BusterDog + build system (no-systemd)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
ras

#241 Post by ras »

Fred,
I will try a build with the configuration you suggested, and report back in more detail if I experience failure again.
thanks for the link also. It may be a while until I find a decent Internet connection to use, as the pandemic has created some inconveniences here.
RAS

ally

#242 Post by ally »

a write up on FOSS appeared on my bed time reading news feed:

https://itsfoss.com/debiandog/

:)

fredx181

#243 Post by fredx181 »

ally wrote:a write up on FOSS appeared on my bed time reading news feed:

Thanks Ally. All the best !

Fred

wiak

#244 Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote:
ally wrote:a write up on FOSS appeared on my bed time reading news feed:

Thanks Ally. All the best !

Fred
It is a rather dumb review though, since the way it is presented, with initial emphasis on the earliest DebianDog ever produced (way back in 2013!) tends to suggest that the Dogs are mainly out of date and shouldn't be used as main system. Imagine if Debian itself was presented in the same way, with Jessie described in detail to start things off and only adding a little bit extra about the following developments as the review came to a conclusion!

Dog and Dog-subsystem-related developer(s) in fact do a perfectly good job of keeping up with current upstream OS releases (much like Puppy does in fact).

wiak

enrique

#245 Post by enrique »

Agreed with wiak, it is a "dumb review". BusterDog & StretchDog are full capable Debian distros. He should look at the fantastic job fredx181 and rcrsn51 done to even improve those. And what about support!. What Linux distro have professionals like the one we have here that are willing to help you when we need them? I am a happy full time Debian Dog user. Thanks my good friends.

backi

#246 Post by backi »

All I can do.......is fully agree ...... :D
The (Debian,Ubuntu) "Dogs" are the "Top of the Pop`s" .Truly "State of the Art".
I am a fully satisfied Customer.
Thanks ...all you Guys for that.......
Best Thing since sliced Bread !Who could ask for more .

Puppy Linux Forum .....more than just Linux.
Meeting of the "Spirits" .....very friendly and helpful.....
Keep on rocking !

fredx181

#247 Post by fredx181 »

Well, I have to agree too, but I'd rather call the review very incomplete.
I can imagine though that it's difficult to write a short review by someone who is not "insider"(and maybe because there are so many Dog variants).
Clearly the author didn't test much and didn't follow some of the threads here on murga-linux, otherwise he would have mentioned the great advantages, e.g. SFS loading, easy remastering, choice to save the session or not, etc...
Fact is that documentation and/or FAQ is pretty hard to find (very much is burried in the threads here, which is a pity).
Don't understand why the author wrote "I wouldn’t really advise to use it on your main computer." Maybe has to do with security (the 'login as root' thing) ?
Rather easy to turn it into a multi-user OS and login as normal user, but (again) not very well documented.
I do use it as main OS (mostly StretchDog) (I'm an "insider" of course :)), but for a newbie (or someone used to e.g. Mint or Ubuntu), I'd say it could be a real challenge.

Btw, I'm busy these days with a Dog variant (another one :roll: ) based on Sid (unstable), not sure if there's any interest, but anyway I will share ISO's probably in the near future.
In fact Sid is not very suitable for a live system because of the many updates available (almost every day).
Workaround is a "static" repository (from snapshot.debian.org) with no updates available but with the option to change the date to recent (or change to standard Sid repo). Not sure about the name yet, maybe "Sidog"
Anyone interested or have opinion / tips ?

Fred

backi

#248 Post by backi »

Fred wrote:
Fact is that documentation and/or FAQ is pretty hard to find (very much is burried in the threads here, which is a pity).
Sure that is the main Flaw ....Newbies possibly will be deterred by this.
So the full Potential of those amazing Projects will unfortunately not recognized.
Any Chance to solve this Dilemma ?
On the other Side ....Fred is doing the main Work almost alone.
Regards!

rcrsn51

#249 Post by rcrsn51 »

backi wrote:Fred wrote:
Sure that is the main Flaw ....Newbies possibly will be deterred by this.
So the full Potential of those amazing Projects will unfortunately not recognized. Any Chance to solve this Dilemma ?
Like here?

backi

#250 Post by backi »

Hi rcrsn51!
I can`t anyway use Buster- Dogs because of Heat Problems they are causing to my Machine.Same for every "Buster" Puppy.Could not find any Solution until now.
Not so with Debian Stretches or Ubuntu (Puppies or Dogs) .
Meanwhile i didn`t use the older Pre-Buster Dogs(Stretch) for a longer Time now (main Reason i could not use newest Smtube- Smplayer the Way i can use the newest Versions in Xenial/Bionic Dogs) so i overlooked this Manual completely.
But thanks for the Hint.

Regards!

enrique

#251 Post by enrique »

backi wrote:...Buster- Dogs because of Heat Problems
...Not so with Debian Stretches or Ubuntu (Puppies or Dogs)...
"Heat Problems", that is weird.
I have a HP DV7 Pavilion with a nice I7 old core. Normally a BusterDog64 user. But I had test most of the Debian version. My buster is the OpenBox made with the mklive-buster. Yes I like to start clean and add only the Apps I do use. For me all those extra programs just confuse me when I use the menu.

The desktop Conky shows my CPU most of the time at 3%. some times Palemoon will force it to go 5%. The laptop is as cold as it can get, Fan for the most part is OFF.

You need to use your Task Manager to find out what is the application that is using your CPU time.
backi wrote:...Meanwhile i didn`t use the older Pre-Buster Dogs(Stretch) for a longer Time now (main Reason i could not use newest Smtube- Smplayer ...
I disagree with you analysis, You can not judge the WHOLE distro because you do not like an optional application. You can easily delete that app and install what ever you prefer.

So try the mklive-buster. It will take 15 minutes to build. The only cost is the Internet use. I am not sure but it is 300-400 MB of packages. Good news it it build a local repository. Next time you build it takes almost no data in ONLY 5 minutes.. Try that. Then let us know how you PC do. Then use task manager if you still have any issue.

EDIT:
I forgot. I have not test it. Well I will now. But a good reference I bet you is rcrsn51's The Debian-Stretch-Live Starter Kit. Hoops that is stretch. I winder if there is a bare Buster published!

backi

#252 Post by backi »

Hi enrique !
Thanks for Advice man....
So try the mklive-buster.
Using Dell Precision M6600.
I did ......but no Chance high Temperatures still persists.....gave up on the "Buster" Series .Seems i am the only one.
I have an older Notebook .....the "Busters" work flawless on it.
But don't worry for me Man.......
Using Bionic or Xenial Dog ....and i am a happy Camper.

Best Wishes !

ras

#253 Post by ras »

fredx181 wrote:
ras wrote:I have tried to build a busterdog with mklive-buster64 without frisbee, but it fails. (yes, I saw the note that says this is not recommended, and presume it is the cause for the failure)
What exactly fails ? For me it builds ok when I specify network-manager-gnome (and gnome-keyring) instead of frisbee (or peasywifi) on the "Base install 2" section:

Code: Select all

yad gtkdialog obshutdown pup-volume-monitor network-manager-gnome gnome-keyring ... ... ... 
For installing the backports kernel (you may have seen, but mentioning just in case):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 06#1048806

Fred
Hi Fred

I got a chance to try mklive-buster64 again and it worked well this time with the package substitutions you mentioned.

I also was able to build the backports kernel with upgrade-kernel-buster-bpo_1.0.0_all.deb. swapped out the kernel and it seems to works fine.

I was not able to install wireguard as apt could not find it. I tried to add the repo I found it in last time but that did not work either. I assume the backports do not have access to all repos?

Since I have a working install created with the debian method of using backports, I thought that remaster cow would be a way to incorporate my /changes into a sguashfs and let me start over with a new /changes. The script seems to create the squashfs and exit clean, but the squashfs is only about 10% the size of the /changes it is created from and some things work but wireguard cannot be found when the new module is loaded. Perhaps I am trying to use remastercow for something other than it's intended purpose?

My goal is to have the wireguard install and other browsing related configurations in a readonly filesystem. What course of action or other options could you recommend?

Thanks
Bob
RAS

fredx181

#254 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Bob, before I reply in more details can you let me better understand what it is that you need exactly (and more about what you did), so I can try to reproduce what you did), I must say that I dont't know anything about wireguard.
For example, do you need the wireguard kernel module ?
I think linux-headers package (matching the kernel you booted with) needs to be installed for that (for dkms install of wireguard.ko)
Did you activate the buster-backports repo ? (needed for for installing wireguard, I think)

All the best,

Fred

tommy

#255 Post by tommy »

Wonderful distribution, complete and easy to use, apt-get works as expected.
Also the dark look is elegant and relaxing to the eyes.

Touchpad tapping is not working on my Hp notebook, and Flsynclient is missing. How to enable tapping?
/etc/X11/xorg.conf isn't there as in other Puppies. Do I have to install flsynclient or is there a workaround?
Thank you!

ps: I'm using the 32bit version.

ras

wireguard install

#256 Post by ras »

Hi Fred,
what I would like to build is a frugal install that includes wireguard. I would like to have wireguard in a read only module. whether wireguard is in it's own module or part of the base install module does not matter.

wireguard prefers openresolv for use with debian to prevent dns leaks. openresolv conflicts with frisbee and peasywifi, hence my desire to build with network-manager instead.
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=860564

the build I have working now was built using these instructions from the wireguard site: https://www.wireguard.com/install/
Debian [module – v0.0.20200318 & tools – v1.0.20200319]

# apt install wireguard

Users with Debian releases older than Bullseye should enable backports.
and backports from here: https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/

so I added deb http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-backports main
to /etc/apt/sources.list
# apt update
# apt-get -t buster-backports install wireguard

when configuring wireguard in busterdog I have found that I also need to have nftables installed. There is also a script from mullvad vpn which generates a configuration and key exchange. it works well, but needs curl and jq

I do not necessarily need to build my install with upgrade-kernel-buster-bpo, I just thought to give it a try and see if it would make a difference doing things the busterdog way. My focus at this point is to create a create a wireguard module or having wireguard inside some other module. Perhaps remastering would be a better way to move forward than using remastercow?

Thanks
RAS

rcrsn51

Re: wireguard install

#257 Post by rcrsn51 »

ras wrote:openresolv conflicts with frisbee and peasywifi,
Just out of curiosity, is the issue here that you want to control the contents of /etc/resolv.conf instead of the DHCP server?

You can do this in PWF by creating the file /etc/resolv.conf.head

See line 28 of /etc/pwf/udhcpc/default.script.

Or you could give the machine a static IP address and set the DNS server to whatever you want.

ras

#258 Post by ras »

rcrsn51

if I rename /etc/resolve.conf and run the wireguard command to bring up a tunnel to the vpn server, a new /etc/resolv.conf is created that points to the ip of the vpn company dns server. the vpn setup script installed configs for each of their locations in /etc/wireguard

if in fact, a simple edit of /ect/resolv.conf was all's that was needed, then the wireguard instructions might have mentioned that. the bug report cited above is from the developer of wireguard and he concludes
Therefore, I'd suggest that either:
a) Debian switch to using Openresolv by default instead of its own
"resolvconf". The openresolv package already "Provides: openresolv",
so it should be a drop-in replacement; or
b) Debian's "resolvconf" backport these useful and necessary features
from Openresolv.
it is apt that wants to uninstall peasywifi before it can install openresolv, and it is the mullvad vpn install instructions that recommend the use of openresolv to properly use their service without dnsleaks.
RAS

fredx181

#259 Post by fredx181 »

ras wrote:what I would like to build is a frugal install that includes wireguard. I would like to have wireguard in a read only module. whether wireguard is in it's own module or part of the base install module does not matter.
Here's a squash module that may work for you (but really not sure)
https://github.com/doglinux/busterdog/r ... 4.squashfs
For info, I made it by using apt2sfs, entering this:

wireguard openresolv nftables jq linux-headers-4.19.0-8-amd64
Made on a minimal system, but curl is installed, so not included in the module)
It includes also linux-headers, required for to build the kernel module wireguard.ko (with wireguard-dkms) which is therefore included (for kernel 4.19.0-8-amd64).
So the squashfs is larger than actually needed because of linux-headers and build tools inside.
If that's a problem I'd be happy to build one again (manually) later with only the required stuff inside (but need to know then from you exactly what)
Btw,It could well be that this module doesn't conflict when frisbee or peasywifi is installed.

Remastercow should work OK (just tested), maybe when you tried the changes were not yet saved ? (should be)

Fred

fredx181

#260 Post by fredx181 »

tommy wrote:Wonderful distribution, complete and easy to use, apt-get works as expected.
Also the dark look is elegant and relaxing to the eyes.

Touchpad tapping is not working on my Hp notebook, and Flsynclient is missing. How to enable tapping?
/etc/X11/xorg.conf isn't there as in other Puppies. Do I have to install flsynclient or is there a workaround?
Thank you!

ps: I'm using the 32bit version.
Hi tommy,

Maybe this script works for you ?

#!/bin/sh

synclient TapButton1=1
synclient TapButton2=2
synclient TapButton3=3
Found this in old Debiandog thread. I can't test because of my hardware, if above doesn't work hopefully someone else may be able to help.

Fred