3D PDF flip-book 'app' for Chromium-based browsers

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Mike Walsh

3D PDF flip-book 'app' for Chromium-based browsers

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, all.

I am, as y'all are aware, quite a committed user of the 'Googlesphere'. I know that many of you are, for whatever your own personal reasons happen to be, very 'anti-Google' (usually related to Big Brother's 'nosiness'). For those of you who fall into this category, read no further.....

----------------------------------

I've periodically taken a look at Arnold the Bat's ChromiumOS builds over the last few years.....usually giving them up as a bad job, since there were many issues related to their use on the old Compaq tower. (This is, of course, the open-source variant of Google's ChromeOS, as found on Chromebooks.)

I decided to give it a try again with this new HP compact tower I've recently acquired. I figured that with relatively new, up-to-date hardware, things might work a bit better. Whoooah!!! :shock: And how..... :D

I installed the most recent 64-bit build day before yesterday to a 64 GB SanDisk USB 3.0 Ultra 'Fit' thumbdrive, compiled & released less than a week ago. Absolutely everything works as it should, OOTB.....including the current release of Chromium, v81. I can finally try it out properly, and get a feel for what living with a Chromebook is really like..!

-------------------------------

To get to the point of this missive; Chromebooks are essentially for those among us who spend much of their time online. That being the case, there is of course full support for the vast range of not only extensions in the Chrome WebStore, but also the 'apps'. And this is necessary to be able to access these, since Chrome/ChromiumOS is a pretty minimalist OS when it boils down to it; you can't 'install' apps the way you can in Linux, but you can 'install' webapps.

My usual preferred PDF reader is Adobe's final Linux release; it's several years old now, but still extremely capable. Can't use it here, so I went hunting in the WebStore, and.....

.....found the niftiest 3D PDF reader imaginable. Just like reading your item on a flat surface, and 'turning the pages' as you 'read' it.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... hckcajpmdi

Very neat, and extremely easy to use. As gjuhasz pointed out to me just the other day, WebGL support is now fully implemented in Linux Chromium-based browsers as of the last release or two, as demonstrated by this rather neat demo:-

http://madebyevan.com/webgl-water/

And this has resulted in a absolute deluge of 3D-oriented, 'interactive' apps in the WebStore in recent weeks.....some of which are pretty neat to use, especially if your hardware is capable of supporting it.

Just wanted to bring this to everybody's attention, since I thought some of you might like it. Enjoy!

Mike. :wink:

MrDuckGuy

#2 Post by MrDuckGuy »

Thanks for the links.
I'm running Waterfox, so the app won't install,
but the WebGL Water site is mesmerizing.

I'm running a Dell Optiplex390 with the motherboard
graphics. No lagging or artifacts.

Keep up the good work!

------
UPDATE: I compared the dFlipReader output
with the output from QPDFVIEW. On Google
Chrome, the output isn't readable in this example,
without zooming in. You can see QPDFVIEW outputs
a readable screen even without zooming. I don't
know if this is my software or hardware. See the
screenshot below:

Can I fix that?
Attachments
2020-03-09_0637-Screenshot.png
QPDFVIEW overlaid on output from dFlipReader, showing the difference in readability.
(136.61 KiB) Downloaded 73 times