WakePup 1.0 - New, alternate Puppy boot floppy released

News, happenings
pakt

WakePup 1.0 - New, alternate Puppy boot floppy released

#1 Post by pakt »

Please note: WakePup 1.x is for the Puppy 1.x series only. If you are using Puppy 2.x, use WakePup2 which is included on the Puppy2 CD. Look in the menu for the utility to make a WakePup floppy disk. If you cannot make the floppy from the CD, the disk image can be downloaded here:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=7979

I've put together a new Puppy boot disk, meant as an alternative to Barry's BOOT2PUP.

In addition to the drives supported by BOOT2PUP, WAKEPUP supports "lagging-edge" legacy parallel port drives (Backpack CD-ROM and Iomega ZIP) and legacy PCMCIA drives (Addonics or similar CD-ROM).

Use it like this: If BOOT2PUP doesn't work for you, try WAKEPUP (and vice-versa ;) ).

I've attached the floppy disk image file. Just follow 'Step 3' in Barry's BOOT2PUP instructions (after downloading this image file instead, of course) for making a bootable WAKEPUP floppy.

See the README.TXT on the floppy for more info.

Hope it will be useful :)

NEW VERSION: WakePup 1.1c is now available on this page: Download WakePup 1.1c
Last edited by pakt on Wed 26 Jul 2006, 05:57, edited 6 times in total.

pakt

#2 Post by pakt »

Perhaps I should mention that I've succeeded in using WAKEPUP to boot Puppy from the following drives (besides the normal built-in IDE hard disk and CD-ROM drives):

1. Drives connected to the test PC's built-in USB v1.1 port:
- External USB 2.0 hard disk
- External USB 2.0 CD-ROM
- SanDisk Cruzer Mini 128MB flash drive

2. Drives connected via a Belkin USB 2.0 PCMCIA adapter (with 5V DC power plug):
- The above three USB drives
- PNY Attache 128MB flash drive (wasn't detected using USB v1.1 port *)

3. Drives connected to the test PC's parallel port:
- Iomega ZIP100 parallel port drive
- Micro Solutions BACKPACK parallel port CD-ROM drive

4. Drive connected to the test PC's PCMCIA slot:
- Addonics PCMCIA CD-ROM drive

* A note on USBASPI.SYS, Panasonic's USB mass storage driver
------------------------------------------------------------
BOOT2PUP uses USBASPI.SYS v2.06. This version didn't find the PNY Attache 128MB flash drive when connected to the USB v1.1 port. When connected via the Belkin USB 2.0 PCMCIA adapter, it crashed the PC.

WAKEPUP uses USBASPI.SYS v2.20. It doesn't either find the PNY flash drive when connected to the USB v1.1 port, but it is detected and boots Puppy when connected via the Belkin USB 2.0 adapter.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

8)

Sounds like good work
Have put it on the wiki news page
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/LatestNews
(bit slow at loading this morning)

now we need more testers

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

pakt

#4 Post by pakt »

Lobster wrote:now we need more testers :)
Always nice to get feedback on how it is working (... or not) ;)

darrepac

#5 Post by darrepac »

Hello,

I have several questions about booting puppy from floppy...
Here is my setup :
Vaio C1VE picturebook Transmeta 600MHz
1 usb port
only bootable through specific usb floppy drive (hopefully I have it)
1 PCMCIA Freecom Traveler CD Rom... but seems very difficult to have right driver for it and not bootable at all.

So I can only use a floppy to boot...My question is :
Let's say I boot the right files on a flask usk-key or an USB HD.
I boot with wakepup
Is it possible to see (if I have an USB hub) the other USB drives (usb-key or USB HD) attached to the same usb port? or I will have some conflict...
I am ready to put files on the disk, I just don't want to format disk as I want to save data before...

Thanks

pakt

#6 Post by pakt »

darrepac wrote: I have several questions about booting puppy from floppy...
Here is my setup :
Vaio C1VE picturebook Transmeta 600MHz
1 usb port
only bootable through specific usb floppy drive (hopefully I have it)
1 PCMCIA Freecom Traveler CD Rom... but seems very difficult to have right driver for it and not bootable at all.

So I can only use a floppy to boot...My question is :
Let's say I boot the right files on a flask usk-key or an USB HD.
I boot with wakepup
Is it possible to see (if I have an USB hub) the other USB drives (usb-key or USB HD) attached to the same usb port? or I will have some conflict...
I am ready to put files on the disk, I just don't want to format disk as I want to save data before...

Thanks
I think I understand your question.

When you choose the '(1) Boot from IDE/USB' alternative, wakepup will try to identify any devices connected to the usb ports and assign drive letters to the ones it finds.

I have gotten it work with hubs, providing they are self-powered hubs (i.e. have their own power adapter).

Wakepup reads the usb drives to find the one to load Puppy from (that's what the marker file PUPXUSB is for). It doesn't write to any drive and I haven't seen any conflicts between usb drives - either the driver finds the devices or it doesn't. However, as the standard phrase goes: YMMV - no garantees ;)

TIP: When wakepup has ended with the message to add a marker file or you interrupt it (with CTRL-C) when it asks if you want to continue, you are left in FreeDOS and you can use normal DOS commands to examine the assigned drives, e.g. dir e:

You can then, for example, manually copy over PUPXUSB to the drive you want to load Puppy from. Then just reboot wakepup and it will (hopefully) load Puppy from that drive.

Good luck :)

edoc

Wakepup vs boot2pup

#7 Post by edoc »

Lobster wrote:8)
now we need more testers
:)
Wakepup was not recognized as bootable on my IBM 600X (it never showed on the 600X as a .img anything during the unzip process) but pup2 did.

I suppose I need to make a wakepup floppy and try it on another pc.

Meanwhile boot2pup saw my USB stick (Corsair Flash Voyager 1G) just fine but failed to find Puppy!

I followed the suggestion from the failure notice and added a folder called AUTOEXEC.BAT to the USB stick and inside of it an empty text file named pupxusb (though I did not give it any file extension because the instructions did not specify one).

Help? ;-)

Thanks! doc

pakt

Re: Wakepup vs boot2pup

#8 Post by pakt »

edoc wrote:Wakepup was not recognized as bootable on my IBM 600X (it never showed on the 600X as a .img anything during the unzip process) but pup2 did.
edoc, I did not include the .img extention to the wakepup image file in wakepup.tar.gz. That may be what is confusing you.

if you're making the floppy from linux, do like this:
# gunzip wakepup.tar.gz
# dd if=wakepup of=/dev/fd0

if you're using DOS/WIN, it may be easier if you download the version from http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=1367. It will automatically create a wakepup boot floppy for you.
edoc wrote:I followed the suggestion from the failure notice and added a folder called AUTOEXEC.BAT to the USB stick and inside of it an empty text file named pupxusb (though I did not give it any file extension because the instructions did not specify one).
The pupxusb file should be placed in the root directory of the USB stick (same place where you put image.gz, usr_cram.fs and vmlinuz).

Hope this helps :)

edoc

#9 Post by edoc »

pakt wrote: if you're using DOS/WIN,
Perish the thought!
pakt wrote: The pupxusb file should be placed in the root directory of the USB stick (same place where you put image.gz, usr_cram.fs and vmlinuz).
It is unclear to me how I create an autoexec.bat folder with an empty file pupxusb in it and still have an empty file named pupxusb in the root directory. Am I misreading the instructions?

Thanks! doc

edoc

#10 Post by edoc »

While I am parading my ignorance, if boot2pup can see the USB stick, even as it is as-yet unable to load from it, does that mean that I have the USB stick formatted correctly? I cannot recall how to determine the format via command line or gui.

doc

edoc

#11 Post by edoc »

pakt wrote: The pupxusb file should be placed in the root directory of the USB stick (same place where you put image.gz, usr_cram.fs and vmlinuz).
OK. Left the autoexec.bat folder with the empty pupxusb file in it. Also copied the empty pupxusb to the root.

This got me into the USB stick and the Puppy boot started ... great news, but ... after a great deal of text it came to this point of failure:

unionfs_read_super: no directory to interpose on for branch 0
mount: Mounting none on /usr failed: Invalid Argument
failed
Pausing for 60 seconds...
exec: /root/.etc/rc.d/rc.locale0: no such file or directory
Password:

*What password? I have never logged on using this USB stick. As I typed the text onto this PC it timed out.*

Login timed out after 60 seconds

*So I tried making up a password.*

Password: guest
Login incorrect

*So I tried a generic login and password.*

(none) login: guest
Password: guest
Login incorrect

*Now what, please? ;-) *

Thanks! doc

pakt

#12 Post by pakt »

edoc wrote:It is unclear to me how I create an autoexec.bat folder with an empty file pupxusb in it and still have an empty file named pupxusb in the root directory. Am I misreading the instructions?
I'm afraid you did misread the instructions -- no need for an autoexec.bat on the USB stick ;)
edoc wrote:Also copied the empty pupxusb to the root.

This got me into the USB stick and the Puppy boot started ... great news, but ... after a great deal of text it came to this point of failure:

unionfs_read_super: no directory to interpose on for branch 0
mount: Mounting none on /usr failed: Invalid Argument
failed
You're in Puppy territory now! Glad you made it this far :) . Unfortunately I can't help you beyond this point. I hope someone more knowledgeable in Puppy can give you an answer to what caused your symptoms.

Any takers? :D

root

#13 Post by root »

i am try to download to boot disk image for puppy neither boot2pup or wakepup image. The download file is either corrupt or downloads as something else different.

boot2pup - I cannot extracted when i do try to extract it prompts me about the archieve doen't exist.

wakepup - i download it but it is downloaded into file with no extension the file name begins with cXXXXX (sometimes cXXXX.1)

can you provider me with a valid link for download.

thanks.
COM64

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#14 Post by GuestToo »

you can download boot2pup.zip here
scroll down to the bottom of the page
left click the boot2pup.zip link to download

you can download a wakepup.exe program here
left click to download
it is not a zip file, it is an exe file
just rename it to wakepup.exe, and click it to extract the files

the original wakepup file is here
left click the link to download the file

nmwinow

#15 Post by nmwinow »

Hi pakt, I tried wakepup and wasn't sucessful. I'll try some more, but I'm posting now because you asked for feedback.

I downloaded and unzipped wakepup.exe, ran makedisk, and tried to boot. When I do I get the repeating message "FreeDOS" until the line fills, then a new line, on and on until I'm tired of watching new lines fill with "FreeDOS".

I might have other problems, because I can't see any of the files on the floppy. There are 474kb worth of them there, but I can't see them. Also I don't know for sure that this USB thumb drive will boot. It would on another machine with pup 0.9.9, but it won't on the same machine with pup1.0.4. The 4 needed files (vmlinuz, usr_cram.fs, image.gz, and syslinux.cfg) are there, as is pupxusb.

I tried Barry's boot floppy thing and never could get it to work either.

pakt

#16 Post by pakt »

nmwinow wrote:I downloaded and unzipped wakepup.exe, ran makedisk, and tried to boot. When I do I get the repeating message "FreeDOS" until the line fills, then a new line, on and on until I'm tired of watching new lines fill with "FreeDOS".

I might have other problems, because I can't see any of the files on the floppy. There are 474kb worth of them there, but I can't see them.

I tried Barry's boot floppy thing and never could get it to work either.
nmwinow, thanks for the feedback. You had problems with both wakepup and boot2pup floppies. That seems to point to a problem with the floppy disks. Here are some thoughts that come to mind:

- Did you write the images to the floppies from the same disk drive that you're booting from? One of the drives could be misaligned.

- Try reading the contents of the floppy on another computer. If you still can't read the contents, that would point to a problem in writing the images to the floppies or a defective floppy.

- Did you try with more than one floppy? The disk could be defective.

- If you have access to DOS or Windows, you could try making a wakepup floppy using the self-extracting archive version instead and see if that works.

#17 Post by Guest »

Thanks, Pakt. I wrote from the same drive that I tried to boot from, but I only tried that one floppy. The version I used was the win self extractor. I need to try some more. I have access to 4 pcs but each one has something puppy doesn't like, if I had one complete machine without a problem, maybe 'd get it together.

jsavage

Starting Puppy from MSDOS (win98)

#18 Post by jsavage »

The only bootable volume on my Tosh Sat Pro 420CDS is the internal hard disk which currently contains Windows 98. I assume I can use a similar soln to boot puppy from autoexec.bat. Are the instructions for this documented anywhere ?

James

MiniMe

New commands

#19 Post by MiniMe »

I am an experienced DOS user and there are some commands that can be replaced to make autoexec.bat it easier and the file can be much smaller. For instance the commands that do go to e:, then f:, or whatever; for usb, I think you can do %usbdrive%\whatever.evr. Okay, just an example. For the CD drive, I know you can do %usbdrive%\blabla.bla, just another example. I hope it works for you. :mrgreen:

MiniMe

Sorry!

#20 Post by MiniMe »

Sorry. :oops: For the CD drive, I meant %cddrive%\blabla.bla.