Once again forum registration problems

Using applications, configuring, problems
rockedge

Once again forum registration problems

#1 Post by rockedge »

In a conversation with a new member of a Puppy Linux Facebook group I found out he can not register with this forum

No email for activation is ever received!

Once again I provided an email address from my server to allow him to join. This MUST be fixed. Any attempts to reach the forum Admin have not gotten any response.

This elephant is in the room and can NOT be ignored.

s243a

#2 Post by s243a »

Any progress on transitioning to the new forum software?
Find me on [url=https://www.minds.com/ns_tidder]minds[/url] and on [url=https://www.pearltrees.com/s243a/puppy-linux/id12399810]pearltrees[/url].

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

How were the attempts to contact Admin made? I never got anything.

By the way, just saying that someone couldn't register is very frustrating to me, since if I know the name they tried to register with, I could activate their account.

rockedge

#4 Post by rockedge »

Hello Flash!

his name is Johnny Rivera and I gave him another email address to try out
He said he tried via the contact information on the murga forum but just an hour or so ago

p310don

#5 Post by p310don »

Flash - we've talked about this before.

The problem is with GMAIL - it decides that emails from the forum aren't legit, and will not let them through. If you have an old murga account with gmail it will work, but it will not work with a new one, not for the past few years.

Apparently gmail will send an email to the webmaster (I assume John Murga) that needs to be whitelisted.

p310don

#6 Post by p310don »

O.F.I.N.S.I.S.

#7 Post by O.F.I.N.S.I.S. »

Hotmail still works.

Though, the mail was sent to the spam directory.

Following this forum for some time (and especially posts about this issue) I can say gmail isn't the only provider where it doesn't work.

In Germany e.g. there's

gmx.de
web.de
freenet.de
t-online.de

All of them won't get the confirmation mail. I tried all of them without success. Then I ran out of user names and passwords. Until I read here to day about hotmail and checked it.

s243a

#8 Post by s243a »

O.F.I.N.S.I.S. wrote:Hotmail still works.

Though, the mail was sent to the spam directory.

Following this forum for some time (and especially posts about this issue) I can say gmail isn't the only provider where it doesn't work.

In Germany e.g. there's

gmx.de
web.de
freenet.de
t-online.de

All of them won't get the confirmation mail. I tried all of them without success. Then I ran out of user names and passwords. Until I read here to day about hotmail and checked it.
Maybe, we should have a note on the registration link, noting which email providers work for registration and ways you can contact people to get registered (e.g. the facebook group).

Ideally of course we should fix this and I hope that we update to the new software soon.
Find me on [url=https://www.minds.com/ns_tidder]minds[/url] and on [url=https://www.pearltrees.com/s243a/puppy-linux/id12399810]pearltrees[/url].

Peterm321

#9 Post by Peterm321 »

It is rather frustrating.

I have posted about a similar problem in these forums, namely that I do not get "notify me when a reply is posted" emails. It could be that some of the antispam systems in the network are triggered by murga-linux email headers. It could be that murga-linux is using plain http whereas some of the email providers are demanding that some version or another of TLS must be used and no way to allow email users to whitelist. NB murga-linux.com and murga-linux.org are whitelisted on my gmx.com email but years since I have had a murga-linux sourced email.

rockedge

#10 Post by rockedge »

after experimenting on the test forum it seems a solution might be to determine if this forum's phpBB is using PHP sendmail. If so a switch to a SMTP method in the phpBB settings and use an external mail server.

Even a Google gmail account sending mails through SMTP might be a fix for the mail problems that could delay a phpBB code upgrade and let this version of the forum continue to run for the time being.

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

AFAICT, the whole crux of the matter, as far as the current forum is concerned, would appear to be that John Murga is 'incommunicado', and is currently unreachable.....whether by choice (or otherwise), is impossible to say.

Mike. :wink:

rockedge

#12 Post by rockedge »

does anyone have remote access to the server? or ftp access to the web root of the forum's web server?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#13 Post by Flash »

Not me.

scsijon

#14 Post by scsijon »

Flash, what about asking BarryK, I know he got rid off most stuff he had, if he ever had some form of forum control, but you never know, he might also have another contact channel with JohnM (who was always hard to contact anyway).