remove USB pendrive after System boot

Using applications, configuring, problems
puppylinuxw

remove USB pendrive after System boot

#1 Post by puppylinuxw »

Hi all!
I tried to remove UsB Pendrive after booting. Puppy run well without pendrive cause Puppy is loadet in ram drive.
Ist a nice feature cause u can run Puppy on different PC at same time from 1 USB Pendrive!

But at the time Puppy want backup in dev_save the system freeze.
Is it possible to kill this backup daemon in running Puppy?

Thanks and Greetings

puppylinuxw

howto remove pendrive in running Puppy

#2 Post by puppylinuxw »

i try again make my question clear in more simple words:
What i have to do if i want remove usb pendrive (of which i bootet from) in Running puppy?

Hope that now my question is a little bit more clear.

Thanks and Greetings

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

there is a program called savepuppyd that runs in the background as a daemon process ... that is probably what is trying to save to the usb drive every 10 minutes

you could kill it by putting something like this in .xinitrc (before exec $CURRENTWM)

killall savepuppyd

but i don't know what effects that would have on your system

(it does not seem necessary for a frugal install on a hard drive)

orbisvicis

#4 Post by orbisvicis »

This is a very good question, some people don't always want to save; wastes space and time, at least if running from usb.

Now perhaps a script could be written asking you every shutdown whether you want to write to the save file, if GuestToo's method disables saving after shutdown as well.

orbisvicis

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

i'm not sure what savepuppyd does ... it may only write changes to the usb drive every 10 minutes, and nothing else ... it may not affect the shutdown at all

or it might ... i don't know, i haven't looked closely at the code in the script

puppylinuxw

the risk with pup_save daemon

#6 Post by puppylinuxw »

If i am in hurry and have nothing to save I just pull out the USB device, reset the PC and that was it. I believe most people often use Puppy come to that behaviour.

But there is some risk with that behaviour.

One time i did not recognize that Puppy just startet writing to Pup_save the moment i pulled out the USB device The Result was, that there was nothing left on device! Neither a Puppy nor a Partition.

So as a suguestion it would be nice too, if Puppy warn you when starting writing to Pup_save.

bostonvaulter

#7 Post by bostonvaulter »

I personally don't like the idea of puppy asking you before it automatically saves. It would just be annoying being asked every 30 min if I want to automatically save.

I think it would be better to be able to unmount the usb stick. Currently in MUT and Pmount, you are unable to unmount the main usb stick. It would be handy if when you click on it, it would first ask you if you are sure and list the benefits/drawbacks and then run a script to unmount it and stop saving during the session and at shutdown.

Would there be any issues with this? I know pup_save.2fs is only mounted so you wouldn't be able to access it anymore. Maybe it would only work with a small save file or if you don't use a save file.

just my 2 cents,
Jason

raffy

two aspects

#8 Post by raffy »

There are two aspects of this:

1. Puppy should be loaded to RAM completely - your RAM should be at least 128 MB (160 MB would most probably be it);

2. You should have no save file in the USB flash (remove pup_save from it in another PC or OS).

If these are both satisfied, you will see in MUT that the USB is not mounted. Therefore you can remove the USB flash.

Trim or expand your Puppy to your liking then remaster so that you will have exactly the programs that you want to use. Burning is not needed - just copy the new pup_xxx.sfs (xxx = Puppy version) to overwrite the old one in the USB flash (make a backup first, of course).
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

sccat

Re: two aspects

#9 Post by sccat »

raffy wrote:There are two aspects of this:

1. Puppy should be loaded to RAM completely - your RAM should be at least 128 MB (160 MB would most probably be it);

2. You should have no save file in the USB flash (remove pup_save from it in another PC or OS).

If these are both satisfied, you will see in MUT that the USB is not mounted. Therefore you can remove the USB flash.

Trim or expand your Puppy to your liking then remaster so that you will have exactly the programs that you want to use. Burning is not needed - just copy the new pup_xxx.sfs (xxx = Puppy version) to overwrite the old one in the USB flash (make a backup first, of course).
Thanks.

orbisvicis

#10 Post by orbisvicis »

Hey, good idea, you can just overwrite the puppy_214.sfs instead of reburning.

Also a script at shutdown asking if you want to save your 'session' was more along the lines of what I was going for. (like the first time you poweroff puppy) I think saving at shutdown happens b/c at shutoff I see these lines: "merging pup_ro1 to pup_save" (something like that)

@raffy
Does swap count? I've met all your requirements and every ten minutes or so puppy would freeze as though it was trying to write to that non-existant usb drive. Also I thought then when you ran from usb it was completely in ram. Yes, I concur, it would then be a good idea to be able to unmount the usb drive and switch to completely running in ram.

Also, how do you see all running processes from terminal?

thanks,
orbisvicis

bostonvaulter

#11 Post by bostonvaulter »

if you have a pup_save.2fs file I don't think that will ever be loaded into ram. yeah your save file is saved automatically at shutdown. have you tried killing savepuppyd?

to see all running processes from the terminal do 'ps -s'

if you want to kill a process use 'kill pid' where pid is the process id, for my savepuppyd i would do 'kill 2397'. the pid is the first column.

hope this helps.

Maybe it would be more feasible to umnount the pup_save.2fs file with aufs, does anyone know if it would work?

Jason
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/BostonVaulter/avatar/puppybar.png[/img]