Oct 2019
Posts: 100

PostPosted: Wed 25 Mar 2020, 20:28    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
ras wrote:
I have tried to build a busterdog with mklive-buster64 without frisbee, but it fails. (yes, I saw the note that says this is not recommended, and presume it is the cause for the failure)


What exactly fails ? For me it builds ok when I specify network-manager-gnome (and gnome-keyring) instead of frisbee (or peasywifi) on the "Base install 2" section:
Code:
yad gtkdialog obshutdown pup-volume-monitor network-manager-gnome gnome-keyring ... ... ...


For installing the backports kernel (you may have seen, but mentioning just in case):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1048806#1048806

Fred


Hi Fred

I got a chance to try mklive-buster64 again and it worked well this time with the package substitutions you mentioned.

I also was able to build the backports kernel with upgrade-kernel-buster-bpo_1.0.0_all.deb. swapped out the kernel and it seems to works fine.

I was not able to install wireguard as apt could not find it. I tried to add the repo I found it in last time but that did not work either. I assume the backports do not have access to all repos?

Since I have a working install created with the debian method of using backports, I thought that remaster cow would be a way to incorporate my /changes into a sguashfs and let me start over with a new /changes. The script seems to create the squashfs and exit clean, but the squashfs is only about 10% the size of the /changes it is created from and some things work but wireguard cannot be found when the new module is loaded. Perhaps I am trying to use remastercow for something other than it's intended purpose?

My goal is to have the wireguard install and other browsing related configurations in a readonly filesystem. What course of action or other options could you recommend?

Thanks
Bob

_________________
RAS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 4481
Location: holland

PostPosted: Thu 26 Mar 2020, 18:58    Post subject:  

Hi Bob, before I reply in more details can you let me better understand what it is that you need exactly (and more about what you did), so I can try to reproduce what you did), I must say that I dont't know anything about wireguard.
For example, do you need the wireguard kernel module ?
I think linux-headers package (matching the kernel you booted with) needs to be installed for that (for dkms install of wireguard.ko)
Did you activate the buster-backports repo ? (needed for for installing wireguard, I think)

All the best,

Fred

_________________
Dog Linux website
Tinylinux blog by wiak
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
tommy

Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Posts: 133
Location: Italy

PostPosted: Fri 27 Mar 2020, 14:23    Post subject:  

Wonderful distribution, complete and easy to use, apt-get works as expected.
Also the dark look is elegant and relaxing to the eyes.

Touchpad tapping is not working on my Hp notebook, and Flsynclient is missing. How to enable tapping?
/etc/X11/xorg.conf isn't there as in other Puppies. Do I have to install flsynclient or is there a workaround?
Thank you!

ps: I'm using the 32bit version.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 17 of 24 [360 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, ..., 22, 23, 24 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1139s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0479s) ][ GZIP on ]