BusterDog + build system (no-systemd)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
dancytron

#221 Post by dancytron »

ras wrote:
fredx181 wrote:Hi ras,
Yes, and see also http://www.porteus.org/tutorials/26-gen ... -them.html
But note that NOT all of these cheatcodes will work with busterdog.

Fred
from the link above
changes-ro

... Keep saved changes in a read-only state. This is useful when
you have your system set up exactly how you like it and do not
want to save any other changes you might make during a live
session. This cheatcode should be used in conjunction with the
'changes=' or 'changes=EXIT:' cheatcodes.
Example: 'changes=/path/file.dat changes-ro'
NOTE: remove the 'changes-ro' cheatcode from the bootloader config
to start saving changes as normal (effective after a reboot).
Is this a usable cheat with busterdog? Or is there a better way to accomplish the same?
I don't know if that cheat code works with busterdog, but the easiest way to accomplish the same effect is to remaster your installation and then just boot without any changes at all.

I don't know it will help, but here are the 4 standard menu.1st entries I use:
==> standard save on exit
title BabyBuster (sda2) noauto from=/BabyBuster/ changes=EXIT:/BabyBuster/
root (hd0,1)
kernel (hd0,1)/BabyBuster/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/BabyBuster/ changes=EXIT:/BabyBuster/
initrd (hd0,1)/BabyBuster/live/initrd1.xz

===>save on exit, copy to ram
title BabyBuster copy2ram (sda2) noauto from=/BabyBuster/ changes=EXIT:/BabyBuster/
root (hd0,1)
kernel (hd0,1)/BabyBuster/live/vmlinuz1 noauto copy2ram from=/BabyBuster/ changes=EXIT:/BabyBuster/

==>save as you go directly to changes file
title BabyBuster for upgrade (sda2) noauto from=/BabyBuster/ changes=/BabyBuster/
root (hd0,1)
kernel (hd0,1)/BabyBuster/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/BabyBuster/ changes=/BabyBuster/

==>boot without changes file
title BabyBuster (sda2) No Changes from=/BabyBuster/
root (hd0,1)
kernel (hd0,1)/BabyBuster/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/BabyBuster/

ras

#222 Post by ras »

Thanks for sharing your menu.lst ,Dan.

I suppose while cheatcodes are being discussed, I should ask if there is a way to specify different save options once you are already booted.

One Example: Unexpectedly, something goes poorly during a session and you wish to exit without any changes.

Possibly one could backup /changes before shutdown, presuming it is possible to copy the changes folder while it is being used.

A related but different question: Is there a way to manually initiate a save during a session, if one has initially booted without calling for any changes to be saved during or at the end of that session ?

Question edited for clarity.
RAS

dancytron

#223 Post by dancytron »

One Example: Unexpectedly, something goes poorly during a session and you wish to exit without any changes.

Possibly one could backup /changes before shutdown, presuming it is possible to copy the changes folder while it is being used.
Not sure I understand your question, but if you are in Porteus Boot Save Changes on Exit mode you can manually save anytime you want by running /usr/bin/save2flash.

I make a link to it on the desktop and save2flash anytime I do something that I want to keep. If I mess something up, I can just reboot without saving.

ras

#224 Post by ras »

I shouldn't try to ask two different questions in the same post so I will see if I can clarify.

if you were to boot into a session with the changes=EXIT:/BabyBuster/ parameter, but then wish for the save to not occur because of a problem or behaviour you don't wish to keep, is there a way of exiting clean with no changes, (short of a hard poweroff)?

the second question is answered well having the ability to run "save2flash" on demand.
A strategy that would in effect cover both situations would be to just operate with the no changes parameters as default, and always remember to save when needed

thanks for your help :)
RAS

dancytron

#225 Post by dancytron »

if you were to boot into a session with the changes=EXIT:/BabyBuster/ parameter, but then wish for the save to not occur because of a problem or behaviour you don't wish to keep, is there a way of exiting clean with no changes, (short of a hard poweroff)?
Just reboot and say "no" when it asks if you want to save.

ras

#226 Post by ras »

Thanks Dan
that gui save option selector that pops up calling for a shutdown is just the feature I was hoping to find
RAS

Rocket

JWM tray calendar

#227 Post by Rocket »

Here's igucal, the JWM tray calendar used with most puppies.
Compiled for BusterDog64. Thanks to Iguleder http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... cc4088ee84

1. Install igucal in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin

2. Edit /root/.jwmrc and change <Clock format="%H:%M">xclock</Clock>
to <Clock format="%H:%M">exec:igucal</Clock>

3. Save your changes and restart jwm. The calendar should pop up when you click on the tray time.

gsimplecal also works well and is available from the debian repos.
Attachments
igucal.jpg
(10 KiB) Downloaded 680 times
igucal.tar.gz
(4.03 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

fredx181

#228 Post by fredx181 »

*** Some changes and fixes for the custom repository ***
Info here (same is done for BusterDog repo):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 00#1052200

Fred

ras

wireguard install

#229 Post by ras »

Hi Fred and others,

I find frugal installs useful for keeping dedicated installs for a specific application or usage.

I am not sure if BusterDog is my best choice for a wireguard install, but dogs in general have proved very useful for using apt to install .debs (versus a puppy with deb capabilities through PPM)

from the wireguard website https://www.wireguard.com/

Code: Select all

# echo "deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ unstable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/unstable.list
# printf 'Package: *\nPin: release a=unstable\nPin-Priority: 90\n' > /etc/apt/preferences.d/limit-unstable
# apt update
# apt install wireguard
returns output that ends.....
Building for 4.19.0-6-amd64
Module build for kernel 4.19.0-6-amd64 was skipped since the
kernel headers for this kernel does not seem to be installed.
Setting up wireguard (1.0.20200206-2) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.28-10) ...
root@live:~#
see the attachment for complete output.

your thoughts on what to do next would be appreciated, or a pointer if this has already been covered in another dog thread

thanks

thanks
Attachments
wginst.fake.gz
(26.16 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
RAS

wiak

Re: wireguard install

#230 Post by wiak »

ras wrote:
Building for 4.19.0-6-amd64
Module build for kernel 4.19.0-6-amd64 was skipped since the
kernel headers for this kernel does not seem to be installed.
Setting up wireguard (1.0.20200206-2) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.28-10) ...
root@live:~#
Above suggests to me that you must also have the devx sfs for that kernel/distribution also loaded. i.e. needs a build environment since wants to build a new module. A devx provides a build/compiling environment and is also available for download along with the main distro iso. Once you've downloaded the devx squashedfilesystem you can load it by finding it in the filemanager and right-click on the sfs file to be provided with menu including option to load it (which you want to do).

wiak

ras

#231 Post by ras »

Thanks wiak, that's all it needed.
RAS

trister

#232 Post by trister »

Hello,

I've been trying to setup busterdog with mklive-buster64.
What packages should I put during running mklive-buster64 to get every possible firmware for Graphics cards and motherboards (the other hardware wifi etc so far I think it is covered by your extra firmware squashfs file).

I want the initial version to contain as much GPU/MB drivers as possible (even if size gets too big).
I've put StretchDog (made with) mklive to PCs ranging from P4 to i5 and in some cases I couldn't avoid running with nomodeset (usually for older P4s + in my i5 -as mentioned in another of my topics).

Thanks for all the good work.

rcrsn51

#233 Post by rcrsn51 »

trister wrote:... in some cases I couldn't avoid running with nomodeset (usually for older P4s
There may be no solution to this. Debian has stopped supporting some old graphics cards.

Have you checked the Debian repo to see if a driver is still available?

OscarTalks

#234 Post by OscarTalks »

Test of BusterDog from 2019-12-29
Tried both 32bit and 64bit versions
Ethernet interface is not recognised
Broadcom BCM 57788 - uses tg3 kernel module as driver and this is loaded.

I did the substitution to replace the 4.19 kernel with the 3.16.0-4 and the interface then works, but this is only available for 32bit?
By the way, I had to provide the file beowulf-i486.sgn in order for this to work (or perhaps could have renamed buster-i486.sgn?).

This interface has always been OK with lots of kernels in lots of Puppies tested. The only one I recall not working was Wary5 and I fixed it by recompiling the tg3 module and BarryK then put my build into Wary. Racy5 with the 3.x kernel was OK at that time.
Ethernet interface works OK in StretchDog64
Oscar in England

fredx181

#235 Post by fredx181 »

Hi OscarTalks, thanks for testing.

I use Broadcom BCM5787M (also using tg3 kernel module) but cannot reproduce the problem.
In case you didn't try yet, "Restart Networks" from frisbee may help.
If not can you try k-4.19.0-8 from here ?
https://github.com/DebianDog/BusterDog/ ... s/tag/v0.2
It has changed initrd1.xz (more kernel modules loaded).

Fred

rcrsn51

#236 Post by rcrsn51 »

dmesg | grep -i firmware
If the tg3 firmware is missing, get firmware-misc-nonfree.

OscarTalks

#237 Post by OscarTalks »

The dmesg | grep -i firmware command returns no output.
I do have the 99-firmware module loaded as a test but it doesn't seem to help.
The tigon tg3 firmware files appear to be there.

A little earlier, when I had k3.16 loaded to give me a connection, I tried running the upgrade kernel thing from the Menu. It produced a 4.19.0-8 kernel as expected, but when I tried booting with this kernel the interface was still not recognised.
Tried the 4.19.0-8 from the github link above - still no interface unfortunately.

The DpupStretch by Radky with a 4.19 kernel works OK, as does BarryK's EasyPup with an even later 5.4.20 kernel, so it seems to be something rather specific between this hardware and this batch of kernels.

Edit:-
Tried firmware-misc-nonfree but no change
In frisbee the Restart Networks button is greyed out because it is in the Wireless tab which is not operational.
There is the Refresh button in the Interfaces tab, but it does not fix it.
Oscar in England

rcrsn51

#238 Post by rcrsn51 »

FWIW, I have a machine with the BCM57781 adapter and it works fine in k4.19.0-6-amd64.

ras

#239 Post by ras »

Hi, I have been using busterdog to connect to the internet thru mullvad vpn using wireguard. The wireguard install makes for a quite large /changes.

The current install requires I build wireguard against the bullesye kernel which is installed using backports.

Another complication is frisbee needs to be replaced with a different utility on account of a conflict with openresolv, which is recommended to make dns work correctly to prevent leaks when using the vpn with debian. I now connect my laptop wireless with network-manager.

I have tried to build a busterdog with mklive-buster64 without frisbee, but it fails. (yes, I saw the note that says this is not recommended, and presume it is the cause for the failure)

As wireguard support will be included in the 5.6 kernel, I thought it might be worthwhile to use it any way I can until that kernel makes it way to stable. To that end, I would like to ask If there a way I can build a busterdog with network manager, (Ie without frisbee) or even better with the bullseye kernel with out using backports after the fact?

https://www.wireguard.com/install/

BTW, the backports install method has changed from the one mentioned a few post back, and busterdog also requires nftables run wireguard.
RAS

fredx181

#240 Post by fredx181 »

ras wrote:I have tried to build a busterdog with mklive-buster64 without frisbee, but it fails. (yes, I saw the note that says this is not recommended, and presume it is the cause for the failure)
What exactly fails ? For me it builds ok when I specify network-manager-gnome (and gnome-keyring) instead of frisbee (or peasywifi) on the "Base install 2" section:

yad gtkdialog obshutdown pup-volume-monitor network-manager-gnome gnome-keyring ... ... ... 
For installing the backports kernel (you may have seen, but mentioning just in case):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 06#1048806

Fred