(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 22 Sep 2020, 01:58
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Vivaldi-portable - for 'modern' Puppies
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 2 of 5 [74 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
dancytron

PostPosted: Thu 05 Mar 2020, 01:56    Post subject:  

Does the internal pdf reader work for you?

I get "couldn't load plugin".
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 05 Mar 2020, 07:28    Post subject:  

@ dancytron:-

Mm. Umm.....not an issue I've come across, since I don't use the internal PDF reader. I use an extension from the Chrome Web Store, called "Xodo PDF Viewer & Editor":-

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/xodo-pdf-viewer-editor/ihgdgpjankaehldoaimdlekdidkjfghe

.....although at around 40 MB, that's more than many folks want to 'install'. Since with this new machine, I've got several TB of space to play with, am only running 64-bit Pups, and have just added another 4 GB of RAM (bringing me up to 8 GB), an extra 40 MB is not something I'm especially concerned about any longer. But that's not the case for everyone...

There is another one you might like to take a look at:-

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pdf-viewer-pdf-flipbook-d/bbbnbmpdkfkndckfmcndgabefnmdedfp

It's a '3D', "flip-book" PDF viewer - looks exactly like a book, turning one page after another, right there in the browser. It's rather fun, and is only a couple of MB in size. I use this one purely for reading PDFs; if I want to edit anything, I use Xodo instead. And since these 'portables' run in all my present Pups, once this stuff is installed, they're available to all.

Xodo is also available as a web-app:-

https://www.xodo.com/app/#/

Just a few options.

(EDIT:- For the internal PDF viewer, click on the gear icon, bottom of the left side panel. This opens 'Settings'; now select 'Webpages'. Scroll down to the 'Plugins' section; make sure the 'Enable Internal PDF Viewer' checkbox is ticked. May help, may not.)

Mike. Wink

jrb

PostPosted: Thu 05 Mar 2020, 13:19    Post subject: Re: Vivaldi 2.11 'portable' (64-bit only)
Subject description: Portable version of the Vivaldi browser - 64-bit (for modern Puppies)

Mike Walsh wrote:
So; since the 32-bit version won't function 100%, I'm following my personal rule, and am only going to publish the 64-bit version
Mike, I've been working on my Portabrowse.pet (I have a project I want it use it in) and I have come across install-vivaldi.sh published by the Vivaldi people. It downloads and installs the latest Vivaldi-snapshot, either 32bit or 64bit depending on your system and sets up Widevine. I have modified it to download Vivaldi-stable and set it up as a portable. Since I don't have a netflix account or the bandwidth to run netflix I was wondering if you could install the 32bit version and see if it will work with netflix.

Thanks, J
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 05 Mar 2020, 19:36    Post subject:  

@ jrb:-

Well, I gave it a go in radky's DPup 'Stretch'. Couldn't get it installed, since according to the terminal the "downloaded data is corrupt".

This was attempted 3 times, with the same result every time. So, can't try out anything, never mind NetFlix. Sorry 'bout that.

The issue in the 32-bit 'portable' (and the guys on the Vivaldi forum appear to be having exactly the same issue as the guys on the Opera forums) is that the WideVine DRM module always shows up in the chrome://components list as version 0.0.0.0.....and nothing you do will make it show as the correct version, much less installed and/or updated.

I honestly believe this is a veiled attempt by Big Brother to push 32-bit users to move to 64-bit, which has been their much-publicised, 'hard-line' intent for at least the last 4 years.

My 'workaround' with earlier 32-bit Chromium 'clones' was to utilise the WideVine module from Firefox, but this stopped working as of v70 (Iron 69 was the last 'clone' version where I was able to make this work). Since then, I've just been on a hiding to nothing. AlienBob, of Slackware fame, used to produce compiled WideVine modules that would work in Chromium, but he stopped updating these around 2 ½ years ago.....and NetFlix, along with various other sites like Spotify, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc, are just as fussy about having a current version of WideVine as YouTube is about having up-to-date versions of ffmpeg for the various codecs support, like h264, h265, etc.....without which the site point-blank refuses to function.

It's the classic 'Catch-22' situation. You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't. Since NetFlix is something of a prerequisite for me, this is why with this new hardware I've gone with all-64 bit Pups.....there's no shortage of 64-bit browsers that happily play NetFlix. It's a 'no-brainer', as far as I'm concerned.

Ruario's script works well for 64-bit installs.....but it just don't 'cut the mustard' where 32-bit's concerned.

Mike. Wink

watchdog

PostPosted: Fri 06 Mar 2020, 05:51    Post subject:  

I have installed the deb package of vivaldi-stable current in ScPup. Installed gtk+3 and at-spi2-atk. I changed /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi to run vivaldi with --no-sandbox (the last line). I copied in /root/.config/vivaldi my profile of vivaldi from 64 bit vivaldi. I have run /opt/vivaldi/update-ffmpeg and /opt/vivaldi/update-widevine. Vivaldi 32 bit now starts and widevine seems to be updated.
pic.png
 Description   
 Filesize   74.45 KB
 Viewed   444 Time(s)

pic.png

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 06 Mar 2020, 13:35    Post subject:  

Right, boys & girls. Now then.....

I've followed watchdog's tutorial above, to the letter. Installed the current 'stable' .deb to DPup Stretch. Modified /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi to add the '--no-sandbox' switch. You must then either start Vivaldi (to create a profile), or create /root/.config/vivaldi, and copy the contents of an existing Vivaldi profile into it.

If you don't have a profile, the update scripts will hang.....because each script writes a small text file to your profile which confirms the upgrade to the browser. If already running, close Vivaldi while you run the update scripts; if you've copied a profile, run them before starting up.

Start Vivaldi.

Go to 'chrome://components', and Widevine shows as up-to-date. Close the tab. Go to NetFlix, sign in, and try to watch something. You'll get the usual 'Can't find Widevine....', etc. Close the tab. Go into 'chrome://components' again, and click on the Widevine 'Check for updates' button. It'll say 'Component not updated' (because it already is), but the act of doing so now means that Vivaldi will see it, because it creates a text file in your profile which tells the browser it's been updated.

Go back to NetFlix again, wash, rinse & repeat. All things being equal, everything should now be working.....

---------------------------------

I'll be releasing the new version of Vivaldi-portable soon, this time using the update scripts, albeit in a slightly different way. With the portable, if you try running the scripts from their normal location inside the /vivaldi directory, it'll overwrite your existing profile & create a new one.....which is rather annoying, 'cos you'll lose all your bookmarks, etc. Don't ask me why this happens; I'm not enough of a 'script-jockey' to fully understand what the script is doing, but I've found a way that'll work with minimal messing around. It just involves running the scripts from an unrelated location, followed by manually re-locating two files.

Stay tuned.

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Fri 06 Mar 2020, 20:42; edited 2 times in total
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 06 Mar 2020, 16:13    Post subject:  

Right, kiddiwinks. Here are the new 'portable' versions of

Vivaldi 2.11.1811.47

Both versions (32- & 64-bit) are now fully functional. We're using the 'update-ffmpeg' & 'update-widevine' scripts, but in a slightly different way.

Attached to this post is a miniscule .pet (just a few kb) that simply installs the two 'updater' scripts, in a directory, in /root for ease of access. To use, do as follows:-

Open your 'portable' Vivaldi directory, and open the 'vivaldi' directory inside. Leave this open.

Now, open a second filer window on /var/opt. Leave this open, too.

Enter /root/Vivaldi-media-updates.

1. First, run the 'update-ffmpeg' script by clicking on it. You'll see a 'vivaldi' directory appear in /var/opt. Open this, and there is 'media-codecs-xxxxxxx' (this version number will change periodically). Leave this window as is for now.

2. Second, run the 'update-widevine' script by clicking on it. A 'WidevineCdm' directory will appear beside the 'media-codecs-xxxxxxx' one.

3. Open the 'lib' directory inside the portable's 'vivaldi' directory. Delete 'libffmpeg'. Open 'media-codecs-xxxxxxx' in /var/opt/vivaldi, and copy the new libffmpeg across in its place.

4. Now, delete the existing 'WidevineCdm' directory in the portable's 'vivaldi' directory. Copy across the 'WidevineCdm' directory from /var/opt/vivaldi in its place.

All done! You can now close all windows.

-------------------------------------------

Remember to go into 'chrome://components'. Down the bottom, it'll tell you the Widevine module is 'new', and up-to-date, but you still need to click on 'Check for updates' to register this fact in your profile, and make the browser aware of it.....even though nothing appears to happen. NetFlix, Spotify, Hulu, Amazon Prime, whatever.....anything that is DRM-controlled should now work.

Somebody who's better at scripting could probably make these scripts install these items into the correct location to start with, without them interfering with anything else. It's a wee bit above my 'pay grade', I'm afraid..! So, I've resorted to a slight 'bodge'... (a-hem!) Embarassed

It would be hard to implement anyway, I would think, since it's all going to depend on exactly where the user decides to run their 'portable' from.

-------------------------------------------

Downloads:-

32-bit - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GNZ3wf6aYiPHkC1VAp0XelViPTCKNFKS/view?usp=sharing

MD5 - 939a878516c2d646204b49861d2de462

Sha256 - 144498de6f606c9c99406d74412f7dcbb9f702a8d70d2e9fec89a4e52bec61cf

64-bit - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LWSmYfwKmCtlGQKZhvm5zYOp6leYjB9S/view?usp=sharing

MD5 - 29cf01c8f790383d707f4e600c19a6d5

Sha256 - ae5f624712f9bf178f4a9c7cf5e16eb2f0ead254937a56c133ca70394325393e

Mesdames et messieurs.....enjoy.

Mike. Wink
Vivaldi_multimedia_updates-0.1.pet
Description  Media-codecs-updater .pet...
pet

Download 
Filename  Vivaldi_multimedia_updates-0.1.pet 
Filesize  2.86 KB 
Downloaded  132 Time(s) 

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 28 Mar 2020, 08:24; edited 4 times in total
jrb

PostPosted: Fri 06 Mar 2020, 16:56    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
All things being equal, everything should now be working.....
Very Happy Congratulations Mike and thanks to watchdog. Job well done!

Cheers, J
watchdog

PostPosted: Fri 06 Mar 2020, 17:00    Post subject:  

I understand that the procedure about the Vivaldi_multimedia_updates is intended only for the 32 bit portable. The 64 bit portable should work as it is without the need of installing the Vivaldi_multimedia_updates. I trust you that I could watch Netflix now even with 32 bit because I have not at the moment an account at Netflix. Thanks.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 06 Mar 2020, 19:36    Post subject:  

watchdog wrote:
I understand that the procedure about the Vivaldi_multimedia_updates is intended only for the 32 bit portable. The 64 bit portable should work as it is without the need of installing the Vivaldi_multimedia_updates. I trust you that I could watch Netflix now even with 32 bit because I have not at the moment an account at Netflix. Thanks.

Watchdog, you're very welcome.

The 64-bit version ought to work in any case, because all I did was to copy the WidevineCDM directory across from the newest Chrome.....rather than relying on that sym-link to /opt/google/chrome. Not everybody has both browsers installed, nor do they want them.....and if you're using the Chrome-portable, it's not occupying the normal locations.

I thought it just made sense to replace the sym-link with the real thing, that's all.

@ jrb:-

Are you happy, mate? Will that do you? Very Happy (Y'know, I only opened a NetFlix a/c in response to a query from somebody else around 4 years ago. Now I can't do without it.....and for the GBP £6 a month for a single 'screen' (one item being streamed at a time), it's hardly breaking the bank.

I just never realised how much decent stuff they had on there..and if Mama and I both watch something together, it goes through my Firestick, plugged into the back of the main TV in the front room. That way, it still counts as a single 'screen', y'see...)

Honestly, the stunts we pull for the sake of 'entertainment', eh?? Laughing

Mike. Wink

WoodLark

PostPosted: Sun 08 Mar 2020, 15:59    Post subject:  

I tried Vivaldi (64 bit) about a year ago. Once I got used to it, I liked it, However, without any warning (and for no known reason), it suddenly deleted ALL of my saved logins/passwords.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 08 Mar 2020, 19:45    Post subject:  

WoodLark wrote:
I tried Vivaldi (64 bit) about a year ago. Once I got used to it, I liked it, However, without any warning (and for no known reason), it suddenly deleted ALL of my saved logins/passwords.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Hm. That's not something I think I've ever experienced with any browser, with the exception of a very flaky version of Internet Exploder - many moons ago! - back when I was just starting out with XP, around 2002/3.

Certainly not with any halfway modern Chromium-based or Mozilla-based browser.....even as far back as the Firefox 17↔25 or Chrome 10↔20 kind of era.

Silly question, perhaps, but are you certain you didn't accidentally delete things by mistake? (I've had absent-minded 'brainstorms' before now and done things that I wasn't really aware I'd done until later.....sometimes, much later as it turns out.)

The 'joys' of growing older....huh. (In addition to which, my short-term memory's getting dreadful. You wouldn't believe the number of notes I write to remind myself of things-to-do, etc.....)

Or, there again, p'raps you would..!

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 28 Mar 2020, 08:36; edited 1 time in total
WoodLark

PostPosted: Sun 08 Mar 2020, 21:56    Post subject:  

It could be something I did, although I didn't think so at the time. My memory is probably worse than yours (I'm 7Cool.
WoodLark

PostPosted: Thu 26 Mar 2020, 18:47    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh: I'm going to give your Vivaldi-portable a try. I'll let you know how it goes.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 26 Mar 2020, 20:01    Post subject:  

@ WoodLark:-

WoodLark wrote:
Mike Walsh: I'm going to give your Vivaldi-portable a try. I'll let you know how it goes.

Okey-doke. I await your feedback with interest! Browsers are one of those very 'personal' choices, yet there's such an enormous variety of the things available nowadays that it's rare for most people not to be able to find something they can 'live with'....

Mike. Wink

Page 2 of 5 [74 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: