FrugalPup 20 - Puppy frugal installer.

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
foxpup

#141 Post by foxpup »

gyro wrote:@foxpup,
I think for now, I'll stick with using an alternate boot medium, and leave the Windows one to Windows.
I'll just make sure it's a lot more obvious in FrugalPup, if folk are choosing to clobber a Windows uefi boot.

gyro
You are the nicest guy in the house. :)
Just make sure you do not overwrite /EFI/ completely. Only add (or overwite in /EFI/boot ) inside /EFI/.
You may mess up the boot of another OS a bit, but this way you will probably not wipe out the boot installation alltogether.

You can also add an entry to your grub.cfg to chainload windows, like Grub4dos does whether windows is there or not.

Code: Select all

menuentry '<w> WINDOZE' --class os_win --id='windows' --hotkey='z'{
        insmod part_gpt
        insmod fat
        insmod ntfs
	insmod chain
	search --file --set root --no-floppy /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
	chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
}
This is what I use.
(For the hotkey: I have azerty, so hitting 'w' produces 'z'. :)

Another one to add:

menuentry "EFI Firmware configuration interface (BIOS)" --class func_firmware {fwsetup}

gyro

#142 Post by gyro »

I'm changing FrugalPup to "tar xf --overwrite" the boot stuff,
and adding red warning messages in FrugalPup and DiskPup about boot files being overwritten.

My Windows grub2 entry looks like:

if [ $grub_platform = 'efi' ]; then
    menuentry "Windows 10" {
        search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set  D123-A456
        chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    }
fi
Where 'D123-A456' is replaced with the real uuid of the Windows fat32 uefi boot partition.

gyro

gyro

test FrugalPup uefi compatibility with ".zip"

#143 Post by gyro »

test FrugalPup uefi compatibility with ".zip"

I have uploaded 'test-efi-no-sec-17.zip' (1.1MiB) and 'test-efi-no-sec-18.zip' (2.1MiB) to http://www.mediafire.com/folder/rdyc5lgzpeij1/frugalpup.

Each is meant to be unzipped to the root of an empty usb stick. They expand to less than 10MiB.
Then attempt to uefi boot the usb stick using the bios boot menu.
If it boots to a yellow on blue grub2 menu, then FrugalPup should be able to install Puppies that will uefi boot on your machine.
If it is available, but booting it fails authentication, then "SecureBoot" is still enabled. But FrugalPup installs should uefi boot on your machine, if you disable "SecureBoot".
If the usb stick does not appear in the bios boot menu, then there is no chance that FrugalPup installs will uefi boot on your machine.

'test-efi-no-sec-17.zip' does not contain 32bit uefi support, and so represents the capability of current FrugalPup's.

'test-efi-no-sec-18.zip' contains the 32bit uefi support, that will be included in the next release of FrugalPup.

My "Lenovo ideapad 100S", with "SecureBoot" disabled, boots a 'test-efi-no-sec-18.zip' stick, but fails to recognise a 'test-efi-no-sec-17.zip' stick.
But my desktop machine will boot both.

gyro

gyro

FrugalPup 18, DiskPup 18, StickPup 18 and f2StickPup 18

#144 Post by gyro »

FrugalPup 18, DiskPup 18, StickPup 18 and f2StickPup 18 - Puppy frugal installers.

Download extra sfs 'frugalpup_18.sfs' from http://www.mediafire.com/folder/rdyc5lgzpeij1/frugalpup (2.6 MiB).

This is another bugfix release.

Bug:
FrugalPup and DiskPup delete all files in '/boot' and '/EFI' on fat32 boot partition.

Fix:
All installers in the FrugalPup group, now only overwrite individual files.
So, any files with non-matching names will be retained.
e.g. any files in '/EFI/Microsoft' will be retained.
Also, both FrugalPup and DiskPup contain warning messages about the overwriting.

Bug:
FrugalPup did not contain any support for 'bootia32.efi' (32bit).
FrugalPup installs did not work on uefi computers that looked for '/EFI/boot/bootia32.efi'.

Fix:
Support for 'bootia32.efi' is now included in all FrugalPup installers.

gyro

gyro

#145 Post by gyro »

Thanks to "jamesbond", I now have an efi boot solution that should work in most situations.
It supports both 32bit and 64bit efi.
It supports "SecureBoot" enabled, provided the "Puppy_key.cer" is enrolled as a MOK.
Of course it also works with "SecureBoot" disabled.

Now I have to fix FrugalPup to do installs that include this new efi stuff.

The next version will also, in a non-uefi boot, chainload grub2 from grub4dos. (The grub4dos mbr installer is much much easier to use than the grub2 one.).
Thanks to "foxpup" for this suggestion.

There are a couple of features I'm considering, that probably won't make it into the next version, but maybe the one after that.

1. Add a new facility to FrugalPup called "Grub2" that installs Grub2 to a selected fat32 partition.
And change the "Boot" facility so that it no longer installs Grub2, just creates/updates the 'grub.cfg' file.

2. Provide a facility to update the 'grub.cfg' file with an appropriate "Windows" boot entry.

gyro

jamesbond

#146 Post by jamesbond »

gyro wrote:Thanks to "jamesbond", I now have an efi boot solution that should work in most situations.
You're welcome.
The next version will also, in a non-uefi boot, chainload grub2 from grub4dos. (The grub4dos mbr installer is much much easier to use than the grub2 one.).
Thanks to "foxpup" for this suggestion.
This is actually a brilliant idea. I tested this and it worked very well.

Grub4dos is easy to use, but it is an ageing software: even when using the latest version of grub4dos 0.4.6 from Dec 2019, loading a 78MB initrd from an ext4 partition from qemu (whose disk is a RAM disk!) takes a solid 30 seconds. If you use grub4dos, don't use ext4, use ext3 and don't use large partition (16GB is about the max). Grub2 (chainloaded from grub4dos) on the other hand has none of this problem - it loads the same initrd in less than 2 seconds.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

gyro

#147 Post by gyro »

FrugalPup 18sb, DiskPup 18sb, StickPup 18sb and f2StickPup 18sb - Puppy frugal installer.

Download extra sfs 'frugalpup_18sb.sfs' from http://www.mediafire.com/folder/rdyc5lgzpeij1/frugalpup (2.9 MiB).

This is a test release.
It includes the latest "jamesbond" support for uefi with SecureBoot,
this includes support for computers that require 32bit uefi,
and a Puppy MOK in the file 'puppy_key.cer'.

When doing a uefi boot of an install by this FrugalPup,
for the first time on a particular computer with "SecureBoot" enabled,
MOK processing will be entered, simply "enroll" the key stored in the file '/puppy_key.cer'.
Subsequent boots on the same computer, should proceed directly to the Grub2 menu.

Of course you can avoid the MOK processing, by disabling "SecureBoot".

This FrugalPup still supports non-uefi booting with Grub2, so the same 'grub.cfg' is used for all booting.
Only it now chainloads Grub2 from grub4dos, hence the presence of '/grldr' and '/menu.lst'.

Note on MOK processing:
It seems that the partition selection screen is a little more user friently if the fat32 boot partition has a label.

MOK: Machine Owner Key

gyro

bigpup

#148 Post by bigpup »

FrugalPup 18sb

did an install of Bionicpup64 8.0 to a USB flash drive.
Drive partitioned with two partitions.
small fat32 first partition
ext3 2nd partition.

Installed Bionicpup to 2nd partition and boot stuff to first partition.
Installed uefi boot.

First boot on a computer with secure boot enabled.
Did as you say
MOK processing will be entered, simply "enroll" the key stored in the file '/puppy_key.cer'.
It booted, with no problems, with secure boot enabled.

Excellent!
Thanks for getting this secure boot enabled working!!

Only problems.

When doing the MOK processing.
The selection screens are a little confusing as to what do you actually highlight and use.
There is more than one screen that pops up with selections.

Tried different boot selection.
Selected boot type:
both.
Got this error. (see image)
Attachments
capture373.png
(7.25 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

gyro

#149 Post by gyro »

@bigpup,
Thanks for testing.

Yes, the MOK screens need documentation. but since we are not the only folk who use MOK manager, I'm hoping to find some on the web before the release of FrugalPup v19.

Error message:
It means exactly what it says, the script '/usr/local/frugalpup /frugalpup-dobootpart' failed because it could not find the named directory.
The named directory looks quite odd, as though the script got a little confused. The question is, why did it try to use that name?
Unfortunately I would need to know the full set of imputs used to get to that result, in order to have any chance reproducing it.

gyro

jamesbond

#150 Post by jamesbond »

gyro wrote:Yes, the MOK screens need documentation. but since we are not the only folk who use MOK manager, I'm hoping to find some on the web before the release of FrugalPup v19.
You can find one here. The location of the key is a bit different, but everything else should more or less work the same way. Feel free to modify as needed (edit the image with mtpaint/gimp if you like :lol:)
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

bigpup

#151 Post by bigpup »

Bionicpup64 8.0
Frugal install
Save folder

Bionicpup updates installs Frugalpup v11 and only puts stickpup in the menu.
666philb only wanted to use Stickpup in the menu, but the complete Frugalpup is there, when frugalpup is run from terminal.

The Frugalpup _18sb.sfs loads. but no menu entry is made.
Still have to run from terminal.
does not seem to show up as 18sb when you run it.
It still shows as v11.
So, I assume it is still v11 running.

I turned the FrugalPup_18sb.sfs into a pet package.
Installed the pet.
Now have FrugalPup in menu.
It runs FrugalPup 18sb
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#152 Post by bigpup »

Error message:
It means exactly what it says, the script '/usr/local/frugalpup /frugalpup-dobootpart' failed because it could not find the named directory.
The named directory looks quite odd, as though the script got a little confused. The question is, why did it try to use that name?
Unfortunately I would need to know the full set of imputs used to get to that result, in order to have any chance reproducing it.
USB flash drive.
2 partitions.
sdb1 fat32 small 500MB
sdb2 ext 3 28GB

This is strange.
I originally got this error when trying to install a boot loader in sdb1.
Selected both as boot type.
I was using the Frugalpup 18sb sfs loaded in Xenialpup64 7.5.

I tried it again now using Frugalpup 18sb as an installed pet in Bionicpup64 8.0.
No error.
It installed both boot loader types in sdb1.

Process followed.
Main Window select Puppy button.
Source type iso.
Selected the iso containing files.
Selected sdb2 as location to contain Puppy.
Made directory bionicpup6480 on sdb2
Choose sdb2/bionicpup6480 as directory to contain frugal puppy files.
Click ok, on sanity check, show all my selections as good.
Installation complete with frugal install in sdb2/bionicpup6480
Boot loader on sdb1
YaPI(any iso installer)

gyro

#153 Post by gyro »

jamesbond wrote:
gyro wrote:Yes, the MOK screens need documentation. but since we are not the only folk who use MOK manager, I'm hoping to find some on the web before the release of FrugalPup v19.
You can find one here. The location of the key is a bit different, but everything else should more or less work the same way. Feel free to modify as needed (edit the image with mtpaint/gimp if you like :lol:)
Thanks.
I will "borrow" it and hopefully change it to more acurately reflect the directory structure, I use.

gyro

gyro

#154 Post by gyro »

bigpup wrote:This is strange.
I originally got this error when trying to install a boot loader in sdb1.
Selected both as boot type.
I was using the Frugalpup 18sb sfs loaded in Xenialpup64 7.5.

I tried it again now using Frugalpup 18sb as an installed pet in Bionicpup64 8.0.
No error.
It installed both boot loader types in sdb1.
I was afraid of that.
I'll try using the .sfs in Xenialpup64.

Re Bionicpup64:
Aa you are aware, every time you update it, FrugalPup returns to v11, because that is included in the update .zip file.
So the update writes FrugalPup v11 to the savefolder, which of course "covers" the contents of any FrugalPup.sfs.
An alternative way of dealing with this is to remove all the files in '/usr/local/frugalpup' and '/usr/local/mi-utils' from the Bionicpup64 savefolder, using a different Puppy.
Also, 'FrugalPup' can be enabled in the menu with the menu editor.

gyro

gyro

#155 Post by gyro »

@bigpup,
I am unable to reproduce the error you saw, even using Xenialpup64 and a stick with fat32 and ext3 partitions.

However I did find a bug:
The "Puppy" facility fails to write Puppy files to the root of a partiition, i.e. if there is no "psubdir" specified, even though it says it does.
The fix will be part of the next version.

gyro

bigpup

#156 Post by bigpup »

I got around the V11 problem in Bionicpup64 8.0 by installing FrugalPup 18sb as a pet package not loaded as a sfs.
That overwrites, what is in the save, to the newer version.
YaPI(any iso installer)

gyro

#157 Post by gyro »

bigpup wrote:Tried different boot selection.
Selected boot type:
both.
Got this error. (see image)
I've found a situation that produces that error message.
The problem is FrugalPup's 2 step process in selecting a direcory,
1. Select a partition.
2. Select a directory.
The assumption is that the directory selected in step 2. is within the partition selected in step 1.
If the selected directory is in some other partition, then the problem occurs.

Unfortunately, FrugalPup often uses this process.
I'll have to review each of these cases to ensure that the selected partition always contains the selected directory.

It would be easiest if I could get yad to only allow selection of a directory within a specified partition, but I don't think that is possible.

The reason for using a 2 step process is so that FrugalPup can mount the selected partition before directory selection, if it is not already.mounted.

Note: I suspect that this is an issue for all versions of FrugalPup.

gyro

gyro

FrugalPup 18t

#158 Post by gyro »

FrugalPup 18t, DiskPup 18t, StickPup 18t and f2StickPup 18t - Puppy frugal installer.

Download extra sfs 'frugalpup_18t.sfs' from http://www.mediafire.com/folder/rdyc5lgzpeij1/frugalpup (2.9 MiB).

This is a test release.

It includes fixes for both bugs mentioned above.
It does not include any MOK doco.

gyro

#159 Post by gyro »

Known issue:

The "BootCD" facility in "FrugalPup" does not produce a bootable ".iso" file.
It needs to be re-worked since the change to booting grub4dos and then chaining to grub2.

gyro

gyro

#160 Post by gyro »

FrugalPup 19, DiskPup 19, StickPup 19 and f2StickPup 19 - Puppy frugal installer.

Download extra sfs 'frugalpup_19.sfs' from http://www.mediafire.com/folder/rdyc5lgzpeij1/frugalpup (2.9 MiB).

This is a feature release.

1. Support for "Secure Boot"
Thanks to forum member "jamesbond", support is included for booting Puppy while "Secure Boot" is enabled.
Although this does require the "enrolling" of a MOK (Machine Owner Key), with MOK manager.
The Puppy MOK is contained in the file "/puppy.cer" in the fat32 install partition.
Documentation of the "enroll" process is included in FrugalPup's "Help" facility.

2. Non-uefi boots now use grub4dos to chainload Grub2, rather than directly booting Grub2.
Installing the mbr for grub4dos is a lot simpler than installing the mbr for Grub2.

3. The FrugalPup "BootCD" facility has been re-worked to cleanly ignore installing grub4dos.
Even though it is a non-uefi boot, it still boots Grub2 directly.

gyro